Criterion Collection (Rumored Blu-Ray Release)

Discussion of Mulholland Drive

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

intothewildwood

Post by intothewildwood »

There's speculation going around that the Criterion Collection is coming out with a Blu-Ray edition of Mulholland Drive: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11468

I wish Criterion would confirm or deny this rumor -- I had been about to pick up a copy on DVD, but that'd seem like a waste of money if it's about to be released on Blu.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Rumored Blu-Ray Release

Post by Jerry Horne »

Confirmed.
Attachments
Screen shot 2014-06-24 at 10.33.47 AM.png
Screen shot 2014-06-24 at 10.33.47 AM.png (68.18 KiB) Viewed 24938 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
rewak
RR Diner Member

Post by rewak »

It's not confirmed at all, it's a rumor started a year or so ago after the Criterion Tumblr (which posts oddities from the movie world) posted a picture of the note Lynch sent out to projectionists. Since then so many sites and people have taken that as some subtle hint of a confirmation that they're working on it, but the more that rumor gets spun around the less likely it's actually going to happen.
From Peter Becker, President of The Criterion Collection in a 1999 interview: “The biggest disappointment for all of us right now is Eraserhead, which is a title that we never announced. We were in year-long conversations with David Lynch. And it’s one of these things where David Lynch is a very particular person. He has very peculiar ideas about how he wants to do things. And he doesn’t want to be rushed to make up his mind. And he wants to do what he wants to do, in the way that he wants to do it. He doesn’t want his privacy infringed, and he doesn’t want to be reading about himself. We were in very protective conversations with him about Eraserhead that were all positive, over a long period of time. Suddenly, there’s a rumor on the web that we were actually doing it, and had announced it. At some point, I even saw street dates posted for it. You know, this is something that never even made it on to our actual production load. It had been, at one point, penciled into a schedule — if we could finish up negotiations in time. But that’s as close as it ever come. We had certainly never announced anything about it. That’s upsetting.”
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Criterion will do a great job on MD.
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Post by moviemaker »

MD is indeed coming out on Criterion Blu-ray. With extras too. :wink:
rewak wrote:It's not confirmed at all, it's a rumor started a year or so ago after the Criterion Tumblr (which posts oddities from the movie world) posted a picture of the note Lynch sent out to projectionists. Since then so many sites and people have taken that as some subtle hint of a confirmation that they're working on it, but the more that rumor gets spun around the less likely it's actually going to happen.
From Peter Becker, President of The Criterion Collection in a 1999 interview: “The biggest disappointment for all of us right now is Eraserhead, which is a title that we never announced. We were in year-long conversations with David Lynch. And it’s one of these things where David Lynch is a very particular person. He has very peculiar ideas about how he wants to do things. And he doesn’t want to be rushed to make up his mind. And he wants to do what he wants to do, in the way that he wants to do it. He doesn’t want his privacy infringed, and he doesn’t want to be reading about himself. We were in very protective conversations with him about Eraserhead that were all positive, over a long period of time. Suddenly, there’s a rumor on the web that we were actually doing it, and had announced it. At some point, I even saw street dates posted for it. You know, this is something that never even made it on to our actual production load. It had been, at one point, penciled into a schedule — if we could finish up negotiations in time. But that’s as close as it ever come. We had certainly never announced anything about it. That’s upsetting.”
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

Jerry Horne wrote:Confirmed.
Well, I wouldn't say confirmed, but the other two titles in that blurb, the new edition of Time Bandits and La Dolce Vita are both officially announced for December and October respectively.
sparco1979
Roadhouse Member

Post by sparco1979 »

Had Mulholland Drive on UK Blu Ray for over a year now - its excellent - your in for a treat!
Paper

Post by Paper »

From Criterion's latest newsletter:
Attachments
wacky4-15.jpg
wacky4-15.jpg (9.08 KiB) Viewed 24239 times
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

rewak wrote:It's not confirmed at all, it's a rumor started a year or so ago after the Criterion Tumblr (which posts oddities from the movie world) posted a picture of the note Lynch sent out to projectionists. Since then so many sites and people have taken that as some subtle hint of a confirmation that they're working on it, but the more that rumor gets spun around the less likely it's actually going to happen.
Attachments
mulholland-drive-criterion.jpg
mulholland-drive-criterion.jpg (27.71 KiB) Viewed 24217 times
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Jerry Horne wrote:
I've only just seen this. Oh wow. I was jumping with joy over the zavvi steel book which, although beautiful, offered nothing new that the previous release didn't either. Surely criterion will give us some more tasty treats, as well as making it look even better.

Sort of related, a friend of mine said he watched Mulholland Drive through a black and white filter a while ago because he felt inspired for a moment. He said it made it feel incredible and "right at home". He's an oddball alright, but I can get where he's coming from I think!
kafard
RR Diner Member

Post by kafard »

It is not a rumor at all now.
Release date : 27 october 2015

More infomations here:

http://www.criterion.com/films/28050-mulholland-dr

https://www.facebook.com/CriterionColle ... 23930565:0
A french little guy named : Dam.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Criterion Collection (Rumored Blu-Ray Release)

Post by LateReg »

Reviews from Blu-ray.com and dvdbeaver both say that the advance in picture quality over previous editions is astounding, beyond expectations. I honestly didn't expect this. This is fantastic.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

LateReg wrote:Reviews from Blu-ray.com and dvdbeaver both say that the advance in picture quality over previous editions is astounding, beyond expectations. I honestly didn't expect this. This is fantastic.
I wouldn't go that far, but it looks a slight upgrade on the Studio Canal version. Although SC has better bonus content (as you'd expect really).
Paper

Post by Paper »

Metamorphia wrote:
LateReg wrote:Reviews from Blu-ray.com and dvdbeaver both say that the advance in picture quality over previous editions is astounding, beyond expectations. I honestly didn't expect this. This is fantastic.
I wouldn't go that far, but it looks a slight upgrade on the Studio Canal version. Although SC has better bonus content (as you'd expect really).
How so? Have you viewed the Criterion edition's interviews? Based on both reviews, they seem pretty extensive to me...
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Metamorphia wrote:
I haven't watched the Criterion yet and I really like the Studio Canal presentation. But judging by the fact that many pointed out flaws in Studio Canal's presentation and that the Criterion offers a 4k remaster supervised by Lynch and Deming, and that both reviewers say the same ecstatic thing, I don't see why there's any reason to doubt that this release really is that much better. Have you seen the Criterion in motion or are you just going off screen caps?

Also, as far as the extras go, I won't be getting rid of my Studio Canal, but these NEW interviews (over 75 minutes worth) seem like they will be very worthwhile.