Remastered Pilot Screenshots

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dugpa
Site Admin

Remastered Pilot Screenshots

Post by dugpa »

Take a gander at the clarity that we will be getting in October...

http://www.resetmag.com/HTML/news.asp?InfoID=12391
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Interesting. There is more visual information on the left, right and bottom. A little has been chopped off the top though. Still, looks like more picture overall.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I noticed that as well. Too bad the series wasn't shot in 16x9. I remember back in 2000, Artisan did some tests to convert the Series to 16x9 since the Series was originally shot on film. However it didn't work out as early tests revealed lots of boom mics and dollies in the shots.
D0ppelgangerDale
Roadhouse Member

Post by D0ppelgangerDale »

Looks great. Can't wait :D
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Looking at the screen grabs, I'm again reminded that Audrey's hair was SO bad in the pilot!! If sherilyn had kept that style for the series, I doubt she would have gotten near the amount of attention as she got.
Simon

Post by Simon »

This looks fantastic. Still don't know why they didn't do it 5 years ago. Anyway, I'm glad season one is being released separately at least in France - which means those of us in Europe who have already gone ahead and bought season 2 separately can get hold of the remastered pilot without shelling out for the 'complete mystery' set.
charles
RR Diner Member

Post by charles »

This is what I've been waiting for.... FOREVER! I am So f-ing excited about the remastered Pilot!!! It's going to take some getting used to the warmer, more saturated color. I've been watching the washed out Pilot (I've actually come to expect it and I adore its muted tones) for so long that I feel a bit nervous about seeing this crisp, technicolor version. It's like butterflies on a first date or something.... god, I'm a loser and it feels so good.
Red Room
RR Diner Member

Post by Red Room »

Well, it looks like I'll have to buy the new set now! I wasn't sure previously, as I already have the pilot as part of the excellent Region 2 set for Season 1... However, the colour & crispness of this newly re-invigorated version are just too good to ignore.

Shit, there goes more of my hard-earned cash... ;-)

RR
snellwilco

Post by snellwilco »

dugpa wrote:I noticed that as well. Too bad the series wasn't shot in 16x9. I remember back in 2000, Artisan did some tests to convert the Series to 16x9 since the Series was originally shot on film. However it didn't work out as early tests revealed lots of boom mics and dollies in the shots.
Where did you get this rumor that Artisan tried to convert it to 16X9 in 2000? How would that have been possible? If they tried to use the 4:3 safe zones, OF COURSE there would have been a lot of mikes and booms in the safes zones - that's why they are the freakin' safe zones! I want some of whatever they were smoking over at Artisan.

OTOH, was Twin Peaks an open matte production that was framed at 4:3 for television? Well, if that's the case than that is big news, and the IMDB entry saying the series was 1.33X1 should be updated to reflect a
separate negative and release ratios as is the case for EWS: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120663/technical
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

This is what Eli Roth told me back when he was working for Lynch in 2000 while working with Artisan to get the negatives.

I'll see if I can ask around for the specifics on whether Twin Peaks was shot open matte. Unfortunately I don't have a direct link to getting questions answered from Lynch but I have met numerous people over the years that may have contacts with some of the cinematographers.

I know there was an interview with Ron Garcia in American Cinematographer for FWWM. I wonder if in that article he reveals the details of filming the Pilot.

-B
snellwilco

Post by snellwilco »

dugpa wrote:
I'll see if I can ask around for the specifics on whether Twin Peaks was shot open matte.
-B
That will certainly be interesting. Film is costly...if a bunch of it was going to be thrown away, essentially, for the product as actually delivered to the underwriters (network), they would have at least wanted to know about it.

Another arcane aspect - anybody know if TP (the series) was 24FPS or 30FPS? I don't have the ability that some do to instantly spot cadence (and I know I could figure it out by ripping the dvd and examining the frames in something like virtualdub). My understand is standard practice nowadays is 30FPS for film produced NTSC television, but I'm not sure if it has always been that way. And I recall reading that the TP pilot was projected, as a film, at a TP fest once upon a time. A standard theatrical projector cannot run at 30FPS - something exotic like a Kinoton can. So I'm not sure how they projected it in a typical venue if it was 30FPS.
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

I can't be positive, but I would imagine that it was shot at 24fps. The entire pilot was shot like a movie. Remember that part of the reason the "closed" ending was shot was so Warner Brothers could release it theatrically overseas if the show didn't take off.
snellwilco

Post by snellwilco »

I think you are probably right. And they might have stayed with 24fps because it saves film and for visual continuity with the rest of the series.

I've read more about it now and 24 FPS for television was definitely the standard for that time, and probably still is.

Oh well, at any frame rate I'm glad it was shot on film. It's tragic to me that the BBC shot all of their dramatic series on video in the 70s and 80s - and 90s for that matter. Some of it was forgettable of course, and some things like the special effects in 70s era Doctor Who were so cheesy anyhow, that I don't think the cheap look of video makes a difference to my enjoyment. But something like their amazing adaptation of "Lives and Loves of a She Devil" should have been recognized for its potential to be a timeless (camp) classic. Which it is.