New forum site Tulpa, the successor to Dugpa

Details of site updates and a place to add feedback

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Re: Forum Closing April 15th, 2022

Post by Stavrogyn »

Histeria wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:52 am To everyone planning on joining a successor site, can we brainstorm ideas.

Before I place any orders: What should it be called, presuming it requires a name change?

New Dugpa?
Tulpa?
Something else?

Also, would everyone prefer an exact 1-1 replica of the forum branch structure found here or would anyone make adaptations? Would that preference change in the event we can't migrate post history/profiles and had to start anew?
I think the best would be if we managed to get some kind of a consensus about where should we continue our discussions, in order to not disperse to different locations. I appreciate your enthusiasm and initiative, Histeria, that's exactly what we need right now. (Your idea sounds interesting too, dud!)

I like the structure as we have it here, probably mostly because I'm used to it, and I wouldn't mind it if we continued in a similar manner. As for the name, I would be completely fine with Dugpa, New Dugpa, Tulpa... All of these options sound good to me.

I feel that the most important question is will it be possible to migrate data? It wouldn't bother me if I had to register anew, but to lose all of the archived threads and messages would be a tragedy.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Jonah
Global Moderator

New forum site Tulpa, the successor to Dugpa

Post by Jonah »

Edit, April 15th: Some posts have been moved over from the Forum Closing thread to this one as Histeria didn't want them distracting from tributes to Dugpa, which I agreed was a good reason.

The link to the new forum appears as you scroll through these messages (I believe Dugpa will be posting this too in a more visible manner and has shared it on Twitter, as has Jerry) but for archival purposes and anyone viewing this thread after this site has closed looking for the link quickly, it is:

https://tulpaforum.com/

-

Just weighing in here to say - I think anyone who is seriously considering starting a new forum, it would be a good idea to approach Dugpa and speak to him and get his blessing - also his permission for transferring data across if he is willing to give it?

Seems there are two possibilities - starting a new forum without transferring old data across or starting a new one and transferring it across, but I imagine for the latter you'd need Dugpa's permission and possibly some help doing it? Not sure. A new forum can be started from scratch without that, but as a mark of respect, I think it would be a good idea to reach out to the man himself first. Also, remember Dugpa is Dugpa - so perhaps a new name would be a better idea. But either way, I'll let Dugpa weigh in here himself - just think before the conversation goes much more in that direction and plans start to get drawn up, it would be worth remembering to talk to the man himself or ask him to weigh in here if he wants to.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Jonah wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:16 am Just weighing in here to say - I think anyone who is seriously considering starting a new forum, it would be a good idea to approach Dugpa and speak to him and get his blessing - also his permission for transferring data across if he is willing to give it?

Seems there are two possibilities - starting a new forum without transferring old data across or starting a new one and transferring it across, but I imagine for the latter you'd need Dugpa's permission and possibly some help doing it? Not sure. A new forum can be started from scratch without that, but as a mark of respect, I think it would be a good idea to reach out to the man himself first. Also, remember Dugpa is Dugpa - so perhaps a new name would be a better idea. But either way, I'll let Dugpa weigh in here himself - just think before the conversation goes much more in that direction and plans start to get drawn up, it would be worth remembering to talk to the man himself or ask him to weigh in here if he wants to.
Thanks for this. I was just about to DM you to say I followed the suggestion you sent privately. and I agree on all points here.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

IF there is a new forum I vote "Tulpa" as the name, for the record. I think carrying on the Dugpa name if this forum does not continue under new management (which I would support) would be in poor taste.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

N. Needleman wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:43 am IF there is a new forum I vote "Tulpa" as the name, for the record. I think carrying on the Dugpa name if this forum does not continue under new management (which I would support) would be in poor taste.
Ideally, I would also prefer simply continuing this forum under new management.

However, if that isn't possible, then choosing "Tulpa" as the name for the new forum would actually be perfect.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Stavrogyn wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:52 am
N. Needleman wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:43 am IF there is a new forum I vote "Tulpa" as the name, for the record. I think carrying on the Dugpa name if this forum does not continue under new management (which I would support) would be in poor taste.
Ideally, I would also prefer simply continuing this forum under new management.
Or a new forum under the same management :D
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Don't think I chimed in on the potential to migrate elsewhere: I would definitely be interested in an invite/link to a new forum should Histeria/whoever be willing to set it up. In terms of names I don't have any strong opinion other than I agree any variation of Dugpa wouldn't make as much sense without the original management's involvement. Tulpa is as good as anything else but open to whatever, really. I mostly would just welcome a home for our collective Lynch nerdery that's not reddit or another mainstream platform. Especially if the rumors about a new Lynch film/pilot end up bearing fruit it would be a shame to not have a place to pore over the details with this group. Even though I've only been active on here with this username fairly recently, I have fond memories of poring through the dugpa site and forums back in the day, when my obsession with Lynch first began over 20 years ago.
Last edited by Ickles on Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jonah wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:28 am Not crazy about Tulpa as the name but could see why people like it and it does seem apt, just not personally a fan of it, though agree Dugpa would not be appropriate.
Just curious why you don't like 'Tulpa'?

It was basically the 'dugpa' of Season 3...

Edit: by 'dugpa' of Season 3, I mean the mystical concept that Frost introduced us too in the Twin Peaks world.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'm not even sure myself, mtwentz. Just don't really like the word. I can see why others do and why it could be a good word along the lines of dugpa but it's just not a name I'd choose. But I'm still trying to come up with decent titles for my manuscripts so I might not be the best at naming things. (And I'll probably come around on it!)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mojo1976
Roadhouse Member

Post by mojo1976 »

The name Tulpa seems the most appropriate, but it doesn't sound right to me. My thought at first was Dugpa: The Return (half-joking) or Blue Rose Forum.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

mojo1976 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:06 pm The name Tulpa seems the most appropriate, but it doesn't sound right to me. My thought at first was Dugpa: The Return (half-joking)
I like that, but I think it'd need dugpa's blessing. I like Tulpa but I can understand it being as divisive as S3, even if the terminology follows a natural evolution in its way.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

No elements distinct to this site should be carried over without Dugpa's support. That includes design and especially the name.

Tbh even Tulpa seems a bit too close to be in good taste.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Goodbye everybody, I've always enjoyed following all of the lively discussionsons on this forum. Can some of you please let me know where I can find another TP or David Lynch related site, where I can get my news from now ?
Thanks to Dugpa and all of the moderators and the members of this wonderfull place.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Histeria wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:25 pm No elements distinct to this site should be carried over without Dugpa's support. That includes design and especially the name.

Tbh even Tulpa seems a bit too close to be in good taste.
Just spoke to Dugba. He pointed out how difficult migration can be, especially with private messages and adhering to privacy regulations/principles. Very good point I hadn't considered. He said he prefers the new site starts anew.

With this site staying up as an archive, at least we'll be blessed with being able to cite it going forward. It really is an astonishing resource and I'm grateful Dugpa's keeping it up for reference purposes.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Glad you spoke to Dugpa, Histeria, and now can focus on building a new site. I was hoping this news might lead to the board closure being postponed/delayed a little to give whoever wants a new site more time to build one and keep this one up a little longer to discuss this new announcement, especially if it does turn out to be more TP. Not sure if it's possible to do that, though, as there may be other logistics in place for closing.