Anyone agree that this soundtrack is possibly his best?

Discussion of Lost Highway

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Hank_Jennings
Roadhouse Member

Re: Anyone agree that this soundtrack is possibly his best?

Post by Hank_Jennings »

I think its his worst. I think Lynch's best soundtracks are actual compositional work. The actual music (NiN, Ramstein etc), are rubbish. He's no Scorsese when it comes to soundtracks. It would have been a hell of alot better if it was entirely Badalamenti scored like Blue Velvet.
bluefrank
Roadhouse Member

Post by bluefrank »

I really rate this soundtrack...

Hollywood Sunset is my personal fav and like the others here...I would kill for an extended version. The book-ended Bowie track is sublime and Angelo's Dub Driving is also a killer. I think it all works rather well tbh and I just love watching Lost Highway...one of my Lynch favs.
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Post by chalfont »

Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Post by Johnsusername »

Hank_Jennings wrote:I think its his worst. I think Lynch's best soundtracks are actual compositional work. The actual music (NiN, Ramstein etc), are rubbish. He's no Scorsese when it comes to soundtracks. It would have been a hell of alot better if it was entirely Badalamenti scored like Blue Velvet.
Can't disagree more. I think it's a great album - both as a soundtrack and a standalone record. I've had it since release and have listened to it a million times. It was a shame the CD never had This Mortal Coil on, though now I have Spotify and have added it to a Lost Highway playlist ;)

The "proper" rock songs are ace - Bowie, Reed, SP. And the more atmospheric songs are also brill. I love Barry Adamson's stuff. I didn't realise for years - I assumed all that was Angelo's haha.