Alternative or additional storylines

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Alternative or additional storylines

Post by Jonah »

I created a thread before that was similar to this, about what the show might have looked like had it kept going for many seasons, but this thread is more about the storylines they could have used instead of some of the ones they did in Season 2 and the storylines they could have used in Season 3 and beyond.

So other than the Windom/Bad Cooper or Bob-possessing-people storylines, what direction could the show have gone in to make the second half of Season 2 and a potential Season 3 and beyond viable?

Or, assuming they had kept a lot of that stuff in, what else could they have done as well as that? And I know about some of the proposed ideas for a potential Season 3 - creamed corn planet, red-headed Laura - but this thread is more meant to discuss storylines you'd have liked to have seen them do or ideas you would have come with had you been writing the show and found yourself forced to fill 22 or more episodes after solving the Laura Palmer murder. Would you have had another murder mystery? Kept Windom in or ditched him? Continued on with Bob, the lodges, gone in another direction?

Can't wait to hear your ideas. I'll formulate some of mine and come back to this later.

Edit - I was reading the thread about the least favourite storylines
(link - http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 9&start=15)
and it got me thinking about this thread if we could just choose alternative storylines for each one to make that mid-season stretch of episodes in Season 2 more palatable as well as picking new storylines that might have been used in the rest of Season 2 or 3 or beyond? (Or storylines that could be used in the middle stretch and then carried forward for longer.)

These are the storylines we got in mid- (and some in late-) Season 2:
  • Little Nicky

James/Evelyn Marsh Storyline

Ben Horne Civil War

Audrey and John Wheeler

Nadine in High School

Packard/Eckhardt Battle

Josie as a maid

Leo as a vegetable

Donna and her true father

Donna and James season two

Milford/Lana

Windom Earle before his last stretch when he's still wearing his disguises and playing the flute (although I happen to like the stuff in the cabin with Leo) (adding this one they tried to add in the other thread but couldn't)

Miss Twin Peaks storyline (added this one too as it's mentioned in a comment on the other thread)
What storylines of the above would you keep (if any), what would you delete (I'm guessing most of them, and what would you replace them with?

(This thread is mainly about the original series but if there are storylines you'd like to add to The Return or have had in place of other storylines, feel free to mention them too.)
Last edited by Jonah on Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Re: Ideas for additional storylines for the original series

Post by Cappy »

Not a totally radical concept, but the show really could've milked Leland's death (and the revelation that he was the killer) for drama and story. Instead of jumping three days and barely having the other characters react, maybe linger in the trauma a bit.

The pilot episode was great, and it was mostly just people reacting to awful news. They could've done something similar in the wake of Leland's passing, but instead they did the mayor feuding with his brother over the girl from Teen Witch.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Ideas for additional storylines for the original series

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Considering Leland raped/molested/murdered his own daughter, quite a turnout for his wake... the mayor showing up et all.