Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ickles
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Ickles »

Histeria wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:33 am She controls all his social accounts and keeps on top of all that's happening in TP fan circles online. Online presence manager, online liason, online monitor, and online agent.

I think enforcer was fair.
But not from her personal account, which is what folks are looking at. If she was doing stuff from the official David Lynch Theater account, maybe but this is her personal account. I'm not saying this to shoot down any excitement or fan theories. By all means be into it. I just more feel bad for her, I guess, in that it seems like she recently went to some lengths to re-do her IG account with a different handle, perhaps a more anonymous one and us fans immediately pounced on trying to parse meaning from every post or like.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:37 am I’m still not entirely convinced it’s Peaks though. Yes, she’s been posting a bunch of Peaks-related stuff. But I’m with Ickles that she could just be doing that to enthuse us for new Lynch in general (realistically, what else is she going to post, if it’s a brand new property and she can’t reveal anything about it?). The use of TP hashtags may be to bring people/eyes to her account. Call me a cynic.
That's one of the more plausible scenarios assuming it's not Twin Peaks. But I've discussed how it would be atrociously bad for both that show and PR in general. I still maintain they wouldn't be that cynical or commit such a grave strategic error.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Ickles wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:39 am But not from her personal account, which is what folks are looking at. If she was doing stuff from the official David Lynch Theater account, maybe but this is her personal account. I'm not saying this to shoot down any excitement or fan theories. By all means be into it. I just more feel bad for her, I guess, in that it seems like she recently went to some lengths to re-do her IG account with a different handle, perhaps a more anonymous one and us fans immediately pounced on trying to parse meaning from every post or like.
Hmm :P

Firstly, she's doing it from DLT, too.

But I really don't share your interpretation of the intent behind this new handle. At all. That's a subjective judgement call, though. Not really falsifiable either way until we get more news.

But I really disagree with the assessment. For the same reason as my earlier post, but also because of the content and how different it is from other ones. Especially those stories that disappear after a few hours.

Those stories are screaming "pre-production pre-announcement tease". But that's another subjective matter of perception, albeit one colored by my experience within similar scenarios and from following lots of pre-production build-up for other projects over the years.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Histeria wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:40 am
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:37 am I’m still not entirely convinced it’s Peaks though. Yes, she’s been posting a bunch of Peaks-related stuff. But I’m with Ickles that she could just be doing that to enthuse us for new Lynch in general (realistically, what else is she going to post, if it’s a brand new property and she can’t reveal anything about it?). The use of TP hashtags may be to bring people/eyes to her account. Call me a cynic.
That's one of the more plausible scenarios assuming it's not Twin Peaks. But I've discussed how it would be atrociously bad for both that show and PR in general. I still maintain they wouldn't be that cynical or commit such a grave strategic error.
I guess I’m coming at it from the perspective of someone who’s excited for any Lynch project at all. And Sabrina might be, too — i.e., targeting/drawing in Peaks fans who she hopes will enjoy a new Lynch TV series. I can’t imagine anyone who WOULD have watched an original Lynch series suddenly boycotting it solely because of social media shenanigans (even if they might be a bit peeved), so it doesn’t really lose them anything either way, and they gain early interest in the project from a broader base.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Sure, most wouldn't "boycott" it but it would still become a case study on how to damage the production and the title's reputation before it's even started shooting.

They just wouldn't do it. I raised this possibility in a work meeting this morning and they all (with decades of experience in PR) said it would be the absolute dumbest thing they could do.

Yes, it gains grassroots interest from a very concentrated and captive audience. But it's underhanded, cynical, and even cruel. It's not a plausible scenario.

They have a client who's paying for all and this and it wouldn't be accepted by them even if it was the indended strategy.

Edit: and also, if this was a new IP would Lynch even be going through these games in the first place? Since when has he cared about "drumming up" interest in a show he's already sold. He wouldn't let Showtime put out trailers. At least with TP there's a precedent and a very very concentrated fanbase that the production has been in a constant dialogue with since the 1990s. So many fans and the crew are on first name terms (even ignoring the unprecedented overlap)
Last edited by Histeria on Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Ickles wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:39 am But not from her personal account, which is what folks are looking at. If she was doing stuff from the official David Lynch Theater account, maybe but this is her personal account. I'm not saying this to shoot down any excitement or fan theories. By all means be into it. I just more feel bad for her, I guess, in that it seems like she recently went to some lengths to re-do her IG account with a different handle, perhaps a more anonymous one and us fans immediately pounced on trying to parse meaning from every post or like.
Ickles, I had initially also thought Sabrina's account (by name etc.) seemed strangely low-key and almost anonymous, but her posts themselves are anything but. It's a weird mix of an account that seems sort of on the down low but posts that are very high profile and fan-baiting. I'm not sure how I feel about it - but I'm mostly on board with everything else.

I posted some of the best stuff a few posts up (second post at the top of this page), quoting stuff histeria and others pointed out, plus some of the social media stuff. Not all of it is very strong evidence but I think overall it all indicates something is happening.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Fair enough. I'll just drop it because I think this is more of a semantic difference on social media and its role in stuff like this more than looking at the specific posts themselves. Again, not trying to rain on anybody's parade or talk them out of reading meaning into one thing or another, just more explaining why it doesn't hold as much water for me personally. It definitely is fun speculation fodder and a big reason why this thread is nearing 400 pages. We're all in the wait together and definitely appreciate everybody's perspectives. Just hurry up with something official, powers that be!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Ickles wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:23 am Just hurry up with something official, powers that be!
Hear hear!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

This idea of 13 Twin Peaks films sounds very plausible to me. Twin Peaks universe, but all of the loose threads left from the previous seasons don’t need to be interconnected.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Lynch loves a continuing story but he also likes making more stand-alone trips into TP Land - his episodes in the original series, especially 29; FWWM; and even The Return was one long film. I'd expect a new iteration to be either a series of films (likely interconnected) or the one long film format again, perhaps a bit of both.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Someone recently asked if the Code Of Conduct was removed from the board. It was not. Here is a link:

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=66566#p66566

A reminder that all who registered to use this forum have agreed to the following terms:

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “World of Blue - Twin Peaks - David Lynch” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “World of Blue - Twin Peaks - David Lynch” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. You agree to treat other users and moderators with mutual respect. Name calling and insulting other board members will cause you to be permanently banned without notice. You agree to create a single unique user account. In the event you lose your account password you can request an administrator to reset your password. Any board member caught creating multiple accounts will be permanently banned. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. Neither “World of Blue - Twin Peaks - David Lynch” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.

As we know our members are passionate about their love for all things David Lynch, we ask that you remember to treat others with mutual respect despite having differing viewpoints.

If you can't do this, you will be banned.

Also, a reminder that discussing politics is not allowed:

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=25160#p25160

A further reminder. If you see a post that violates any of the above, hit the report button.

Going off-topic. Several years ago, some of you might remember that I attempted to move some off-topic discussion from one of the main Twin Peaks threads. The overwhelming response was no, let us go off topic to keep the discussion free flowing whilst concrete news is at a standstill. Things may tighten up once news breaks and things get busy again, but until then, those were the wishes of the board.

Thanks.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Thanks Jerry.

Page 400!

Is this now the longest thread on the forum?

(If it's not the longest, it's definitely right up there. The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group Thread reached 375 pages before it went dormant in 2018 - and this thread has now surpassed that one.)

(Edit - Nope, NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread is 568 pages! It went dormant in 2017. Is THAT the longest one then?)
Last edited by Jonah on Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Apologies again for the original post re: casting that got the thread sidetracked into that political discussion. I truly didn't intend to open up that can of worms and it was just poor judgement on my part, to not account for the direction the conversation might go. I'll refrain from straying into any remotely political territory in the future. Definitely noted!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'm not sure discussing diversity in terms of casting is necessarily political though, is it? I know a poster made it political by discussing "the left", but everyone else pretty much kept it to diversity. I stayed out of it apart from posting one post a couple of pages after it had died down, but while it was going on I saw others saying they didn't want the conversation to go in a political direction, that they weren't American and it didn't apply to them. I'm pretty sure we can discuss diversity or the lack thereof in the casting and other stuff like that. By discuss, I don't mean the thread should detour into pages and pages of that kind of thing like it did - but if we mention it or topics like that from time to time (in a respectful way, of course), I imagine that would be okay? Is it Jerry? I mean, I don't consider that political stuff - though probably it's also best to keep it to a minimum or threads that are focused on that topic in particular.

(I never understood why certain topics tend to veer into politics. No offense to my American friends, but is it more of a US thing? Or just an internet thing? )
Last edited by Jonah on Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I think the question of Lynch and race is a discussion worth having, and an interesting one—and I agree with Jonah, I don’t think it’s an inherently political topic at all. I’m pretty sure I’ve also brought it up in the past. Unfortunately, tensions are just too high on racial issues right now, at least in the US, and every time this conversation happens on here, it inevitably gets politicized very quickly. I learned to just steer clear of it. More’s the pity, because as I said, I do think there is some great discussion to be had and it’s certainly a nuanced and fascinating part of his canon. But probably not worth even trying, in my experience. (Not pointing fingers at anyone; just a general observation after seeing this topic crash and burn repeatedly whenever it’s brought up on here.)