What would you like to see if there's more Twin Peaks?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

What would you like to see if there's more Twin Peaks?

Post by Jonah »

I'm sure we've had similar threads to this before, but with the lack of any news and the general feeling that the speculation has turned to frustration in the Season 4 thread, I thought we needed a new thread.

If there's more Twin Peaks, I'm mainly interested in seeing the outcomes of three main charatcers - Laura/Carrie, Cooper/Richard, and Audrey. Those are the only ones who feel like dangling questions marks to me.

I'd also like to see some of the characters from the original series that we didn't get to see in The Return, such as Catherine, Josie, and Annie. (Possibly Donna too, if LFB or even Moira Kelly came back, and Truman of course.)

I actually think Josie, Audrey, and Annie could maybe be combined in some sort of narrative thread concerning lost women in limbo - maybe they're all in the same place, if not literally, then maybe metaphysically speaking.

I'm not super interested in the rest of the Twin Peaks residents - I was in the wait between Season 2 and The Return, but not so much now. Not because I feel their stories were satisfactorily given closure, quite the opposite, but at the same time I don't feel any urgnet need to see what happened to Betty Briggs Jr. (Burnett) for example. If Shelley and Bobby and, especially, Big Ed, Hawk, Andy, and Lucy all show up, though, I'd really like that too, same with Betty Briggs Sr. and everyone else from the town - I just don't feel compelled to know more about them right now - but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see them.

I don't really want to see any of the completely new characters introduced in The Return again, except possibly Diane and Janey-E.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Re: General Twin Peaks Chat and/or What would you like to see if there's more Twin Peaks?

Post by hopesfall »

To be honest, not unlike in the original show's run, my main interests lie in the characters that are hardly mentioned in the Return, or weren't really in it at all. Like you mentioned, I'd like to know if Harry survived his ordeal, and if so, what he's up to now. Josie is a great shout. Her fate being literally sealed, within the walls of the Great Northern. I actually thought they were going to take that somewhere when the strange noises were eminating from the hotel, but alas, that was taken in an entirely different direction.

I agree wholeheartedly with Catherine. I've been re-watching episodes of the first two seasons recently, virtually at random, and I realised how much I absolutely love her now. In my youth, I didn't like her at all, then I appreciated her growth into a much warmer character (sort of) after the Mill fire. But now, I just really adore her on-screen presence throughout. She is a joy to watch, and Piper Laurie seems to really relish playing her, fitting the role like a glove. She acts in complete self-interest, to the point where I can't help but admire her.

I suppose from the main narrative arcs, Audrey is the one I'm most intrigued to find out about; what with her's being one of the most memorable scenes from the Return in my opinion. But The Return just made me yearn to get back into the cold yet comforting world of Twin Peaks again, warts and all, and although I find the metaphysical tale enthralling, I find that the show worked best for me when it was giving me a comforting hug rather than a gut-punch. But I think that was part of The Return's message.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: General Twin Peaks Chat and/or What would you like to see if there's more Twin Peaks?

Post by mtwentz »

If we get more Twin Peaks, I just want it to be great art. I will be up for whatever the creators feel their muse is telling them.

I think the ‘wanting’ of specific things led to so much disappointment in Season 3. It is best to go full in only wanting to see a good movie.

That being said, I would like to see more scenes like the Mauve Riom and most of Episode 8.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

This time, I would honestly have no expectations. Starting position.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Little to no expectations is a good way to go in, I agree with that. Having said that, I'd like to see it pick up directly with Coop and Laura (aka Richard and Carrie) and the more time that goes by, I'm not sure if they will be able to do that convincingly unless they already shot some follow-up scenes to this, which I think is unlikely (although we all did hear more was shot that night). And this is assuming that world even still exists and the lights going out at the end only happened in the house and it wasn't the whole world or that world imploding or whatever. But yeah, I'd really love to see it pick up with the two of them and see them driving to a version of the Great Northern and checking in and figuring out what to do. Maybe the next morning they walk over the walkway overlooking the falls and then start exploring the town, this new version of Twin Peaks with the same old characters and some new ones, and new versions of old characters. I suppose the overall mystery would be to defeat Judy and figure out where they are. I'm not sure Lynch would do a direct alternative-world style story, but I'd like to see something like this, one where Cooper also goes to rescue/help Audrey (and she ends up saving him instead), while also defeating Judy with Carrie/Laura. Then it slowly winds back to the Twin Peaks we knew, and maybe another mystery begins. I'd like to see them making good use of any of the cast who didn't get to be in The Return as well.

Overall, these are some of the things I'd like - neither a full return to the original series, or to the revival, but something that settles into its own groove, while also feeling like parts of both. Even though any continuation would technically be a fourth season, I think it would feel more like a third part overall, the concluding chapter of a trilogy, with both seasons of the original series being Part One, The Return being Part Two, etc., and if you throw in FWWM there's a prequel and then a trilogy, though I'm probably imagining too conventional a structure with that.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

it's hard to imagine going back to the town this far in without it feeling like a regression (at least going back to it any more than they did in s3). The scope of TP has gone a lot wider. Richard and Carrie and Odessaverse Twin Peaks would have some legs but would he even go back to that? He might consider Carrie's scream and the lights as being the end of that world. Obviously it's pointless trying to second guess Lynch but it feels more appropriate to go smaller and cheaper and more dreamy, depending on what cast and budget would be available. Messing around on soundstages with more time than you know what to do with feels like the perfect place for this to go (which means that we'll probably get the exact opposite, heheh).
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

The only way I could see them going back to the town the way it was without it feeling like a regression is if the next series takes place in some sort of alternative or in between version of Twin Peaks, a dreamland sort of place, but then the series sort of finds its way back to - or some of the characters "wake up" back in - a cozy version (or a cozier version - as the original wasn't all that cozy either!) of the original series almost as if it's metaphorically been rebuilt - sort of like the happy ending of Blue Velvet, but there could be a hint that darkness still exists. It might still feel like a regression, but a sort of purposeful one. Or I suppose they could just pick up with the town the way it was in The Return, which felt very different from the town in the original series - and not just that it was darker, it just felt different in tone and style in many ways.
mojo1976
Roadhouse Member

Post by mojo1976 »

I would love to see Catherine, Josie, Audrey, Maddy, Sarah, and Annie again; even if it's brief and doesn't impact the story much, if at all. I love Grace Zabriskie and wished she was in S3 more than she was, she's magnificent to watch. I've said it before, either here or on Reddit, that I would love to see Catherine and Josie sort of uncomfortably living together. Like Josie is taking care of Catherine in a "Baby Jane" type of way for some eventual payout or inheritance (that will never come). If the Odessaverse is gone, then Josie would be alive and free (as would Annie and Maddy). I would like James to have a happy ending too, he gets so much hate. In a new/different universe, he could meet Maddy again (for the first time) and maybe become a couple. I don't see either actress who played Donna coming back, so I think her story is finished. I think Annie deserves some closure in the show, S3 didn't resolve her arc and Frost's book, while fine, is only sort of 'canon'. Perhaps she and Shelly inherit the RR and run it together? I want to see Audrey again, but I have no clue where/who/when she is anymore. If it's all different now, maybe she runs the Great Northern. If it's an alternate universe, it's possible Johnny becomes the heir-apparent to the Horne empire. Most of all, I want Cooper and Laura: where are they? Can they ever be free?
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Jonah - I really like your idea of Audrey 'saving' Cooper somehow. His obvious attraction to Audrey is very much tied to the small town eccentricity which Cooper fits in with I felt. That was more or less absent in The Return somewhat due to a pervasive feeling of decline. I don't think returning to the town is regressive at all especially in the 'dreamy' sense you describe.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I would love if they went that route and used her partially as a catalyst to save him but have the narrative at first seem like he's trying to save her until it's reversed. Agreed that returning to the town wouldn't be a regression if they did it right. Even now, even after the arguably devastating ending of The Return (depending on how one interprets it) there is so much rich material left in that world. Add in the possibilities of exploring other worlds and other versions of the characters, such as Carrie and Richard, and the possibilities increase multi-fold again.