Animation in Mulholland drive

Discussion of Mulholland Drive

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Gruff

Animation in Mulholland drive

Post by Gruff »

Animation in a Lynch film? No I'm not kidding. It's there, but fairly well 'hidden'.
Lynch has since his early days always been inspired by animation, so it make sense to me that he'd use it in some creative way in his work.

I've tweaked the setting on my player and found that the artifacts I'd been noticing were actually part of an animation layer present throughout the entire length of the film.
I'm sure it has an effect on the viewers subconscious viewing experience. I'd really like to know what Lynch has to say about this. Hm, maybe he's discussed it in his autobiography?

Anyway you don't actually need to play around with filters to see the animation. I'd suggest you try a little experiment yourself. If you like try watching the film in a dark room. This might be scary but it helps. Immediately after watching the film, try staring at a blank wall or ceiling. Its best if nothing else in in your field of vision so a few inches from the wall is good. Allow yourself to notice the surface of the wall without focusing on any specific details. After a few minutes you may begin to notice a shift in your perception.

I'd like to say more but I don't really want to influence your experience any more than I already have.

Obviously I'll be happy to discuss this with anyone who replies.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Re: Animation in Mulholland drive

Post by garethw »

Errrmm... are certain chemicals required to see this animation? :D

Trying to remain open-minded... what exactly are we looking for?
Gruff

Post by Gruff »

Hey garethw, thanks for the reply. Sorry about the really late reply ;)
'Are certain chemicals needed?' I'd say its probably best not to have them influence your perception. Try and wait till you've confirmed your suspicions with real tangible evidence. Tweak around on your media player, not your light bulb, if you catch my drift. lol
That said, I kinda came to this discovery while high on cannabis so I think you'd do well to light a joint and watch the film, or any Lynch film for that matter. Try 'Lost highway' for starters if you like. The intro to that film almost calls for it. :)
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Post by John Neff »

I can guarantee you there is no 'animation layer' in "Mulholland Drive".

If you want Lynch animation, try "Dumbland".

Must be some great dope you've got there...