LH on DVD in the US?!?!?

Discussion of Lost Highway

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

wallydanger
Roadhouse Member

Post by wallydanger »

dugpa wrote:Those idiots at Universal have been sitting on the transfer for years. It might be worth doing some sort of petition or email campaign to get it released. If you have a Region Free DVD player, I would highly suggest the R2 MK2 DVD. The transfer is quite nice.

-B
I got an R2 copy on eBay at a decent price. It's the German BMG edition with almost no features. I did see some screen shots comparing it to other versions and it looked great. Haven't gotten around to watching it yet, waiting for just the right moment.

I'm curious about PAL DVDs. Will there be a 4% speedup on all R2 & R4 discs? I got the "Hong Kong" TP Pilot, and hearing Coop's voice like that bothered me more than the phasing problems. That was my first experience with the "PAL problem". I almost bought an R2 Season 1 set, but was afraid from what I'd read about PAL that the whole thing would be sped up.

Evidently, some people notice and are more bothered by it than others. I'm just wondering if I have to stay away from all PAL DVDs, meaning R2 & R4 imports.
"Do you see creamed corn on that plate?"
> Enter The Lodge
shemsha
Roadhouse Member

Lost highway

Post by shemsha »

DarkGlobe

Post by DarkGlobe »

wallydanger wrote:
I got an R2 copy on eBay at a decent price. It's the German BMG edition with almost no features. I did see some screen shots comparing it to other versions and it looked great. Haven't gotten around to watching it yet, waiting for just the right moment.
Over the years i've bought about 5 different versions of LH on DVD. The first UK version had a so-so picture and no real extras, the Australian version had extras (mostly from Pretty As a Picture) and the same quality picture as the UK, the German BMG version has a great picture but unfortunately the English language soundtrack is slightly out of sync with the picture. Then came the German 'Cinemathek' DVD version which has a great picture (the most vivid colours) and the soundtrack is in sync (yay!) - no extras though. Then the MK2 version with a slightly different picture quality to the Cinemathek version (not inferior, just as sharp but less contrasty and vivid) and lots of extras to boot!