What is Wisteria/Unrecorded Night?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

What is Wisteria/Unrecorded Night?

Twin Peaks Season 4
No votes
A Twin Peaks prequel set in the 1950's
14%
An original David Lynch show that may or may not incorporate some of his older, unproduced scripts and ideas but completely unrelated to Twin Peaks
43%
An original David Lynch show - but will use some characters or settings or elements of Twin Peaks (so sort of a spin-off) (and could also incorporate older, unproduced scripts and ideas)
33%
Some combination of the above
5%
A series about Marilyn Monroe
No votes
Something else (specify in comments)
No votes
Something else (but I have no idea what)
5%

Total votes: 21
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: What is Wisteria/Unrecorded Night?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Histeria wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:47 am Seemed to have a slight edge, to me.

Like there was some history to it. If he was asked that about What Did Jack Do I bet he wouldn't be as cutting in his response.
The “Period.” is what did it for me. Like he really does not want to be asked about it again. Not that I necessarily think there’s animosity there, but I definitely don’t think he’s involved at all, and doesn’t want to spend the next two years of his life living in the shadow of a Lynch project he has nothing to do with.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

johndaker wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:44 am I think it's entirely possible that Lynch might want to make something new that's TP-adjacent, set in the same fictional universe, but distant enough that Frost doesn't feel the need to be involved, or simply isn't interested in being involved.
Well said - and agreed.

Regarding the rest of your post, remind me - which characters from It were connected to The Shining or Doctor Sleep?
Last edited by Jonah on Fri May 28, 2021 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
johndaker
Roadhouse Member

Post by johndaker »

Like there was some history to it. If he was asked that about What Did Jack Do I bet he wouldn't be as cutting in his response.
Not cutting, not quite curt ("rudely brief")—just emphatic and short. It read to me too as though there was a history, though it's anyone's guess as to what that history could be. It could be just some mild annoyance that DKL chose to put TP on the back burner and do something unrelated first, or indeed it could be nothing at all, just a hastily fired-off once-and-for-all denial of involvement.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

yeah, I would think that if Lynch is making Unrecorded Night for Netflix for 13 eps, he probably would have the courtesy to tell Frost he cant work on TP S4 for the next 18 months at least cause he's doing this other thing, so makes sense to me he'd be aware of it.

I would agree it's possible it's TP adjacent, if it has one or two characters maybe from The Return and narratively more similar to Inland Empire, which probably isn't MF's cup of tea.

I dont think it's a full-out prequel of the 50's, 13 eps of Jerry/Ben , Trumans as kids... I just dont think DL would do that without Frost.

And I really disagree that Frost unconditionally hates the past, and is opposed to prequels. He literally spent years of his life writing The List of 7/ The 6 Messiahs which is a prequel/origin story of Sherlock Holmes. Even has Bram Stoker origin story in there.

He being more interested in resolving the TV show cliffhanger was just where he was at in that particular moment in 1991 when Lynch got the Ciby deal, and he was busy with Storyville also.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

johndaker wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:55 am

Not cutting, not quite curt ("rudely brief")—just emphatic and short. It read to me too as though there was a history, though it's anyone's guess as to what that history could be. It could be just some mild annoyance that DKL chose to put TP on the back burner and do something unrelated first, or indeed it could be nothing at all, just a hastily fired-off once-and-for-all denial of involvement.
I read it as him just being tired of being regarded as Lynch’s sidekick first and foremost. It must be exhausting to be constantly asked about the guy you very occasionally work with every time he makes the news or has a new project.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

There's an option missing: "A Collective Mirage".
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Agent Earle wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:51 am There's an option missing: "A Collective Mirage".
possible...
johndaker
Roadhouse Member

Post by johndaker »

Agent Earle wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:51 am There's an option missing: "A Collective Mirage".
There are a lot of signs indicating that something is happening. So I think that's the least likely possibility of all—far below "something on which the plug was / will be pulled."
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I do sometimes wonder if this is a pitch that never got off the ground, and the 85 mill was an estimate in spreadsheet budget breakdown maybe, as part of a proposal for pitch meetings.

it seems Lynch never actually copyrighted Antelope Don't Run no More, Dream of the Bovine, One Saliva Bubble judging by copyright database... but he did with this, so that gives me some hope. but then that also could be Sabrina keeping things more organized and tidy than he had been in the past...
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I've had similar thoughts, but I wonder if he actually wrote all 13 episodes that are copyrighted? Seems like a lot for him to write ahead of time unless there had been a pick up after he'd written a pilot episode first. Or if he's just copyrighted treatments or a proposed number of episodes.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

maybe they are like the Eraserhead script and a few pages each. It's possible Sabrina wanted him to get as much down on paper as possible so she could come up with an accurate budget when they pitched it to Netflix.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

johndaker wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:56 am
There are a lot of signs indicating that something is happening. So I think that's the least likely possibility of all—far below "something on which the plug was / will be pulled."
I agree this is a likelier possibility although I sure hope it's not true. Fingers crossed.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

At what point should we just stop speculating and wait for an announcement? And when would one likely be made - before, during, or after production? I know IE wasn't announced for a long time, but that seems like an atypical example.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:48 pm At what point should we just stop speculating and wait for an announcement?
Like three weeks ago. :mrgreen:
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I think there was no formal announcement of El Camino until the trailer.

they tried to keep it top secret, I think they put Better Call Saul on some shooting permits, used crew and relatives as extras, they put Bryan Cranston on a private flight and hid him in a rental house somewhere, but I think it was sorta known that a Jessie Pinkman movie was being made.

TP Return was announced a year before filming. It may seem like a bad decision in hindsight because of the leaks/periscope/TMZ, but then again, Lynch was able to use his celebrity to 'negotiate in public' to get a better deal on the budget.