Forum Closing April 15th, 2022

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dugpa
Site Admin

Forum Closing April 15th, 2022

Post by dugpa »

Over the last 20+ years, Dugpa.com has helped bring the online Twin Peaks community together. Standing on the shoulders of the alt.tv.twin-peaks, Mike Dunn’s Lynchnet, the Twin Peaks Gazette, and many others, it has been an honor to help serve the Twin Peaks/David Lynch online interactive community since 1999.

We have decided to close the forum down on Friday, April 15th at 11:11pm PST. Those that have saved attachments and contacts in their accounts are urged to log in prior to that time to ensure you can make personal backups as all personal accounts will be inactive after that date.

The site will remain up for the time being for archival purposes. Thanks everyone for the fond memories.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Forum Closing April 15th, 2022

Post by Jerry Horne »

The end of an era. Thanks for all you have done for the Peaks community Dugpa!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I'm truly devasted even as a newbie. Thanks for allowing my wonderful if short time here.

Is there any chance of others carrying the burden if there are volunteers? Or a way for us to help support the upkeep?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Oh, hell.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I fully expect official news of a new Twin Peaks series from Lynch to drop the morning of the 16th. Thanks for everything, dugpa! This site and forum was instrumental in my Lynch fandom and it will be missed.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Oh dang, lots of memories here. Will follow Twin Peaks stuff on Twitter but will miss the deep film analysis.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Oh wow. That saddens me actually.
Well thanks for keeping the forum going as long as you did. And thanks to everyone for their wonderful and strange contributions. I've really enjoyed this forum, made friends here, read insightful discussions.

Possible upcoming Lynch news and the forum now closing. Can't help wondering if the two are connected.
Histeria wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:37 pm Is there any chance of others carrying the burden if there are volunteers? Or a way for us to help support the upkeep?

Personally I'd love if (part of) the community could move somewhere together. Preferably on another Php Bulletin board like this one. Would anyone be interested in that?
Now I personally dislike reddit, and I'd hate having to move to the subreddit /r/twinpeaks to get my dose of TP/discussion. But I've quickly made www.reddit.com/r/dugpa . It was the fastest option I could think of. Maybe we can all gather there. Keep in touch, and think about an alternative. Open to all interested.

So long fellow dugpas!!!
Last edited by Soolsma on Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

i've been a part of other forums where when management no longer wants to continue, they ask the community if there are any other board members who are willing and able to take over, and that has worked well. has any thought been given to that? would hate to see a forum that still has an active community cease to exist, when forums are already such a critically endangered discussion format
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Thanks for everything Dugpa. And fare thee well all.

Edited to add: I will miss this place. I've been here 15 years and it's the only forum - apart from a couple of writing ones I mostly lurk on - that I use. Reddit is useful but it's just not quite the same. I've never found another Twin Peaks community that comes even close to here. I'm sure many of you feel the same. Something special about this place.

As just one of many examples, check out the discussions for each individual episode. I've contributed a lot to them (especially the S1 and S2 ones) during my once-regular rewatches of the show and others (including Mr. Reindeer and LostintheMovies and David Locke and many more) have also contributed a lot to them. I always found them essential reading during rewatches - and even when not rewatching.

There's just so many other threads, many dating right back to 2007, that are still invaluable resources on the show, the creators, information that just isn't anywhere else.

It's been an amazing place and full kudos to Dugpa for that for his tireless time, efforts, and upmost professionalism even in the face of personal threats during rough spots he experienced on here that he rose above and kept the forum going in spite of.

Also shout outs to Jerry, Brad, BookHouseBoyBob, Annie, Ross, all the mods who contributed their time as a mark of respect to Dugpa, the show and the community.

And to every poster (including some of the ones I've already mentioned and many, many more I haven't and won't get a chance to) including regular posters AudreyHorne - especially for their amazing posts about watching TP back in the day - AgentEarle, Histeria, DougieJones, JackwithoneEye, Ickles, Stavrogyn, mtwentz, LateReg, krishnanspace, Panapaok, vicksvapor77, underthefan, Jasper, Cappy, and sneakydave (who we all know is really David Lynch in disguise...) and so many, many more.

And finally a shout out to everyone I haven't mentioned - if I haven't named you it's just that I'm writing this off the top of my head quickly this morning before my first cup of coffee, please don't take it personally if I forgot to mention you, it's either an oversight or just due to so many members and limited space ... and this feels like an Oscar speech now and I feel they're already playing me off! - for their contributions.
Last edited by Jonah on Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding thanks and shout outs.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Thanks dugpa, and I'm really, really sad about this.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Soolsma wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:13 pm Oh wow. That saddens me actually.
Well thanks for keeping the forum going as long as you did. And thanks to everyone for their wonderful and strange contributions. I've really enjoyed this forum, made friends here, read insightful discussions.

Possible upcoming Lynch news and the forum now closing. Can't help wondering if the two are connected.
Histeria wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:37 pm Is there any chance of others carrying the burden if there are volunteers? Or a way for us to help support the upkeep?

Personally I'd love if (part of) the community could move somewhere together. Preferably on another Php Bulletin board like this one. Would anyone be interested in that?
Now I personally dislike reddit, and I'd hate having to move to the subreddit /r/twinpeaks to get my dose of TP/discussion. But I've quickly made www.reddit.com/r/dugpa . It was the fastest option I could think of. Maybe we can all gather there. Keep in touch, and think about an alternative. Open to all interested.

So long fellow dugpas!!!
I'd be interested. I'm vaguely familiar with xenforo so could help set up a successor if it came to that.

Of course, I'd much rather this place was able to continue in one form or another. Or, if that isn't possible, that there's potential to migrate the forum and historical posts to a new home.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Many, many thanks to you, Dugpa, and to all involved in the upkeep of this site and its wonderful forum.

Also, thanks to the many excellent members.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I've used the subreddit but I don't think it's the same for a variety of reasons.

I'd be open to any number of migration options people come up with, but I'm mostly gratified for Dugpa's years of service and saddened by the loss of a historical monument.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

I’m also grateful to Dugpa and to mods such as Jerry who have made this such a great place for Twin Peaks discussion.

Like others here I would be happy to migrate elsewhere if it would mean preserving some of the community, although it would of course be amazing if this board could continue in some form.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

N. Needleman wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:27 pm I've used the subreddit but I don't think it's the same for a variety of reasons.

I'd be open to any number of migration options people come up with, but I'm mostly gratified for Dugpa's years of service and saddened by the loss of a historical monument.
I once saw a phpBB forum close, and all of its active members move to a new one that kept everything the same, although there was no migration of data from the previous forum.

I have no experience in creating or operating a forum, but apparently a proboards forum can be set up for free, though I don’t think that just anybody should do it.

https://www.proboards.com/

From their FAQ: “If you wish to import your existing forum data, check out Forums.net which offers a data migration service.”

If there is a forum switch, with or without data migration, I will heartily support it, provided that the style/format is kept the same, the posting policies are kept the same (especially no-politics), the existing mods/admins on this forum are offered the same privileges on the new forum, and the primary admin over the entire thing is known and trusted, has a steady hand, and is good at maintaining neutrality in disputes.

I nominate Jerry Horne.