2021 Thoughts on Season 3

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Re: 2021 Thoughts on Season 3

Post by Audrey Horne »

Don’t get me started on the Gordon Cole character. By the end, I was surprised there wasn’t a scene where a bunch of nubile actresses sat around in bra and panties debating exactly how large his penis is.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

We laugh… but it would have made the perfect post-credits scene
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Brad D wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:10 am Why on earth do you re-write Big Ed's scene from episode 8 in that first book? It was perfectly acted by McGill, perfectly directed by Lynch - and also captured Rosenfield's essence. I suspect Frost did not remember he had already nailed that scene with perfection on the page. All that time later, I just feel like Lynch and Frost lost the thread of what drew people to Twin Peaks. What I watched was the David Lynch Variety Hour, starring David Lynch, with special guests from Twin Peaks. The pedestrian viewer of TP does not care who writes and directs, they just want a good story and enthralling characters. Those two things did not make it though the percolator IMHO. Would have been cool to see TP re-define the zeitgeist again, but it was not meant to be.
Rosenfeld, not -field right? Don't know if that was a joke about re-writing.

Are you kidding about Frost not remembering that he had already written the opener to season 2? 100 percent he remembers. The Secret History is either a re-telling of the story because its so shameful, OR an alternate timeline.

The Return was nightmarish in content. Do people genuinely believe that Mr C raped Audrey and that none of that is dreamed up? I don't know, the tendency here seems to be basically annoyance that The Return was not more like the ABC produced first two seasons which existed within the parameters of network mainstream tv. Just look at the start of The Return -

WHAT IS THE INSECT NOISE INSIDE THE GRAMOPHONE?

WHERE IS AGENT COOPER with the FIREMAN?

WHY CAN IT NOT BE SAID ALOUD NOW?

Those questions are VERY different to WHO KILLED LAURA PALMER? If people here would answer those questions above you might be somewhere to finding some kernel of truth.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:57 am
It’s “-field,” per the scripts, the books, and Albert’s own pronunciation when he introduces himself. The “-feld” misspelling I believe comes from the end credits of FWWM and has been periodically propagated by fans since, but it’s wrong.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Audrey Horne wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:27 am Don’t get me started on the Gordon Cole character. By the end, I was surprised there wasn’t a scene where a bunch of nubile actresses sat around in bra and panties debating exactly how large his penis is.
That was definitely directorial indulgence. I personally enjoyed all of it, and liked the counterbalance of Ben Horne making more ethical choices.

but if I told you it was anything but indulgence, I'd be a liar.

However, it did have its roots in the original series. It was just played out over 14 episodes instead of just one episode in Season 2 :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:03 am
It’s “-field,” per the scripts, the books, and Albert’s own pronunciation when he introduces himself. The “-feld” misspelling I believe comes from the end credits of FWWM and has been periodically propagated by fans since, but it’s wrong.
Andy called him 'Roserfeld'
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

mtwentz wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:03 am
Audrey Horne wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:27 am Don’t get me started on the Gordon Cole character. By the end, I was surprised there wasn’t a scene where a bunch of nubile actresses sat around in bra and panties debating exactly how large his penis is.
That was definitely directorial indulgence. I personally enjoyed all of it, and liked the counterbalance of Ben Horne making more ethical choices.

However, it did have its roots in the original series. It was just played out over 14 episodes instead of just one episode in Season 2 :-)
Seriously? Lynch wrote that in to say he can still achieve an erection at age 69? That is its sum meaning for you? If you're watching The Return on this level, its little wonder so many of you didn't enjoy it.

About Rosenfield/ feld, it was always pronounced feld in the show I thought but regardless, maybe it was a joke about Albert's bell end?
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

mtwentz wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:04 am
Nope bro he called him Rosen-flower. So much time has passed we're all dementia patients recalling a long gone show nobody cares about anymore.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Lucy also says “Rosenfeld” in Episode 1 (forgot about that), but Albert in Episode 2 and Gordon in Episode 13 both say “Rosenfield,” which is how it’s spelled in the scripts and in TFD.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:08 am

Lucy also says “Rosenfeld” in Episode 1 (forgot about that), but Albert in Episode 2 and Gordon in Episode 13 both say “Rosenfield,” which is how it’s spelled in the scripts and in TFD.
I think Albert even spells it out to Lucy at the sheriff's station.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Henrys Hair wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:13 am
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:08 am

I think Albert even spells it out to Lucy at the sheriff's station.
You are correct! I’d forgotten that, too. Transcript here: http://www.glastonberrygrove.net/texts/episode2.html
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

The dream stuff (in any narrative) is always irrelevant to me because it exists on paper, film etc. one can’t divorce themselves from it. Dorothy met the Scarecrow, Tin Man and Lion and killed The Wicked Witch, yet it was a dream. But we look at that as the active journey to the narrative.

And yes my annoyance is that it was not like the first two seasons (really the first when it was tight and mapped out before going into production), but I’d like to think I can still be objective. For an eighteen hour experiment, I needed a little more zip and things to latch onto. But it is not to dismiss anyone’s enjoyment of it. I’m venting here because it was a big part of my life and it’s therapeutic. (I still love them all)

I think it’s not a big surprise though for a person to be disappointed with the tone the show took. If you go out for pizza and get even something like Filet Mignon handed to you, you’d probably still say, “but we were going out for pizza.”
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:07 am
mtwentz wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:03 am

Seriously? Lynch wrote that in to say he can still achieve an erection at age 69? That is its sum meaning for you? If you're watching The Return on this level, its little wonder so many of you didn't enjoy it.

About Rosenfield/ feld, it was always pronounced feld in the show I thought but regardless, maybe it was a joke about Albert's bell end?
Ha, you don’t want to open that can of worms with me. But I am fully aware of the arena I am stepping into on a Lynch message board. I still love him though.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

I do think Cole's comment was a bit of a joke, making fun of himself. Boasting about something he knows has changed with age. But then this applies on the meta level of trying to return to Twin Peaks - is it going to see washed out, not as potent? Well, I do think The Return paints a depressing image of the town of Twin Peaks having deteriorated in various ways, so there is that. Very much so in various scenes like the Double R being shot at by a child. Its not the Twin Peaks I wanted to see at all, no way! But then that scene was one of the best in the show - the diner one with Bobby et al.
Last edited by NormoftheAndes on Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Brad D wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:10 am Cheers to Lynch and Frost for doing whatever they wanted to do and not surrendering, but did anyone outside of the Lynch echoplex really dig it? I know popular opinion does not exclusively mean success (I think Mozart and Van Gogh died broke) but the whole nature of The Return is basically telling anyone who just watched TP on Netflix to go away.
The critical response was almost universally positive. Even if you want to argue that critics are predisposed to like whatever Lynch does, the rottentomatoes score of 94% is well above his last project’s 72%. It also ended up very near the top of most year-end lists by TV critics and even a few prestigious film lists.

I’m not saying that means everyone has to like it—of course not. But saying that no one outside Lynch’s echoplex could enjoy it seems dismissive.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.