Is Sheryl Lee in this movie ?

Discussion of Mulholland Drive

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mb3
RR Diner Member

Is Sheryl Lee in this movie ?

Post by Mb3 »

I'm not sure if this has been asked before in another thread. But today I watched Mulholland drive again and during the scene when Betty and Rita enter the theatre to watch the performance of Rebekah Del Rio I noticed a woman sitting on the right side that looked exactly like Sheryl Lee but she wasn't named in the credits or anything. So does anyone know if it was her or maybe just someone who looked similar to her ?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Is Sheryl Lee in this movie ?

Post by Jerry Horne »

Check out who's sitting next to 'Laura'. Looks like Ronette to me.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
yvanehtnioj1214
Roadhouse Member

Post by yvanehtnioj1214 »

http://dugpa.com/2002/04/09/mulholland-drive-mystery
IMG_0748.JPG
IMG_0748.JPG (22.86 KiB) Viewed 26364 times
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Thanks for the link. I've watched Mulholland Drive five or six times but last night it was the first time that I noticed this woman.
yvanehtnioj1214
Roadhouse Member

Post by yvanehtnioj1214 »

Mb3 wrote:Thanks for the link. I've watched Mulholland Drive five or six times but last night it was the first time that I noticed this woman.
Actually, before I noticed "Laura and Ronette" I thought I saw a guy who looked like James in the same scene.
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Post by John Neff »

I can tell you Sheryl Lee is not in this scene.
The resemblance is just that - a resemblance.
Besides, I've met Sheryl, and she does not look that old.
davidchili

Post by davidchili »

Another mystery solved.
Thank you very much, John.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

Alright I've noticed that too when rewatching MD yesterday. I've looked up the MD cast on imdb and there is indeed Phoebe Augustine (Ronette Pulaski) listed with the uncredited role as Woman in Club Silencio.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166924/ful ... cl_sm#cast

Yet there is no Sheryl Lee even under uncredited roles, but I'm 100 % convinced that was her. I don't know why she was left out, or why would Lynch want to keep her appearance as secret, but character of Laura Palmer was there for a purpose to as one of many symbols that indicate Diane was sexually abused during her childhood.
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

Here Comes That Bob wrote:Alright I've noticed that too when rewatching MD yesterday. I've looked up the MD cast on imdb and there is indeed Phoebe Augustine (Ronette Pulaski) listed with the uncredited role as Woman in Club Silencio.

Yet there is no Sheryl Lee even under uncredited roles, but I'm 100 % convinced that was her. I don't know why she was left out, or why would Lynch want to keep her appearance as secret, but character of Laura Palmer was there for a purpose to as one of many symbols that indicate Diane was sexually abused during her childhood.
Pretty much anybody can edit IMDb, though. Especially seeing as it's uncredited, I'd be very skeptical. Now it's possible that Lynch got two extras who have a similar look to Laura and Ronette on purpose, but I don't think that it's actually Lee and Augustine.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

David Locke wrote:
Here Comes That Bob wrote:Alright I've noticed that too when rewatching MD yesterday. I've looked up the MD cast on imdb and there is indeed Phoebe Augustine (Ronette Pulaski) listed with the uncredited role as Woman in Club Silencio.

Pretty much anybody can edit IMDb, though. Especially seeing as it's uncredited, I'd be very skeptical. Now it's possible that Lynch got two extras who have a similar look to Laura and Ronette on purpose, but I don't think that it's actually Lee and Augustine.
It could be, altough I don't get why anyone would randomly edit some relatively unknown actress on the cast board. I believe it was Lynch's intention for those 2 to represent Laura and Ronnete even if they were some look alike extras like you say.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

To me the question isn't is Sheryl and Phoebe in the film, but did Lynch find two actors who looks like them on purpose. The fact that we know they used that same location for the new series only adds to the :?:
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
bluefrank
Roadhouse Member

Post by bluefrank »

When I met Sheryl at the 2014 UK Twin Peaks fest - this was what I asked her about, NO LIE! I asked her if she was in the Silencio scene for MD. The funny thing is - even she seemed a bit confused and not sure herself! This is the truth (she really was a bit fazed by my question) I remember it like it was yesterday! I think she had been asked about it before - that's what I thought, at least. David either used them, or deliberately chose actors that looked like Laura/Ronette - or some sort of digital manipulation might've been used. :D
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

(This is currently being discussed here: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 45#p125345. Repeating what I posted there:)

My take - both women bear more then a slight overall resemblance to Laura and Ronette so I could see Lynch having them in the scene for that purpose. But are they the actual actors? I don't think so. The blonde looks a little like Sheryl Lee in the face, but I don't think it's her. The brunette's facial features look nothing like Phoebe Augustine to me, and I definitely don't think it's her, but someone should ask her at the next convention. It is (or was when I posted this) on her IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0041935 - but anyone can add anything to that.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

In the other thread, Jasper linked to this page, which I thought should go here too:
I'm still not convinced that's Sheryl Lee but have to admit the side by side photos on that page make the facial similarity stronger.

Phoebe Augustine has completely different facial features than the brunette, though, imo.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.