Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by sneakydave »

Mordeen wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:49 pm Dark Wood Moods persist in the absence of the owls.

imilii, lis

batsg, wkwow
Someone needs to crack this before I have an aneurysm.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
David Lich
Roadhouse Member

Post by David Lich »

sneakydave wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:21 am
Mordeen wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:49 pm Dark Wood Moods persist in the absence of the owls.

imilii, lis

batsg, wkwow
Someone needs to crack this before I have an aneurysm.
Right? Please! Hahah
TwinBeaks

Post by TwinBeaks »

So, what’s the consensus? A film or a new season?
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

TwinBeaks wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:30 pm So, what’s the consensus? A film or a new season?
Yes.
TwinBeaks

Post by TwinBeaks »

Well, I was asking for that, I guess.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

TwinBeaks wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:30 pm So, what’s the consensus? A film or a new season?
The Return was in a way both film and series. Lynch himself called it a film, although he clearly edited the Parts to air as standalone “episodes” with themes, arcs, etc. I imagine that if this is one long story (as opposed to an anthology series, which I half-expect), he’ll continue to break down the distinction between film and episodic television. Although it is interesting that the copyright filing was for thirteen individual scripts, whereas TR was one long one.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I'm thinking either an anthology series of movies OR a two-part season A and B like the next Ozark.

But The Return was both, hence my first comment. I'd argue the return could even be deemed a selection of anthology-like mini movies that were edited into an overall 'season '
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

I really, really hope it is not an anthology series. I can't think of any of those that are consistently good (and that criticism includes "Hotel Room").
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

eyeboogers wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:42 pm I really, really hope it is not an anthology series. I can't think of any of those that are consistently good (and that criticism includes "Hotel Room").
I depends on how you define "anthology series", I guess but Steve McQueen's Small Axe series on Amazon is fantastic. It's basically just a collection of 5 different films.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

eyeboogers wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:42 pm I really, really hope it is not an anthology series. I can't think of any of those that are consistently good (and that criticism includes "Hotel Room").
The Twilight Zone?
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Yeah if they market and distribute them as individual titles then that's lovely. Otherwise anthologies usually end up being inconsequential overall or just bloated/uneconomical within each installment.

Dekalog is an exception.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I don't think you have to worry eyeboogers - David Lynch has been really into TV as a 'Continuing Story' for a long time now, even in that recent you tube interview with the high school kid, he brought up those two words.

I can see maybe episodes that are from different story threads (ie. Ronnie Rocket has the parallel Detective in the city and Ronnie threads) that could be anthology esque, but I'm sure it'll all be the same world. I really doubt self contained Hotel Room style.

Though for the record, I love Hotel Room, I think Tricks is really interesting and engaging storytelling. I feel like if HBO let it continue, it woulda evolved into a thing where they were connected.
Last edited by JackwithOneEye on Sun May 16, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

I just LOVE anthologies! Be they in a TV (like Tales from the Crypt, Masters of Horror etc.) or a movie format (like Creepshow, Altman's Short Cuts etc.). I consider Fargo the TV show, for instance, an anthology show, with each "episode" lasting for one season. Anyway, If that's the case with this supposed new project, I'd be very content.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Speaking of anthologies, for some reason I can't see David Lynch doing something with such a standard format ("Hotel Room" aside) after The Return, or if he does, I don't think it would feel like an anthology show. I wouldn't mind one, though. If anything, I think it might be just like the last season but more extreme - some bits of Twin Peaks, lots of other interconnected and separate strands. The Return itself was almost an anthology show for want of a better term, in that it had a lot of other little stories and settings, some connected, some more loosely associated, with occasional set pieces in the town of Twin Peaks itself. I imagine a further continuation of the series might be like that, exploring new worlds and universes, or wherever Richard and Carrie are, dreamscapes, reality, hyper-reality, etc.
Last edited by Jonah on Sun May 16, 2021 6:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Jonah wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:47 pm
JackwithOneEye wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:17 pm I don't think you have to worry Jonah.
I hadn't posted in a bit, did you mean someone else?

Speaking of anthologies, though, for some reason I can't see David Lynch doing something with such a standard format ("Hotel Room" aside) after The Return, or if he does, I don't think it would feel like an anthology show. I wouldn't mind one, though. If anything, I think it might be just like the last season but more extreme - some bits of Twin Peaks, lots of other interconnected and separate strands. The Return itself was almost an anthology show for want of a better term, in that it had a lot of other little stories and settings, some connected, some more loosely associated, with occasional set pieces in the town of Twin Peaks itself. I imagine a further continuation of the series might be like that, exploring new worlds and universes, or wherever Richard and Carrie are, dreamscapes, reality, hyper-reality, etc.
I wish I had the energy to reconstruct The Return into a set of self-contained anthology films.

Not to show anyone or "fix" anything. I'm just really curious to see how they'd come across that way. Feels like a valuable exercise in the study of screenwriting and filmmaking given how unique The Return is in the narrative sense.