Lost Highway DVD--question

Discussion of Lost Highway

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Diane
RR Diner Member

Lost Highway DVD--question

Post by Diane »

Does anyone know whether the interview on the new LH DVD is something new, or is it the same as the one from the MK2 release?
bmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by bmiller »

Well Diane according to DVDBeaver's review of Universal's Lost Highway there are NO EXTRAS on the DVD. NONE. ZILCH. NADA. That's right, Diane, not even a frickin' trailer as an extra. NOTHING. But hey, dig those English, French, and Spanish subtitles. No question, the subtitles more than make up for having NO EXTRAS. And check out that "red and black boosting" that Universal did in order to manipulate the image. Oh, and NO DTS 5.1 audio track. Just straight Dolby Digital 5.1. Yes, Universal pulled out all the stops on this DVD release. They spared no expense; how they will ever recoup their investment in the production of this DVD, I haven't a clue.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

WOW

Post by underthefan »

Okay, whoever you are, bmiller, we have to hang out. That just made my day. Thanks. :P
knowthyself

Post by knowthyself »

Yeah not even a trailer for the movie.

Fuck Universal. Dammit.
bmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by bmiller »

Thanks for the kind remarks Underthefan, but I really shouldn't post messages after I've had a couple of beers. Especially since I now have to take back some of what I said.

Damn, I hate to repudiate myself in the same thread but I just watched Universal's Lost Highway today and the image quality, to my untrained eye, looks quite good. I always watch movies in a very dark room and Lost Highway had that trademark Neo-Noir look that I remember when I saw it years ago. I don't know if this was the transfer that Lynch says he completed for Universal but it looked very good to me. Maybe the movie isn't supposed to be as bright as the Region 2 DVD's have rendered it. The audio track is nice and aggressive in the all the right places...plenty of Lynch's trademark thumping bass was emanating from my subwoofer. I do wish DTS audio was the default standard instead of Dolby Digital, oh well, what can you do.

So there it is.... I stand corrected. Ha-ha, Lynch will probably release a statement tomorrow and say that this isn't the transfer he authorized for Universal and I'll look like a bigger fool than I do already.
Just don't get me started on the Extras, okay? Alright, I'll get myself started....you know I looked everywhere I could and I couldn't even find an Easter Egg.
lynched+skinned

Post by lynched+skinned »

Old DVD:

New DVD:
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Yikes! That's a major difference if I ever saw one. But which is the "old one"? The Region 2 version?
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
lynched+skinned

Evenreven wrote:Yikes! That's a major difference if I ever saw one. But which is the "old one"? The Region 2 version?
Yes. Which one do you prefer btw based on the screen grabs?
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I'm not sure. What's frustrating is that they're both pretty good, but completely different. My hazy memory of it from multiple visits to my local cinématheque in 1998-200 says it's somewhere in between the two. The R2 isn't dark enough by a long shot, while the R1 looks a bit too dark and way too red and saturated. I'm beginning to think the R2 with the brightness levels turned down would look pretty good.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Btw, for easy comparison:

R1:

R2:
Sugardrugged Fairy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sugardrugged Fairy »

somewhere in between the two

There's a place i'd like to show you. Near the ocean. It's very secluded.
I think you'll understand me better if you come with me.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

:)

Good work! It's still a bit lighter than I remember, though.
lynched+skinned

I'd go ahead and get the R1, it is director approved.

You have no idea what the movie will actually look like on your setup at home.

Do you have standard definition television, only? If so, do you have an S-video cable or compontent video cables?
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

[quote="lynched+skinned"]I'd go ahead and get the R1, it is director approved.
quote]

Sure it is? Where did you hear it?
knowthyself

Post by knowthyself »

I use David Lynch's own custom TV settings (available on inland empire and eraserhead) whenever I watch movies, especially his movies.

His settings make the blacks solid and seamless and gives most movies a richer texture. The brightness level isn't as high and this really makes all the difference.

I have a feeling Lost Highway is not supposed to be that bright.