Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

stro

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by stro »

Season 4 to be Cooper alone in CGI rooms for 18 hours confirmed
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote:
covid attacks the lungs too. and it's merciless with older people with lung issues.
That’s true. Smokers are included on the CDC “at-risk” list as suffering terrible consequences if they do contract the virus, and our man is an inveterate smoker. That didn’t even occur to me.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

JackwithOneEye wrote:He says in Hollywood Reporter:

“You can’t work on a film right now and I think for a long time, we won’t be able to work with a big crew in a normal way of filmmaking. It’s just too dangerous right now. It’s really something to think about. I don’t really think I can make a film until there’s a vaccine.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/n ... or-1290834

he's mentioned it other places too.
This article is from about five months ago. I wonder what's the most recent time he's said this, and especially if he's said it since all of the hinting with Sabrina Sutherland about some kind of film project. (Unless she was talking about casting for an old timey radio drama, in which case, well, I'm all ears. Just imagine the sound design and weird pregnant pauses.)
Dougie Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dougie Cooper »

JackwithOneEye wrote:It's possible those are parts of Cooper's unconscious telling him about transcendence, but that he as the dogged detective clinging to life casts his those thoughts aside. He seems completely confused when Laura trying to communicate she's achieved enlightenment / nirvana with the white light that's within her.
Indeed. And dopple Leland telling Cooper to "find Laura" is meant to keep him going in circles with a mission in the hopes of delaying any progress in that journey.

As far as Season 4 is concerned. Well, I'm not concerned. I agree with you that the ending of Season 3 works just fine. But it also allows for a continuation. So I'm good either way.

Bottom line is that I trust Lynch/Frost. If they decide to continue then I'll know it was meant to be. I also expect it to be excellent. Not to mention, it doesn't have to be a series of episodes. Could be a stand alone film.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I don't think things have changed too much since April.

A location shoot in WA involves people getting on airplanes, 14 day quarantines, lots of covid testing, housing and air circulation issues, and unfortanately we have situations where people dont take quarantines seriously and you have actors and crew who you can't really control in a free society and monitor 24/7 and go to bars, and then they test positive, and it become quite messy how to move forward.

If you did something more studio bound, either like a play or with greenscreeen, with a small cast and crew, might be more doable with a 'bubble' team. I know Ronnie Rocket people will yell at me and tell me Ronnie Rocket sucks and you want Twin Peaks. But complicated logistical location film work is just not worth getting sick and dying over.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: If you did something more studio bound, either like a play or with greenscreeen, with a small cast and crew, might be more doable with a 'bubble' team. I know Ronnie Rocket people will yell at me and tell me Ronnie Rocket sucks and you want Twin Peaks. But complicated logistical location film work is just not worth getting sick and dying over.
I’d love to see what Lynch would do with a fully CGI/greenscreen-with-actors approach to Ronnie Rocket, à la Sin City/Sky Captain, especially in light of what he did with digital effects on TR (both the sophisticated ones by BUF and the deliberately abstract-amateurish ones he did himself for the Red Room). In a way, this could be the purest realization of his “moving painting” idea that got him into filmmaking in the first place. Now I’m thinking about that zany “walking dead pig” scene.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

He hasn't posted anything on his youtube in a while in terms of shorts, and if that doesn't end up satisfying his moving-pictures creative need during COVID, perhaps the next logical leap is something in line with those shorts? As in, maybe the most viable thing, and also not something he's done before outside a comedy piece like Dumbland and the short Pozar, is a lengthy animation of some kind?
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

AXX°N N. wrote:He hasn't posted anything on his youtube in a while in terms of shorts, and if that doesn't end up satisfying his moving-pictures creative need during COVID, perhaps the next logical leap is something in line with those shorts? As in, maybe the most viable thing, and also not something he's done before outside a comedy piece like Dumbland and the short Pozar, is a lengthy animation of some kind?
The most likely scenario is he does (more or less) nothing film/video wise, just as he did in the Inland Empire-Return wilderness years.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Metamorphia wrote:
AXX°N N. wrote:He hasn't posted anything on his youtube in a while in terms of shorts, and if that doesn't end up satisfying his moving-pictures creative need during COVID, perhaps the next logical leap is something in line with those shorts? As in, maybe the most viable thing, and also not something he's done before outside a comedy piece like Dumbland and the short Pozar, is a lengthy animation of some kind?
The most likely scenario is he does (more or less) nothing film/video wise, just as he did in the Inland Empire-Return wilderness years.
Yeah, his interest in film has seemed to ebb and flow over the years, with a lot more ebb lately (TR would never have even happened if Frost hadn’t instigated it). After TR and having no time to do anything but film for two years straight, I think he’s been enjoying painting, building and other stuff.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Jerry Horne wrote:‘Fargo’ Finishes Season 4 Production Amid Coronavirus Pandemic:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/far ... 50054.html
Stranger Things Season Four back to filming.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

even if Lynch was willing to expose himself to covid right now, I think a lot of execs would balk at greenlighting a Lynch production with the budget he wants given the added expenses of COVID protocols.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Interview with Lynch in which he suggests that were it not for the virus he’d probably be making a film “or continuing story” right now. Considering the Hollywood Horror Museum tweets I have a feeling that in another dimension we’re all obsessing over set leaks from Twin Peaks 4...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOu4ktBT6VA&t=1m40s
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

enumbs wrote:Interview with Lynch in which he suggests that were it not for the virus he’d probably be making a film “or continuing story” right now. Considering the Hollywood Horror Museum tweets I have a feeling that in another dimension we’re all obsessing over set leaks from Twin Peaks 4...

Wow, thanks. There was just so much over the past several months that has pointed in that direction that I've always felt the number 1 art-related travesty of covid is that we might be missing out on more Lynch. This goes another step in confirming that. Not to downplay the real tragic effects of the virus, but I have on occasion thought "thank goodness this didn't happen during the production of Twin Peaks." We are so lucky to have that, at any rate.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

LateReg wrote:
enumbs wrote:Interview with Lynch in which he suggests that were it not for the virus he’d probably be making a film “or continuing story” right now. Considering the Hollywood Horror Museum tweets I have a feeling that in another dimension we’re all obsessing over set leaks from Twin Peaks 4...

Wow, thanks. There was just so much over the past several months that has pointed in that direction that I've always felt the number 1 art-related travesty of covid is that we might be missing out on more Lynch. This goes another step in confirming that. Not to downplay the real tragic effects of the virus, but I have on occasion thought "thank goodness this didn't happen during the production of Twin Peaks." We are so lucky to have that, at any rate.
I don't want rehash too much what we've already discussed about COVID, but just to note how quickly the virus ran through the White House and had the POTUS not had the very best health care in the country, he very well might have died (he still may not be out of the woods).

Lynch has to be looking at that and calculating...

Are folks like he, Beymer, Tamblyn etc. really willing to take the risk? And how about some of the older folks behind the camera?

Right now I put the probability of Season 4 ever happening with Lynch as director at well under 50%. Maybe below 10%.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

mtwentz wrote:
I don't want rehash too much what we've already discussed about COVID, but just to note how quickly the virus ran through the White House and had the POTUS not had the very best health care in the country, he very well might have died (he still may not be out of the woods).

Lynch has to be looking at that and calculating...

Are folks like he, Beymer, Tamblyn etc. really willing to take the risk? And how about some of the older folks behind the camera?

Right now I put the probability of Season 4 ever happening with Lynch as director at well under 50%. Maybe below 10%.
I’m a little more optimistic on that front. My gut tells me that a new season of Twin Peaks would be far less sprawling in its approach, and would probably focus on Laura, Cooper and Diane. The Return felt like it was providing one last wistful glance at the town’s residents before plunging deeper into the psyches of the characters who matter most to Lynch.

All indications seem to be that a script has already been written, so I’m hopeful that this will be ready to set in motion once Lynch feels comfortable. The World Health Organisation believe a vaccine could be ready by the end of this year, so providing Lynch remains in good health then shooting in 2021 or 2022 seems feasible.