Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Histeria »

He did read his daughter's book, though. Even wrote a forward to the latest edition.

The Return, which he co-wrote, quotes directly from that book. So does the S2 opening episode which he direcrd

Lynch was rude about Mark's book. It was rude to declare it "his verison" in such a public and dismissive way, void of any context.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Maybe Reindeer or LateReg can give their thoughts, but I think Lynch would view a tie-in novel as maybe giving too many secrets away.

Basically Frost’s book spoon feeds the idea of Sarah as the New Mexico girl.

Now most people on this board assume New Mexico girl is Sarah.

But in Lynch’s mind, New Mexico girl may be ....New Mexico girl.

And Lynch may not like naming her as a specific TP character.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I didn't like that, either tbf.

Still, they're equal custodians of a passion project. Lynch should have shown some more deference to that in his public statements. Must have been humiliating for Mark.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Anything ever come of that Half Mermaid/video game announcement? Has it happened yet? Not seeing anything on social media. I doubt it's directly related to Lynch/UN but they got me curious about it now. Well played, guys!
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Post by pinballmars »

Histeria wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:25 pm I do think Cooper has been on this crossing/mission dozens or hundreds of times. That's possibly why he's so jaded in P18. So functionary and mercenary. He knew what "430" was without being told it means miles on a dashboard. He knew exactly what he wanted from Diane at the motel. By rote.
My theory is that Cooper's personality in 18 is the result of creating the new "Dougie" who goes back to Janey-E and and Sonny Jim. In "Twin Peaks" world, the tulpa/doppelganger is a part of you that splits off. Cooper gave "Dougie" his own warmth and capacity to love and basically everything that would make a good husband and father. The Cooper in Odessa is what's left of himself after splitting in two again.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Ickles wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:52 pm Anything ever come of that Half Mermaid/video game announcement? Has it happened yet? Not seeing anything on social media. I doubt it's directly related to Lynch/UN but they got me curious about it now. Well played, guys!
Show starts in 5 minutes.

https://youtu.be/7GTHw3qbXQI

I too very much doubt it. But imagine it was.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

boske wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:22 pm When I was rewatching part 18 of S3, the interior of the car that Cooper and Diane were in (after they had "crossed the threshold") caught my attention, it was not a modern car, its steering wheel was rather old fashioned (slim), likewise for the seats, while Cooper and Diane had that retro look (cue Cooper's hair). As they entered the motel room, you could see that the camera panning was halted just as it was about to expose the part of the wall where the TV set would appear in the morning. They did use the same room, but they tried to hide anything modern looking about it (which is why I think it was shot in the dark, did they ever turn the lights on?). It was not the same motel in the morning though, and neither was the car. I'd have to rewatch this though once more though. So time travel seemed to play a role there. When Richard wakes up it is the "present", but when they crossed the threshold "the day before" it looked like 50s to me. So maybe the story could be about something related exclusively to this piece of part 18, which would make sense if that were the place where to continue the story anyway.
Great thoughts. But for the record, Diane does turn the lights on upon entering the hotel room. Cooper then tells her to turn off the light. When the light is on it is peculiarly harsh, btw. Like, pretty much garishly bright, and Cooper even winces and squints. It's almost like Lynch just left that 5-second part of that scene totally natural, like seeing yourself in a mirror in unforgiving lighting.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Wisteria is a constant.

Unrecorded Night has multiple representations in letters.

Not what it seems is correct.

POC is not an abbreviation or shorthand, all letters are words

Alas, 2022 was a typo. It was supposed to be 2021.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Mordeen wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:42 pm Wisteria is a constant.

- Mordeen
It is happening again = iiha?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mordeen wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:42 pm POC is not an abbreviation or shorthand, all letters are words
Is it an acronym?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

"Wisteria is a constant.

Unrecorded Night has multiple representations in letters."

Now that's a doozy, one way or another.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

mtwentz wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:46 pm Maybe Reindeer or LateReg can give their thoughts, but I think Lynch would view a tie-in novel as maybe giving too many secrets away.

Basically Frost’s book spoon feeds the idea of Sarah as the New Mexico girl.

Now most people on this board assume New Mexico girl is Sarah.

But in Lynch’s mind, New Mexico girl may be ....New Mexico girl.

And Lynch may not like naming her as a specific TP character.
Yes, well put, I agree with all that. Beyond giving secrets away, the books can also pin down certain interpretations and interfere with Lynch's own vision while in the act of creation, and therefore take away from the series, which in Lynch's mind, I think, is its own thing that must stand on its own; it goes along with that thing he said about how the most important thing is being true to an idea. For those reasons, I also don't view Lynch as being rude for saying the books are Mark's version. I get that he could have been more supportive in a promotional (or even friendship) sense, but that doesn't enter into it for me because I also get that that's not his bag, and I understand the way he speaks and to some degree the way he thinks as an artist and the need to keep Mark's version separate from his. To me, Lynch was just saying, Mark's books exist but they're Mark's personal vision, not to be confused with Lynch's personal vision, or even their shared vision of what they chose to include in the series.

Now, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed Mark's books immensely (especially Secret History, which is just a beautifully constructed and pretty damn fun thing) and believe they contain pertinent themes that aid in understanding what he (and Lynch!) were going for in The Return; themes, more so than specifics, take precedence. Obviously Mark had these ideas in his mind and probably shared many of them with Lynch while writing, and Lynch gave his blessing for Mark to take the books in any direction he chose. But everything outside of the series is probably interference to Lynch the director, and I get that, and I think Mark does too.
Last edited by LateReg on Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mordeen wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:42 pm Wisteria is a constant.

- Mordeen
My attempt to interpret this:

It was supposed to be released in 2021.

The actual title is Wisteria, but was copyrighted and otherwise documented as Unrecorded Night, which is its working title.

(Though it's probably also Twin Peaks or related.)

(POC, I'm not sure about. The usual acronym - not abbreviation or shorthand - is People of Colour. But there's many more. Proof of Concept? Point of Creation? Purchase Order Confirmation? Products Of Conception?)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Ickles wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:52 pm Anything ever come of that Half Mermaid/video game announcement? Has it happened yet? Not seeing anything on social media. I doubt it's directly related to Lynch/UN but they got me curious about it now. Well played, guys!
Well, it's co-written by Barry Gifford who wrote the Wild at Heart novel Lynch adapted and co-wrote Lost Highway with Lynch (and episode of Hotel Room).
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Planet Of Corn :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly