Silencio

Discussion of Mulholland Drive

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Silencio

Post by MichaelPW »

I have watched MD again, and again I am very impressed by the unbelievable performance of Naomi Watts! She realized the two very different characters in a way that is just incredible.

The movie is quite funny at the beginning in some scenes. For example, there are already two men in the room, when Adam and the other person enter to wait for the two Italian businessmen. The left one of those two men is so convinced that the espresso will be ok this time. He must think things like: "This time we have an espresso that there is absolutely no chance for not liking it." Or: "Also when there is a "wrong behaviour" with the espresso man, the espresso will be ok this time. That`s for sure." But we see what happens. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It`s funny as well that the right man is quite upset and says something like "We have informed ourselves that that espresso is one of the best of the world".
Also very funny is the idea that two men from a bank know where Adam is and inform the owner of the hotel that he`s broke. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It`s great that I could see a "making of", too. I believe what Naomi Watts says about making the movie. There is a scene in which she obviously has a problem with remembering a line. And David Lynch manages that problem very interestingly.
"Again" David Lynch talks about the magical lights of Los Angeles. We see lights in Mulholland Drive and I think that he`s right with that that these lights are magical in that area.
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

And do you have the ten hints by David Lynch about this movie? And did they work for you?

Must be a terrible fear-inducing situation: To wake up and see the woman with whom you had great love in such a delirious strange state.
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Re: Silencio

Post by MichaelPW »

applesnoranges wrote:We know that Camilla has been to Club Silencio before because she talked about it in her sleep.
That is one possible conclusion. Another one would be that she anticipates things in the future. Or maybe there is a kind of source in the club sending something to Camilla.
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

MichaelPW wrote:
applesnoranges wrote:We know that Camilla has been to Club Silencio before because she talked about it in her sleep.
That is one possible conclusion. Another one would be that she anticipates things in the future. Or maybe there is a kind of source in the club sending something to Camilla.
OK we could pick any of those and see where it goes. This was following from a conversation of who gives a blue key and why in the other forum. So I was suggesting that since Betty got the blue box in Club Silencio and we could guess that Camilla had been there before because of her dream which caused her to become frightened, that she had been there before and that therefore she got the key there. We could guess all kinds of things about MD but this guess about this clue leads us a little way through the maze. Further, we could guess that she was frightened in her dream because she had gone to Silencio and afterward something very frightening happened. Then we could guess more things and soon we see a story unfolding.

If you want to try either of the other two options, what happens?
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

It was the "know" which made me extract that. I think we don`t know why she says "Silencio" in that strange delirious mental state. But it`s there. Maybe it is the best "story" to take it as it is.
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

Some people see Mulholland Dr. nonverbally, without describing it.
Kiddo
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kiddo »

I'm surprised that applesoranges and MichaelPW state that Camilla has been to Club Silencio, when clearly this is not the case. Rita has been to Club Silencio, and Rita is most certainly not Camilla.
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

Rita is someone who has forgotten her name and hopes that sleep will bring back her memory. Like Camilla, she speaks Spanish and speaks it in her sleep as she cries, "¡Silencio!" So, even though she has her own story line in the movie, she has enough in common with Camilla for us to think that this time sleep did return at least some of her memory of who she was or had been. It seems that the dream was a terrifying one because after going to the club, the men in the limo threatened to kill her and then the accident happened. Then there is the scene where Camilla shows up out of nowhere in Diane's apartment, dressed as Rita was dressed when she visited Sierra Bonita with Betty and acting sweet and warm as we would expect Rita to act. This seems to be a "Rita" aspect of Camilla. So both seem to me to be examples of how someone could be in different life circumstances.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM