Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jonah »

BOB1 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:00 pm I don't think Rodd meant anything supernatural and of course he is not any supernatural being himself. He is just what he looks. But he senses things. People in Twin Peaks sense things, actually people everywhere sense things they don't understand but somehow are aware of them. In the world of Twin Peaks perhaps it's just more intense.
Great point. I do think this was implied too.
BOB1 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:00 pm Now guys, can you brief me - what was discussed on over 400 pages of this topic - in, say, three sentences? I don't think I'm strong enough to read it :D
Where to start?

I can't do it in just a few sentences but I can give you a short-ish summary in one paragraph, then a few more for a bit more detail.

Basically - Well, there's been a lot of speculation, reading into things cast members posted on social media, things Lynch and Sabrina Sutherland said and did. Also there was an original rumour that surfaced on reddit and scripts that were copyrighted, the latter being the only real evidence and even then people say that doesn't necessarily mean the project is going ahead. A lot more mounting speculation that thus far hasn't led to much of anything, which has caused a lot of frustration.

In a bit more detail -

Some cast members were posting wisteria flowers on social media and as the working title(s) of the upcoming project has been rumoured then revealed to be either Wisteria or Unrecorded Night it's caused people to wonder if they're posting it because they're hoping to be part of it and/or are in the know.

We do know Lynch had thirteen scripts copyrighted under the title Unrecorded Night, that there was a rumour by an insider on reddit that said a new Netflix show would be made with budget of 85 million and 13 or 25 episodes.

We also know Lynch's name now solely appears on filings for Twin Peaks Productions and Frost's no longer does.

And Sabrina Sutherland started a new instagram that has a lot of posts about behind the scenes shooting on Season 3 and recently commented the only thing she and Lynch are working on "right now" are his Instagram/weather reports and his art. Some people took "his art" to mean filmmaking projects, others to mean his fine art, paintings etc.

So lots of speculation, some social media posts, lots of what were perceived as hints, then the actual evidence of scripts being copyrighted, the reddit rumour which seems mostly legit in that the scripts being copyrighted seemed to lend credence to it, but not sure if all of it is/was true.

There were a couple of Production Weekly listings for a new Lynch show, called Unrecorded Night, on Netflix. But they stopped posting them.

There were also comments from cast members about upcoming projects, but they seem to be attached to other projects for now, so it's unclear if they were talking about those ones or possibly a Lynch project.

Current thinking ranges from nothing is happening to something is happening to something might be happening to something was happening but may currently be cancelled or delayed due to the pandemic. The latest posts are less hopeful and seem to point to nothing happened or delayed/cancelled. But no one really knows. It's quite possibly something is still happening, just not right now.

That's the best summary I can come up with - others might want to add more to it!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Interesting re: Rodd's "I've been places" comment. I had always interpreted it as some sense of supernatural due to the delivery and the way it was triggered, and while Frost had nothing to do with FWWM, I never questioned his interpretation of Rodd in Secret History since it seemed "obvious" to me. But, food for thought.
David Lich
Roadhouse Member

Post by David Lich »

Mordeen wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:08 am tao_2021.jpg

- Mordeen
"there are owls... " ?
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

David Lich wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:02 pm
Mordeen wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:08 am tao_2021.jpg

- Mordeen
"there are owls... " ?
- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

But are they at the roadhouse? Or in Calvert Studios?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Lurking in the trees, but they're snakes.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

The Sam Stanley character was also itemizing in his head the cost of the Dear Meadow sheriff station. I think Rodd picked up on them being judgmental.

I know middle aged and older people just like Carl Rodd who have sorta given up on ambition, their dreams , and count their blessings, get comfortable with where they're at.
He doesn't wanna be bothered, "this just means more shit I gotta do now", and so forth. that's how I read his character.

but great thing about TP is you can look at it as science fiction/fantasy, or meta commentary, or magical realist/abstraction.

though he doesnt like to talk about Dune, Lynch has said he doesn't like science fiction much, but the thing he was attracted to about he Frank Herbert book was it was just adventure/ sci fi on the surface, so I sorta go off of that when I watch TP, that the fantasy elements aren't literal, but I suppose if you go by Barthe's death of the author theory, you shouldn't take
puff piece interviews into account...

From Frost's books, it looks like he takes the supernatural stuff a bit more literal. Though, he does paint a picture of the white man exploiting spiritual elements from indigenous culture with the ring and so forth, which even if literal, has broader symbolic implications of colonialism and imperialism at large I guess.
David Lich
Roadhouse Member

Post by David Lich »

Mordeen wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:11 pm Lurking in the trees, but they're snakes.

- Mordeen
its slippery in there?
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

I took There Are Owls to mean there are owls on the forum, especially with the post a little ways back of the Giant telling Coop better to listen than to talk.

Don’t know why anything said here would matter to a potential production as we’re all just fans, so I’m probably just interpreting it wrong.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Hester Prynne wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:11 am I took There Are Owls to mean there are owls on the forum, especially with the post a little ways back of the Giant telling Coop better to listen than to talk.

Don’t know why anything said here would matter to a potential production as we’re all just fans, so I’m probably just interpreting it wrong.
Unless the owls in the Roadhouse/forum are members of production.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Okay, spill the beans, Histeria :wink:

Well, if there are, I hope I speak for everyone that I really hope they will make something. Don’t care if it’s Twin Peaks related or not — I’ll subscribe to the streaming service, buy the t-shirts and key chains, buy another “complete series” — I’m all in :D
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Someone already clocked on around a dozen pages back.

I am Sabrina Sutherland.

I mean I'm not really Sabrina Sutherland but what if I was.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I’ve got another theory...

Histeria is the long lost Arbogast!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I remember someone making a joke about Sabrina hiding that person behind that red Zoom background filter thingy.

What happened to them, out of interest?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Is it a Psycho reference?