Forum Closing April 15th, 2022

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Re: Forum Closing April 15th, 2022

Post by Rainwater »

Jonah: Well, if you're browsing from a computer, you can probably right click and save the page as a document on your PC, then just open it through the browser any time you want. Or take screenshots - try a program like Greenshot.

But besides that, to anyone concerned about archiving, there is of course archive.org - a great treasure of the internet, that holds many great treasures within itself! Pretty much the whole forum is backed up there, with "snapshots" at various moments throughout the years - each individual page, including pages of every thread, is saved separately, so some things may be very outdated. You can submit a fresh, current snapshot yourself by just inputting the specific URL here: web.archive.org/save
So if you go to https://web.archive.org/web/*/dugpa.com/forum/index.php you'll see I've just made a fresh capture of the index page. Just click on the date to view it. However, if you then click on the Twin Peaks section of the forum, you'll see it's a capture from last summer, so way outdated. And then each individual thread, and each page of every thread, will also have been captured at various times in the past. So if you want to bring anything specific up to date, you'll have to do a whole bunch of copying and pasting of URLs and submitting them to the archive. Archiving is also done automatically, but of course it's not being kept up to date, with the massive amount of websites that are archived.

It would also be great if a full archive of the forum at the moment of closing is available indefinitely for people to read at this address or the new, but of course that's up to dugpa, and/or Histeria and what they figure out.
I'll see you in the trees
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I concur. I think we should probably keep this thread as a tribute to Dugpa - both the site itself and the man himself - and any other members people might want to thank, as well as posting messages about their time here.

Thanks to Histeria's initiative, a second forum was quickly set up and people seem to be registering on there. (I understand there were also suggestions about reddit and another forum and I don't know where things stand with those right now but it would seem most people are moving to the forum site.) I'd suggest if people are having trouble registering for the new site, they perhaps send Histeria a PM and let them know rather than posting here. And, with Dugpa's permission, a new thread could be set up regarding the new site? I could move posts from here over to there if you like, Histeria.

I've set up a new thread for now to move posts about the new forum over to. Maybe put discussion about the new site and suggestions either on the new site or in the new thread and/or PM Histeria. Here's the link:
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4367
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Wanted to take a moment and write about how much this site, and this forum have meant to me for the past twenty-plus years.

It's hard to describe, the feeling one had in the early aughts if you were a Twin Peaks fan who could never let go. It felt like forever to just get season one on DVD, and then six long years after to get the second season. I wasn't aware of Wrapped in Plastic or the Twin Peaks festival at the time. I would only read dispatches from dugpa.com that kept up with the minute chances of our favorite show, finally digitized in full! Finally getting my hands on season two on dvd coincided with this forum opening up. I dove in on day one, not even able to imagine the doors and friendships ahead.

A couple of years later, I am standing in Glastonberry Grove, meeting dugpa for the first time. I was really quite starstruck. We walked around Franklin Canyon and relished in the joy of standing in parts of "the real Twin Peaks". Five years after that, I saw dugpa again at the Missing Pieces Premiere. He had a producer credit on that treasured lost ark of TP, and I had just released my tp book. Dreams coming true in real time. Still feels like a dream.

Other adventures included meeting Ray Wise and Sheryl Lee (and others) with The Arm who is just an amazing person and someone I'm glad to know. Then I almost got arrested with Charles from InTwinPeaks when we trespassed on a forbidden location. Then I met Audrey Horne who is one of the funniest people I've ever met. They helped me immensely with my TP book afterward, and although I likely drove them crazy, it never would have happened without their support. Ross is also another person who amazes me. He designed my China Beach book and it honestly could not have looked better. Every dvd/soundtrack design he's shared has carried more heart and soul than any official TP packaging. Jerry Horne is one of the modern day pillars of TP fandom -- somehow always remaining firmly in the shadows. What fun we've had talking Peaks over the years. Though their time here was brief and explosive, Arbogast's friendship has been another blessing in my life, and funnily enough, the person I keep in touch with the most from TP. (Not certain if this is well-known, but if you look hard enough on one of the s3 Red Room BTS vignettes, the crew is literally reading this forum, making it official TP canon :lol )

If you take this forum out of the equation of my life, many amazing memories go kaputt. I'm so thankful to dugpa for creating this space. TP fandom is an unstable element, yet this site has endured though the darkest and craziest and happiest of TP days. Thank you, dugpa. Thank you all.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I lost touch with Arbogast a few years ago. I still have his old email but I haven't bothered him on it so I don't even know if it's still his - I should try to reach out.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Brad D wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:47 am Wanted to take a moment and write about how much this site, and this forum have meant to me for the past twenty-plus years.

It's hard to describe, the feeling one had in the early aughts if you were a Twin Peaks fan who could never let go. It felt like forever to just get season one on DVD, and then six long years after to get the second season. I wasn't aware of Wrapped in Plastic or the Twin Peaks festival at the time. I would only read dispatches from dugpa.com that kept up with the minute chances of our favorite show, finally digitized in full! Finally getting my hands on season two on dvd coincided with this forum opening up. I dove in on day one, not even able to imagine the doors and friendships ahead.

A couple of years later, I am standing in Glastonberry Grove, meeting dugpa for the first time. I was really quite starstruck. We walked around Franklin Canyon and relished in the joy of standing in parts of "the real Twin Peaks". Five years after that, I saw dugpa again at the Missing Pieces Premiere. He had a producer credit on that treasured lost ark of TP, and I had just released my tp book. Dreams coming true in real time. Still feels like a dream.

Other adventures included meeting Ray Wise and Sheryl Lee (and others) with The Arm who is just an amazing person and someone I'm glad to know. Then I almost got arrested with Charles from InTwinPeaks when we trespassed on a forbidden location. Then I met Audrey Horne who is one of the funniest people I've ever met. They helped me immensely with my TP book afterward, and although I likely drove them crazy, it never would have happened without their support. Ross is also another person who amazes me. He designed my China Beach book and it honestly could not have looked better. Every dvd/soundtrack design he's shared has carried more heart and soul than any official TP packaging. Jerry Horne is one of the modern day pillars of TP fandom -- somehow always remaining firmly in the shadows. What fun we've had talking Peaks over the years. Though their time here was brief and explosive, Arbogast's friendship has been another blessing in my life, and funnily enough, the person I keep in touch with the most from TP. (Not certain if this is well-known, but if you look hard enough on one of the s3 Red Room BTS vignettes, the crew is literally reading this forum, making it official TP canon :lol )

If you take this forum out of the equation of my life, many amazing memories go kaputt. I'm so thankful to dugpa for creating this space. TP fandom is an unstable element, yet this site has endured though the darkest and craziest and happiest of TP days. Thank you, dugpa. Thank you all.
What a wonderful post Brad. I never noticed that little forum "easter egg" in the BTS but I'll be keeping my eyes peeled next time I watch it!

Jerry and Dugpa, in the few times I've spoken with them directly, have been nothing short of friendly, genuine and enviously knowledgeable people and I hope I bump into them in future cyber-hangouts.

I think of Ross often and hope he's keeping well. Another quality bloke. I concur with his artwork. I hope he knows how many people have his pictures lighting up their devices when any TP music is playing. It's certainly all over many of my own.

As well as others mentioned here already, I hope qbin, BOB1, rebel, LostInTheMovies and many others join us to chat again someday soon. So many wonderful people I've met on here throughout the last couple of decades.

Last but by no means least; yourself too Brad. Back before Twin Peaks had any proper social media presence, Reflections popped up out of nowhere (for me anyway!) and completely blindsided me with a renewed love for the show, and that fuzzy feeling that only Peaks can get going. Thank you for that. I still pick it up often. I hope you stick around in whatever form the next step takes, I enjoy seeing your input on here.

All the best everybody! Much love and best wishes to each and every one of you. Thanks for all the great posts, laughs, insights and even squabbles! :lol:
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Thank you, hopesfall - that really means a lot. Honored to hear that!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I agree, that was a great post Brad and I also didn't know that about the BTS feature. Interesting trivia and the other stories you relate are lovely too.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Jonah wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:33 am I agree, that was a great post Brad and I also didn't know that about the BTS feature. Interesting trivia and the other stories you relate are lovely too.
Thanks Jonah - you are a patron saint of this bird. Next time you get to the US we will find some trouble I’m certain!
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Is there any way we can save this place? I’m ready to pitch in money if finance is the problem. Dugpa has been one place that I’ve been visiting everyday since 2015. It’s been part of my life for 7 years now. Feels like I know almost all the regular posters. Feels sad leaving this place.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

I read the board far more than I post but genuinely sorry to see this place close. When I first started lurking here it was with the vague thought that I should really move on from Twin Peaks (without ever finding any show that captured my imagination so wholly). Getting to see a few cut scenes on the DVDs was more exciting than any other season's finale, and the thought of seeing the FWWM missing pieces was almost unthinkable - let alone a new series. I even got to interview some of the TP cast and crew for Jerry Horne's site, which was an absolute pleasure - thanks for the opportunity Jerry!

And Brad - Reflections is an incredible book. It was published around the same time I moved into my current house, and I remember reading it while waiting for my furniture to arrive. At least I had my priorities right!

So, yeah, a big thank from myself to all the mods and everyone who makes the site a good place to be.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

krishnanspace wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:31 am Is there any way we can save this place? I’m ready to pitch in money if finance is the problem. Dugpa has been one place that I’ve been visiting everyday since 2015. It’s been part of my life for 7 years now. Feels like I know almost all the regular posters. Feels sad leaving this place.
I know exactly how you feel. The dugpa forum is often the first thing I check in the morning, on my mobile phone, before even getting up from the bed.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

All this to say that we want another book in the Reflections vein, Brad, that would cover The Return!
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Henrys Hair wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:44 am I read the board far more than I post but genuinely sorry to see this place close. When I first started lurking here it was with the vague thought that I should really move on from Twin Peaks (without ever finding any show that captured my imagination so wholly). Getting to see a few cut scenes on the DVDs was more exciting than any other season's finale, and the thought of seeing the FWWM missing pieces was almost unthinkable - let alone a new series. I even got to interview some of the TP cast and crew for Jerry Horne's site, which was an absolute pleasure - thanks for the opportunity Jerry!

And Brad - Reflections is an incredible book. It was published around the same time I moved into my current house, and I remember reading it while waiting for my furniture to arrive. At least I had my priorities right!

So, yeah, a big thank from myself to all the mods and everyone who makes the site a good place to be.
Thank you very much. I love to hear that!!! I remember your interviews on Jerry’s site. Excellent work!!!
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Just heard about the news… jumping in quickly not as a final statement… more of a placeholder.

Talk about me taking this place for granted all these years. I can’t even begin to account for how much this forum unexpectedly led me in oaths of my life, and the ripple effect from it.

I was in my 20s when I joined this site, and it was just to quickly comment on a show nobody talked about or even stuck around to the end. I thought it be a one time posting, discussion for me… hence, why I quickly chose Audrey Horne as a screen a em, the laziest and quickest thing that came to mind.

I certainly got the most out of this place…. Daydreaming about how the second season could’ve gone led to me learning how to screenwriter. Brad D kicked my ass making me learn how to edit, what it means to produce, totally in awe how he got things done. Dugpa is unbelievably supportive and kind in person.

We got to be here during the unthinkable, the show came back!

And also, the unthinkable for me… I’ve been to the real Twin Peaks more times than I can count. I’ve had dinners, lunches, cries and hugs and phone calls with members of the cast. For a kid obsessed when the show was on, that’s nuts. Audrey was probably my favorite TV character of all time, and I got to not only see her return, but immediately after her debut, go to actress (who was too nervous to watch) in a hotel room and reenact what she did and be the first to tell her how proud I was, and travel and do conventions and see up close the accounts of fans expressing also how she affected their lives- invaluable. I had a front row seat to so many things. I drove the friggin Log Lady around town! - while Catherine Stewart would relay stories about Jack Nance and Kathleen Wilhoitte trying to keep up with who was who. The memories are all flooding back, and I’m rambling. All thanks to Dugpa!

I just got done writing a TV show about arrested development with fans and their relationship with a show that’s been off the air for thirty years, and I release how much it all stemmed from me starting at this place.

Thank you, Dugpa. You’ve changed my life.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

krishnanspace wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:31 am Is there any way we can save this place? I’m ready to pitch in money if finance is the problem. Dugpa has been one place that I’ve been visiting everyday since 2015. It’s been part of my life for 7 years now. Feels like I know almost all the regular posters. Feels sad leaving this place.
It's my understanding that the forum posts will remain up for the time being as part of an overall dugpa archive.

As for the wonderful community of people here, Histeria has set up a new forum for when posting ends on dugpa, and everyone is invited and encouraged to join.

It's up to 72 members already! :o

https://tulpa.community.forum/forums/-/list