Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by sneakydave »

DougieJones wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:09 am Maybe it’s possible that this new project will bring back the other people that didn’t get wrapped up in The Return, almost like a flip side to it. I know he asked LFB to come back for The Return and she was in a new movie recently so maybe she’s ready to make a full return. Chris Isaak is in better health as well, it would be cool to see him again. That would be interesting. Also Sabrina running the socials makes things even more questionable as well
Sabrina is his Assistant and has worked as such for years. I wouldn't read too much into that.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Just chiming in to say I sincerely doubt Lynch would squelch the project due to the “leaks.” I mean, what has leaked? Maybe the title? Possibly the number of episodes? The sheer fact that he’s doing something at all? I mean, this is hardly the Hateful Eight script leaking to the public. We literally still know nothing. Why on Earth would he end a production he put a ton of effort into solely because of a Production Weekly listing and a public copyright filing he himself made?
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Sun May 09, 2021 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:05 am Just chiming in to say I sincerely doubt Lynch would squelch the project due to the “leaks.” I mean, what has leaked? Maybe the title? Possibly the number the episodes? The sheer fact that he’s doing something at all? I mean, this is hardly the Hateful Eight script leaking to the public. We literally still know nothing. Why on Earth would he end a production he put a ton of effort into solely because of a Production Weekly listing and a public copyright filing he himself made?
Lack of info is turning things hysterical.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Good point - he knows the copyright filing was public. Was it made after or before the initial reddit rumours?

So all that's "leaked" is the PW/Production List stuff - maybe a title (or a couple of working titles - and one was part of the copyright filing anyway), maybe a budget, maybe a studio, maybe a production company, maybe some crew members, all of which are maybes and not confirmed. And a lot of speculation that its either a new original series or a new season of Twin Peaks. No cast, no plot, no other leaks.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:05 am Just chiming in to say I sincerely doubt Lynch would squelch the project due to the “leaks.” I mean, what has leaked? Maybe the title? Possibly the number of episodes? The sheer fact that he’s doing something at all? I mean, this is hardly the Hateful Eight script leaking to the public. We literally still know nothing. Why on Earth would he end a production he put a ton of effort into solely because of a Production Weekly listing and a public copyright filing he himself made?
The reddit post referred to claimed he was delaying it because of leaks, not cancelling altogether. I don't think they had any real information either way so imo it's academical whether Lynch would do that or not.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Yeah. Seems like someone talking nonsense. Nothing concrete has leaked at all. We are all just on here basing our thoughts off of social media posts of purple flowers. There very well could be nothing happening at all.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Jonah wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:05 am Donna needs to come back, even if it's Moira Kelly playing her. I'd prefer LFB and Moira Kelly in another role, but I would like to see Donna.

If I was writing the new season, I'd start with Richard and Carrie, and Audrey of course, but then I'd weave in characters who didn't get to appear in The Return - Donna, Catherine, Josie, Annie, Chester Desmond, Sam Stanley, etc. - before I brought in the other characters. But I'm not Lynch and I'm not entirely sure he's interested in all those characters, especially Annie, which is a shame as Heather Graham was ready to appear. But yeah, I'd like to see those characters who weren't in The Return appear early in any new season.
Yes, ALL of this! I think it would be incredible if this new project was comprised of individual films, all within the Twin Peaks universe. Each episode centered on a set of established characters in an unspecified time/universe.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Mordeen wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:54 pm So many people wandering around claiming inside knowledge on Reddit. Red is reddit. Makes things appear in your mouth that aren't real.

The only orbit that matters is Jupiter and her rings.

- Mordeen
So we'll get an announcement on May 14th when Jupiter begins going into retrograde...thanks, Mordeen! 8)
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

I know that Lynch is secretive, and hates leaks, and, obviously, you must always presume that other people are not like you, and would react differently in a similar situation. (I'm a bit secretive myself, and can definitely understand his hypothetical desire to keep things under wraps.) However, if the entire crew, cast, plot, and even the script leaked tomorrow, why in the world would he not continue with the project even in those circumstances? Isn't the point of art art itself? If he worries so much about people learning about the plot, why would he make the series in the first place? By that same logic, shouldn't he have ordered the deletion of The Return the moment it was first broadcast?

Besides, even if the whole script leaked right now, very few people would know it, or care, and even less people would actually read it. I know I wouldn't. And even if the whole world read it, it still would not be the same as the actual audio-visual series, because why even shoot the series then? Thinking that even if a few plot points leaked we would know too much about the series seems to me the same as if saying that by reading "a man gets killed by one of his own sons" you've just experienced The Brothers Karamazov.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I don't know if anybody ever suggested Lynch would pull the plug entirely because of the leaks. It's all a moot point now, I think, but originally I was just referencing a reddit poster who had it on "good authority" that Lynch wanted to delay production until the hype/leaks died down a bit, not axe it forever. Now, they are probably just entirely full of shit and that "good authority" is probably just their imagination or, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it maybe was just a game of telephone that got the original message wrong (i.e. somebody's friend of a friend he knows was asked 'hey, what's up with that David Lynch thing you know about?' and they said 'oh, that's on hold for a bit.' And it got embellished and misinterpreted, etc. Who knows.) I didn't mean to draw a line from that to "hey, is this still happening?" directly. Mostly the lack of any real info/updates is what had me nervous something might not be happening and I just threw that admittedly pretty minor reddit comment in for good measure in a "the sky is falling, this sucks" moment of pessimism. I'll just try to be patient and stop trying to read the tea leaves too much. Just got another random book on Lynch in the mail so I'll just get lost in that and wait for whatever happens to happen.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Paul Auster has an interesting novel called 'The Book of Illusions' about a filmmaker named Hector Mann who lives in seclusion, makes films in secret largely to amuse himself and a few family/friends, and then burns it all before he dies, so the public never sees the stuff.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:31 am Paul Auster has an interesting novel called 'The Book of Illusions' about a filmmaker named Hector Mann who lives in seclusion, makes films in secret largely to amuse himself and a few family/friends, and then burns it all before he dies, so the public never sees the stuff.
If you liked that you might like a novel called "Flicker" by Theodore Roszak.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Ickles wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:32 am
Mordeen wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:54 pm So many people wandering around claiming inside knowledge on Reddit. Red is reddit. Makes things appear in your mouth that aren't real.

The only orbit that matters is Jupiter and her rings.

- Mordeen
So we'll get an announcement on May 14th when Jupiter begins going into retrograde...thanks, Mordeen! 8)
:idea:
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

In terms of "Inland Empire" being a well kept secret, as I rightly recall, it was announced and pre-sold to a bunch of us as web series with the title "Axxon N". For whatever reason it didn't materialise as advertised, and was later reconfigured into feature film form. Basically it is not as if that came from out of nowhere.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

eyeboogers wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:12 pm "Axxon N"
You called? :o

That's all true, however, imagine the timeframe; Lynch has poured all his creative efforts into his website and has even signaled that internet is THE new possibility to explore. This comes with all the "will he ever make a movie again?" feeling as came with "premium TV is the new arthouse." So, no one had any reason to speculate on film, or speculate that his ideas for the website would snowball into a film. Precisely that is what came as a surprise and was a well-kept secret.

Plus, all we knew about Axxon N. was this evocative image:
& that it was a 9-episode mystery-drama.

Plus, who's to say we haven't similarly seen little inklings of Unrecorded Night already? TP S3 was full of odds and ends from previous abandoned projects & paintings.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.