DUNE to Be Released 10/21/21

Discussion of Dune

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Annie
Global Moderator

DUNE to Be Released 10/21/21

Post by Annie »

So I am excited as hell. But not going to movie theaters yet. I'm looking into HBO Max. Anybody else really looking forward to this?! If you go see it I don't think there's a problem posting spoilers. So please post reviews here!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: DUNE to Be Released 10/21/21

Post by mtwentz »

Annie wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:39 pm So I am excited as hell. But not going to movie theaters yet. I'm looking into HBO Max. Anybody else really looking forward to this?! If you go see it I don't think there's a problem posting spoilers. So please post reviews here!
I read somewhere it needs to be seen on the big screen to get the full effect.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

It's very good.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

mtwentz wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:49 pmI read somewhere it needs to be seen on the big screen to get the full effect.
I know but I'm not going into movie theaters yet due to COVID. I'll try to see it this weekend.

@Histeria, I'm so jealous!
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Not out in Australia til December, which will massively hurt the box office takings here for sure.

I watched it on Saturday on the projector at home. It is very good, but I still prefer the Lynch version. This is like a Nolan Batman film vs a Burton one - the visuals and general wow factor are much better in the latter, and the former is more serious and realistic.

Since I know the book so well, I found it hard to relax and just go with the film, since I was always just ticking off a list of things from the book. But I love the fact that the new film is so uncompromising. No clunky exposition, not a lot of explanation, absolutely no insulting of the intelligence. There is spectacle, but the pace is glacial (which it has to be - the plot of the book is actually pretty slow). Am pretty amazed that a studio was willing to spend so much on it. They were probably thinking it would spin off into a Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings style franchise, but this is way less accessible (and the sequels are basically unfilmable once you get to the fourth one). I'm going to be watching it load of times :D
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Histeria wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:10 pm It's very good.
I think we watched 2 different movies. Didn't really care much for it at all.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

baxter wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:21 pm Not out in Australia til December, which will massively hurt the box office takings here for sure.

I watched it on Saturday on the projector at home. It is very good, but I still prefer the Lynch version. This is like a Nolan Batman film vs a Burton one - the visuals and general wow factor are much better in the latter, and the former is more serious and realistic.

Since I know the book so well, I found it hard to relax and just go with the film, since I was always just ticking off a list of things from the book. But I love the fact that the new film is so uncompromising. No clunky exposition, not a lot of explanation, absolutely no insulting of the intelligence. There is spectacle, but the pace is glacial (which it has to be - the plot of the book is actually pretty slow). Am pretty amazed that a studio was willing to spend so much on it. They were probably thinking it would spin off into a Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings style franchise, but this is way less accessible (and the sequels are basically unfilmable once you get to the fourth one). I'm going to be watching it load of times :D
I am very disappointed. And I agree with most of what you said. I love the Lynch movie. This was so hyped that the director had read the books & wanted to be faithful to them. Then he wasn't! I gave them an A for cinematography but that's about all.
After watching it on the small screen I totally agree that it would be better in a real theater. I'll watch it again since I paid for HBO Max but I'm not happy.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Just found this article from the New Yorker: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-f ... o-dullness
I wasn't the only one...
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Thanks for the link, Annie. That review is pretty spot on to how I feel. The whole thing just seemed pretty bland and art-less to me. In terms of the narrative and unfolding of the story I thought it was a fine, obviously more accessible than Lynch's script but I was very underwhelmed with the execution. I've used the word "lifeless" in describing it more than once.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Just read on Twitter somebody said "New Dune doesn't compare to Lynch's. Lynch is a master."
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

I saw it in the theater yesterday, and I'm not disappointed, because the film was mostly like I expected it to be: fine execution, but "lifeless", "artless", and cannot compare with Lynch's version, like some of you have said. His Dune is a bit trashy, but so much more memorable. This was like a fine meal which makes you full, but you won't think of coming back or recommending it to anyone.

I'm also disappointed with the visuals; nothing special. The film is grey, and that's it.

It simply made me want to rewatch the 1984 version.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

It's sad to me that you say "the film is grey." I expected so much. But if it drives people to go watch Lynch's movie, that's good!
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I prefer the Lynch one. After the whole Butlerian Jihad, the human race got into mind expansion, and trying to get away from computers/AI/robots, I kinda liked how Lynch and co made everything look Edwardian/ Victorian, some parts looked like out of Dostoevesky, the huge coat on Freddie Jones as Thufir for example. The giant speakers that the Guild carry, so many interesting details that made it seem like the past, but the future at the same time.

There's some cool stuff with the space ships, and the spice harvesters in the new one, that look straight out of Heavy Metal magazine, but color scheme wise, it's like this Minority Report cold blue and grey thing for a lot of it, most all sci fi has used for 20 years now.

Also, Sian Philips so intense as the reverend mother, and the novel very clearly states she has piercing eyes. The veil on Charlotte Rampling felt like a hijab, or something out of harem, implied to me that women are inferior, subservient to men, and afraid of confrontation, really bothered me. Not how I see Bene Gesserit.

In general, I preferred the Shakespearean over the top thespians Lynch used. People like Freddie Jones so unique. Though Javier Bardem is fantastic, very charismatic.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Yeah, there's something kind of strange about how sleek and modern the new Dune is aesthetically. It's supposed to be a setting where technology was done away with, but, to steal from a random tweet, I can't take the immersion seriously because Timothee Chalamet 'has a face that knows what texting is.'
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Agreed with most of what others have said. It also strikes me as odd how, despite the protracted runtime and covering only half the material of the first book, Villeneuve’s movie doesn’t cover anymore story than Lynch managed to do in the first half of his film. In fact, although Villeneuve said he wasn’t thinking about Lynch’s film, he leaves out pretty much all the same story beats as the Lynch film did: the conservatory/“weirding room,” the banquet scene, the Fenrings, Thufir thinking Jessica is a traitor, the book version of Kynes’s death (which reveals the relationship between the worms and the spice), etc. Aside from a few little details like the bull’s head and the palm trees, Villeneuve really didn’t add any book elements that Lynch hadn’t already covered. I suppose he was more interested in atmosphere/mood, but I don’t feel he succeeded terribly well in that regard either, at least for me. It felt somehow both rushed and too slow at the same time, and didn’t display much imagination in the design.