Forum Closing April 15th, 2022

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Re: Forum Closing April 15th, 2022

Post by sneakydave »

mtwentz wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:00 am Wait Audrey Horne talking about John Justice Wheeler made me remember we haven't heard from Mordeen.
I've tried to initiate contact through a mutual friend. Would be nice if we got to say a final goodbye to him in here.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Rainwater wrote:Quick suggestion to dugpa, since no one will be able to log in anymore to the archived forum, perhaps you could allow user profiles to be viewed without logging in? In case someone wants to find a particular post in their own or another user's history.
I’ll be exploring options. Only so much can be done with the software. Will do my best.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Thank you!
I'll see you in the trees
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

I just wanted to thank dugpa and everyone who made this forum possible one more time, it was my favourite place on the internet. Sretno i vidimo se!
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
David Lich
Roadhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by David Lich »

"Pie. Whoever invented the pie? Here was a great person. In Twin Peaks, we specialize in cherry pie and huckleberry pie. We do have many other types of pie, and at the Double R Diner, Norma knows how to make them all better than anyone I have ever known. I hope Norma likes me. I know I like her and respect her. I have spit my pitch gum out of my mouth onto her walls and floors and sometimes onto her booths. Sometimes I get angry and do things I'm not proud of. I do love Norma's pies. I love pie with coffee."

bye DUGPA
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

I haven’t posted here in a good long while, and I’ve had a few user names over the years (I’m terrible with forgetting usernames/passwords!), but just wanted to leave one last message on here before it closes. Like everyone else here, Twin Peaks impact on my life has been… well it was like an atomic blast. And the Dugpa forums fostered that love over the years - not least those years where it seemed like there was no reason to think anything else Twin Peaks related would ever come, let alone the then long rumoured Missing Pieces, eventual S3, etc. I don’t have the words to say what this forum meant during that time. The level of analysis, the community of fans - it’s been wonderful. I’m making children’s books now, and even though most would struggle to see it, Twin Peaks’, Lynch’s & Frost’s lesson to dance to the beat of your own drum are all over it. And, again, that wouldn’t have happened without these forums fostering that love.

Massive, massive thank you to Dugpa and all the amazing mods on here. You’re all brilliant and made this place amazing. Hope you all take care, and all the best.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

thanks for everything, guys. Closest i've ever been to being in a club, this place.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

I hope all the folks saying goodbye are heading over to the Tulpa forum.

We've got to stick together us Peakies!!
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

I'll chime in along with everyone else, albeit with a touch of the bittersweet.

I had been visiting this place years before I finally signed up back in 2015. I remember the exact moment because it was Mother's Day, and I had to hurry...

Actually, I believe at some point around INLAND EMPIRE I had another account, but for the life of me can't remember if that's true! But when it came time for The Return, and I was a-lurking, I had to get an account so I could ask some questions to get the specific, non-spoilerific answers I was looking for. The best thing about this board, beyond the invaluable discussion about the work itself, is the fact that you could TRUST the members of it--trust them to be respectful enough not to spoil anything that a spoiler-phobe like myself may not want spoiled. Imagine that in today's anonymous, fast-paced, web-based world! Just a truly remarkable bunch here.

This board no doubt kept the spark alive, likely playing a role in bringing the series back. It's certainly bittersweet, ironic or perhaps a sign of the times that the board was alive for so many years, partly clinging to nostalgia and hope that the series would return, and then when it did--in the form of one of the more significant artworks of the century--the forum became divided (it couldn't have gone any other way) and only lasted another five years. That lopsided fact makes me a bit sad, but I understand that life goes on and Dugpa et al probably kept the board alive longer than expected, and for that I'm eternally grateful.

All in all, thank you so much. I'm so glad so many of us have already migrated to Tulpa, which certainly alleviates the pain of Dugpa's demise. I look forward to more mysterious disappointments and endless debates!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Well, just a few more hours of compulsively refreshing this forum on my phone, almost out of habit. Even with the new Tulpa forum--for which I am so grateful, and which certainly eases the blow considerably--it will be weird to not have THIS site open on my phone all the time. Checking this place has probably been more or less the most consistent thing in my life on a daily basis for the past seven or so years. It really took awhile for me to work up the courage to stop lurking and make the plunge to joining the community, in part because I was so intimidated by the brilliance and insight of many of the discussions. Oddly, my first post was in the Lynch general forum, to brag that I'd found Lynch's rumored cameo in the film Heartbeat. It must have been one of my phases of hunting down every piece of Lynch minutia, and I guess I was so excited I had to tell someone. Where else to go?

This place was especially invaluable to me during the airing of TR (special shout-out to all the Profoundly Disappointed, who provided some of my favorite discussions ever on here), and during my early-covid rewatch. Throughout covid in general, actually, checking in on this forum was one of the things that kept me from going crazy with isolation, and it's helped get me through some other dark periods the past couple of years. Thanks to each and every one of you for being part of that in one way or another.

marchug beat me to the punch quoting Judge Sternwood's great "Valahalla" line, so I'll just say...

Silencio.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Agent Earle »

LateReg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:55 pm
Hey, I agree with you about finding it impossible to rank the Cronenbergs. I frequently juggle five or so as his best and then another eight or so that are close behind!

But what I mean by Lynch having higher highs might be a difficult conversation to have with you specifically, because unless I remember incorrectly, you're not the biggest fan of three Lynch things that many would rank near the top of his heap: Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive and The Return (I assume you like Blue Velvet, though).

But to put it another way, in every decade except the 90s* I think a Lynch film has outshone any Cronenberg film, even if Cronenberg had made more great films overall in any ten year span: Eraserhead in the 70s, Blue Velvet in the 80s, Mulholland Drive in the 2000s (and I believe that the more divisive INLAND EMPIRE is of equal quality), and The Return in the 2010s. So that's why I believe Lynch has higher highs.

*As much as I like Wild At Heart and love Fire Walk with Me, Lost Highway and The Straight Story, I think Cronenberg's Crash wins that decade.

PS - eXistenZ is also one of my personal faves!

This will probably be my last post on this forum, and given the circumstances (the Cannes festival debacle and no real news regarding any kind of TP continuation), I guess it's kinda appropriate (though maybe a little perverse as well) that it's not Lynch-related. It's funny how even though we often tend to agree on general things, we somehow fail to agree when it comes to the details - in this present case, we both put great value and respect in Cronenberg's work as a whole, but don't see eye-to-eye on the current theme of decades' artistic/creative peaks.
This means that I think the only decade in which Cronenberg decidedly didn't best Lynch with his creations are the 90s - I think the 90s are the decade that's the weakest one when it comes to Croneberg's films (with one notable exception - eXistenZ). Crash is definitely not among my favourites of his (though I hadn't seen it a couple of decades, admittedly, and might change my mind on a rewatch), and certainly not better than Lynch's Wild at Heart and FWWM. The latter two consist my "holy trinity" of Lynch works, the third one being, of course, Blue Velvet. But despite the latter - easily my favourite Lynch film by far (the only thing coming close TP episodes of seasons 1 and 2 that he helmed) - coming out in the 80s, I still would not rate it higher than Cronenberg's output of that decade, a decade when he was, in my opinion firing on all cylinders. Let's see: Scanners, Videodrome, The Dead Zone, the Fly, Dead Ringers are all indisputable masterpieces in my book, whose status can't be challenged even by Lynch's Blue Velvet. As far as the 70s go, it's a no-brainer on my part, since I don't like Eraserhead at all: Cronenber's Shivers and The Brood (haven't seen Rabid yet) are miles above it. The same goes for Spider, History of Violence and Eastern Promises when it comes to comparing them to Mulholland Dr. and Inland Empire of the 2000s.

So that's that. If I get a reply from you, LateReg, chances are I won't be able to respond in here before the forum shuts down for good, which will practically be any time now. It's been a pleasure participating in the discussions with you and all others who weren't put off by my frequently grouchy (some would maybe call it rude) disposition and personal frustrations on account of what The Return brought to the table (compared to what I wanted it to bring). Thanks for putting up with me and allowing me a place to vent! It was also a pleasure reading through the debates in which I was merely an onlooker, and I suspect I'll be paying this place a visit for many years in the future, browsing through the wealth of its material, should it stay on-line (fingers crossed that it does!). And with that, I bid you all farewell, and I'll see you in another place, another time. Hopefully sooner rather than later...
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Lovely post, Mr. Reindeer. I'm surprised to hear you were intimidated by some of the discussions initially given that I always found you one of the most insightful and intelligent contributors here and a huge font of Lynch and Peaks knowledge.

-

This will be one of my last posts on here - so wanted to share this gif. Seems appropriate.

I gave all my thanks and shoutouts in my post on the first page of this thread - but thanks again to Dugpa for everything, to my fellow mods and members and everyone. To borrow a phrase from Twin Peaks and underthefan: "See you all at the Curtain Call (i.e. Tulpa)."

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

It has been a pleasure speaking to you.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

There's no tomorrow. Know why? Cause it'll never get here.
I'll see you in the trees
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

You beat me to it, Jonah! I already had this one in the can. Might as well put them back-to-back.

eooy.jpg
eooy.jpg (408.7 KiB) Viewed 44740 times