Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by krishnanspace »

Don’t know if this is wisteria, but purple flowers for me now just reminds me of Lynch
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

https://twitter.com/fatecolossal/status ... 9632484352
At a private event last week, Kyle MacLachlan was asked whether he knew anything about David Lynch's new project WISTERIA. His full answer (THREAD):

"Ah. I know nothing about it. Um, I know on my socials I posted some pictures of wisteria over my door... (cont)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Metamorphia wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:28 pm https://twitter.com/fatecolossal/status ... 9632484352
At a private event last week, Kyle MacLachlan was asked whether he knew anything about David Lynch's new project WISTERIA. His full answer (THREAD):

"Ah. I know nothing about it. Um, I know on my socials I posted some pictures of wisteria over my door... (cont)
Here's the rest of the thread from @fatecolossal's twitter:

" 'um, but that was just because I was pretty - it was magnificent, I didn't even think about that it was - that there was this talk about this other project. Um, I don't even know if he has another project called WISTERIA...' (cont)

" 'I don't know how it sort of started getting kind of out there in the world. To my knowledge, David is, um - well, I don't know, if he's working on something he doesn't really confide in me with that kind of stuff. He - like when we did THE RETURN to TWIN PEAKS, he called me...'

" 'and he said he really needed to speak with me about something, and I was like, Ok -and he said but I can't do it over the phone, I have to do it in person. I said ok. So I was in New York, and he said I'm gonna be in New York at such and such a time, so I met him in his hotel...'

" 'in New York and he said to me, we're going back to Twin Peaks. And he said, do you want to come? Do you want to go with us? I said, David, I never left Twin Peaks. That was my response. And he was like, Great, okay. And so we were off to the races. But he wanted to meet...'

" 'me in person to tell me that. And he was also just very very conscious of the fact that he didn't want it to get out into the world. So, knowing that about him, he could be working on 10 things, and I - no one would really know what's coming, because he's so secretive.' (end)

"He sounded very sincere while talking. That said, 1) he is an actor, 2) he notes that Lynch is very clear about not wanting anything to get out, & 3) Kyle's explanation - that his IG post (hashtagged '#wisteria' by him) was just a pure coincidence - is not esp. believable...

"Had he explained that he was just making a reference as an interested friend/fan of Lynch who knows nothing but hears the speculation, it would have been more believable - or that he was referencing DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES - or had he not specifically hashtagged it '#wisteria'...

"(Also, there's the matter of his recent IG post where his trainer says Kyle's 'prepping for something big,' which Kyle then added to with a wink emoji. Who knows, but there are no other known/suspected projects for him on the near- or mid-term horizon...)

"So in the end we're back to not really being sure. Maybe Kyle was being sincere and really has zero knowledge of what (if anything) David is prepping. Or maybe this is a pre-production dance of secrecy. We shall see... FWIW, Kyle is now in WA state (per his post today below).

"I’m loath to read too much into someone’s Twitter ‘likes,’ but fwiw Kyle’s claim that he didn’t connect wisteria to Lynch’s rumored proj is arguably belied by the fact that the week before his #wisteria post he ‘liked’ a tweet about Netflix potentially releasing WISTERIA weekly."

Link to full thread: https://twitter.com/fatecolossal/status ... 4502169600
Last edited by Jonah on Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

None of the above is my opinion - I just copied and pasted it across from the thread. I honestly don't know what to think. :?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

This is the image mentioned in the thread - a post that Kyle clicked like on Image

The other one is just a pic of a restaurant in WA from his IG (but I believe he has family in the area?).
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:21 pm This is the image mentioned in the thread - a post that Kyle clicked like on Image

The other one is just a pic of a restaurant in WA from his IG (but I believe he has family in the area?).
Yeah, he grew up in Yakima, and his brothers still live in or near Seattle.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Some of this speculation has been fun, but ever since Lynch's anticlimatic "announcement", I think it's a bit less fun. I don't mind sharing stuff I see elsewhere on here and am eager to read things others post but at this point I'd rather they just announced something or didn't and stopped with the teases (if that's what they even are as fans, including me, can pick up on anything as potential hints).

There was a lot of this stuff last year that led to nothing. Then all that HMH stuff that led to nothing thus far. Maybe the pandemic interrupted a planned announcement, as Lynch did say he'd be working on something if not for that. Fair enough, but now this latest batch (plus Sabrina's Zoom post, the PW stuff, etc) - they really did feel like hints. But I feel they either need to announce it or just stop with the teases altogether. I don't think it's building anticipation at this point? If anything it could backfire and make people lose interest or assume any big tease or pending announcement will lead to more disappointment (like the Lynch video did).
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Maybe the healthiest thing would be to try not to obsess over it so much. I check this forum a few times every day, so yes, I am kind of obsessed, but on the other hand, there is so much great literature, films, series, etc. to choose from that maybe all of us should just focus on something else, and then be pleasantly surprised if they do announce something.

When this happened with The Return, I wasn't expecting anything, so I wasn't even thinking about Twin Peaks on a regular basis, like now. It was healthier than this, for sure.

For example, I'm just discovering the world of Wong Kar-wai :D
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

So basically, Kyle was just trolling us with all those "hint, hint" posts. Yawn.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Or Lynch called him and lectured him and told him not to say any more (like he did that time Kyle revealed Shelley was supposed to be the killer on SNL) and now this is damage control.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Jonah wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:58 am Or Lynch called him and lectured him and told him not to say any more (like he did that time Kyle revealed Shelley was supposed to be the killer on SNL) and now this is damage control.
I'm relatively confident something's happening (mainly based on the copyright filings and the Zoom meeting) but the Wisteria hinting did strike me as odd. Unless encouraged/specified to hint by Lynch, it actually seems like quite strange behaviour because it risks letting the cat out the bag before any formal announcement. We know based on The Return that Lynch is obviously very very concerned with leaks and what's public/what isn't.

Must admit I do think the wisteria IG post was probably more random in origin (or loosely tied to Desperate Housewives) but that Kyle's social media management team had one eye on the rumours so cheekily posted it knowing it'd probably get good engagement numbers.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Jonah wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:58 am (like he did that time Kyle revealed Shelley was supposed to be the killer on SNL)
Wha, huh?
I'll see you in the trees
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Rainwater wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:25 am
Jonah wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:58 am (like he did that time Kyle revealed Shelley was supposed to be the killer on SNL)
Wha, huh?
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

LOL - I had forgotten about that skit :lol:

I hate to admit this, but I don’t understand this situation at all.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Lol yeah. Pretty sure some version of that same phone call took place again after the "#wisteria" post - though maybe this time it was by Skype. :lol:
Last edited by Jonah on Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.