Interview with Dumpster Hobo actress

Discussion of Mulholland Drive

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Interview with Dumpster Hobo actress

Post by FauxOwl »

Never realized the hobo was a woman. Probably one of my favorite scenes in a Lynch film of all time, and one of the reasons I lament MD never became a series.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/10/mulholla ... er_vulture
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Re: Interview with Dumpster Hobo actress

Post by Mb3 »

FauxOwl wrote:Never realized the hobo was a woman. Probably one of my favorite scenes in a Lynch film of all time, and one of the reasons I lament MD never became a series.
I was also stunned when I found out that it was a woman when I read it for the first time. And you're probably right with your assumption, that this fantastic scene was one of the main reasons why we didn't get the chance to see the MD series. Thanks for the link to the interview.
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

I think it never became a series because it was too long for a pilot, and it was an ill fit for a network series, considering it may have been even more esoteric than Twin Peaks eventually became. I'm honestly not sure how it sprung to life in the ABC offices in the first place. It's a shame it didn't end up on cable... the pilot did predate the modern renaissance of scripted dramas on cable TV though. But in an ideal world where the esoteric can be commercially viable, the scene is a tidbit of the open ended mythology in this universe Lynch created that I really would have loved to have seen explored in greater detail in a series. Of course being that this was supposed to be on ABC, realistically it wouldn't have avoided the pratfalls hindered Twin Peaks, so I suppose I should be pleased it eventually saw life as a feature film.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

FauxOwl wrote:Never realized the hobo was a woman. Probably one of my favorite scenes in a Lynch film of all time, and one of the reasons I lament MD never became a series.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/10/mulholla ... er_vulture
I can't remember how (maybe I actually read it somewhere, and I'm giving myself the benefit of the doubt) but I'm pretty sure at one point it occurred to me that it looked more like a woman beneath the makeup. And I thought maybe it was even Naomi Watts! It isn't, obviously, but it did always seem like the creature was linked to her self-image much as Laura sees Bob in herself (note in the train car how she looks down at her reflection in the mirror before looking up to her right to see Bob next to her; adds a new twist to the lines "I thought you knew it was me"/"I never knew you knew it was me").
Jonatan Silva
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jonatan Silva »

She's so beautiful to be behind that thing.