Deleted scenes

Discussion of Mulholland Drive

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

garethw
RR Diner Member

Deleted scenes

Post by garethw »

Anyone know if it's known to still exist?

It seems unlikely that this material would have been lost or discarded.

I'm aware of the "second" cut of the pilot version that Lynch hates and is floating around as a bootleg, but there must be considerably more material than that out there, somewhere.

With the feverish interest in the FWWM deleted scenes, I'm surprised that the topic of the unused footage from Mulholland Dr. rarely comes up.
Roger
Roadhouse Member

Re: Deleted scenes

Post by Roger »

I'm not sure about a 2nd pilot.
From what I understand David didn't want the pilot shown at all since it would be an incomplete story.
-Roger

"If you don't clean up. You're screwed."- David Lynch - LAMP

Read my new book on horror host Dr. Paul Bearer:
https://www.createspace.com/4132884

Doctor Xombie Horror Host:
ww.DOCTORXOMBIE.com
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Roger wrote:I'm not sure about a 2nd pilot.
From what I understand David didn't want the pilot shown at all since it would be an incomplete story.
Yes. David didn't want it, but it leaked to the Internet.
Roger
Roadhouse Member

Post by Roger »

qbin2001 wrote:
Yes but I've never heard of a second pilot.
-Roger

ww.DOCTORXOMBIE.com
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Roger wrote:
qbin2001 wrote:
Yes but I've never heard of a second pilot.
I think he meant that pilot is the second cut of the material (finished movie is 1st).
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

qbin2001 wrote:I think he meant that pilot is the second cut of the material (finished movie is 1st).
No, I meant exactly what I said. What's out there was David's second cut of the pilot.

His first cut was way too long (can't find the source on it, but I believe it was over 2 hours). ABC told him to cut it into a 90-minute piece, suitable for airing in a 2-hour slot. He did, and hated the result, and that's what got bootlegged.
David Lynch wrote:All I know is, I loved making it, ABC hated it, and I don't like the cut I turned in. I agreed with ABC that the longer cut was too slow, but I was forced to butcher it because we had a deadline, and there wasn't time to finesse anything. It lost texture, big scenes, and storylines, and there are 300 tape copies of the bad version circulating around. Lots of people have seen it, which is embarrassing, because they're bad-quality tapes, too. I don't want to think about it.
I interpret that to mean that material was shot for the pilot that was not used. I'm sure it exists... somewhere.
Roger
Roadhouse Member

Post by Roger »

I see what you mean now garethw. I had no idea there was a second cut.
I just got the Revised Edition of Lynch On Lynch and he does talk about the "butchered" 88 minute 2nd cut that was leaked to the internet.
I'd still love to see his original 2 hour and 5 minute cut. That is a lot of extra footage, but I'd think he would have used most of that for the theatrical.
But there is really no telling without actually seeing it.
-Roger

ww.DOCTORXOMBIE.com
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Roger wrote:I see what you mean now garethw. I had no idea there was a second cut.
I just got the Revised Edition of Lynch On Lynch and he does talk about the "butchered" 88 minute 2nd cut that was leaked to the internet.
I'd still love to see his original 2 hour and 5 minute cut. That is a lot of extra footage, but I'd think he would have used most of that for the theatrical.
But there is really no telling without actually seeing it.
As far as I can recall, there's very little in the theatrical version that's not in the Butchered Pilot (yeah, I've seen it - sorry, Mr. Lynch, I couldn't help it :oops: ) before Rita cuts her hair off, and everything after that point was shot later - certainly nothing I could characterize as the "big scenes and storylines" Lynch says were missing in the shorter cut. So I think there has to be at least a few scenes out there.
Roger
Roadhouse Member

Post by Roger »

I've always assumed, for the most part, that the third part of the movie when identities change again was all the new stuff he filmed.

He was probably setting up big story lines for when the pilot went to series that had to be cut to make a movie.

He should own the rights to all the footage now right?
I'm surprised they weren't released individually as deleted scenes on the DVD.
That would make a very nice Blu-ray release. :mrgreen:
-Roger

ww.DOCTORXOMBIE.com
Montana
Roadhouse Member

Post by Montana »

garethw wrote: With the feverish interest in the FWWM deleted scenes, I'm surprised that the topic of the unused footage from Mulholland Dr. rarely comes up.
Well, I think the FWWM deleted scenes cause a fuss because A) there are more TP fans than MD fans and B) this would be last chance to seen any "new" material featuring much-loved characters from a long-running series. Oh, and C) FWWM material would expand/extend the TP universe, whereas the MD deleted scenes I guess would have taken MD in a different direction and made the MD story more confused/contradictory (compared to the film version).
But yes, I would also like to see the MD material. Does anyone have a summary of the scenes cut?
Neosmith
Roadhouse Member

Post by Neosmith »

Being a USC student, I spoke to Mary Sweeney and she told me she doesn't have any access to that original pilot.

Interestingly enough, Laura Harring at a recent screening of the film at our campus, mentioned that the new stuff they shot when David remade it into a film was only 18 pages in script length.
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

I had a pretty good post on info on all the deleted scenes i had read about. for some reason it has disappeared. :(
-23-
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Roger wrote:I've always assumed, for the most part, that the third part of the movie when identities change again was all the new stuff he filmed.
Also, at least two things that happen fairly early in the film were apparently not filmed during the pilot shooting, and were filmed later (at the same time as the "new ending"): the opening Jitterbug dance sequence, and the short scene of the old man and old woman riding in the back of the black car, creepily smiling at each other.