What is Wisteria/Unrecorded Night?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Twin Peaks Season 4
No votes
A Twin Peaks prequel set in the 1950's
14%
An original David Lynch show that may or may not incorporate some of his older, unproduced scripts and ideas but completely unrelated to Twin Peaks
43%
An original David Lynch show - but will use some characters or settings or elements of Twin Peaks (so sort of a spin-off) (and could also incorporate older, unproduced scripts and ideas)
33%
Some combination of the above
5%
A series about Marilyn Monroe
No votes
Something else (specify in comments)
No votes
Something else (but I have no idea what)
5%

Total votes: 21
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Thought it was time for another poll to see where everyone's at.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: What is Wisteria/Unrecorded Night?

Post by Jonah »

So far, most people are voting for a new original show - which a lot of the stuff we've seen and heard does point to but it begs the question, why is TP Productions associated with it then?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

47% think there's at least some connection to Twin Peaks.

53% think there's no connection at all.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Oh, I see people are voting for the prequel option.

Interesting that so far no one thinks it's a Season 4.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Personally, I don't really see a distinction between "Twin Peaks Season Four" and "A fourth season of television set in the world of Twin Peaks."

It is a valid distinction for this poll, because it's good to know if people think it'll be a linear continuation or a prequel.

Otherwise, when I say "Season Four" I just mean "more Twin Peaks in some capacity." If this is actually a prequel there's going to be so many "in the know" on twitter that have been replying to everyone telling them Wisteria isn't Twin Peaks who will row back and say:

"See! I told you Unrecorded Night isn't Twin Peaks Season Four. It might feature Dale Cooper and Laura Palmer and The Fireman and The Woodsmen and the town of Twin Peaks and Judy and Blue Rose, but it's not called 'Twin Peaks' so I was right."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'm not crazy about the idea of a prequel or something set in the 1950's, but if it continues the characters of Cooper, Laura, and Audrey in some way (and/or their counterparts) then I'll be more down with it.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

In case anyone hasn't seen the older polls and wants to compare results, here are the links:

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4238

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4241
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

based on these, its not Twin Peaks or an all out Twin Peaks 1950's prequel. The idea of Lynch on his own writing about the Horne Brothers childhoods in the 50's is not realistic I don't think. He'd really need Frost for stuff like that.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 5.00.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 5.00.05 PM.png (111.35 KiB) Viewed 5862 times
Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 5.01.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 5.01.19 PM.png (110.07 KiB) Viewed 5862 times
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Lynch was the one that wanted to go back to the past two two films while Frost insisted on making sequels.

Not sure it follows that the tweets prevent the possibility of this being set in the "past". I don't even think it will be that neat anyway. Could easily see each 'episode' being quasi self-contained.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Frost was the one who wrote a Twin Peaks book full of history and incidents in the past.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Frost identifies himself as "Co Creator of Twin Peaks" and posts a link related to Twin Peaks every few days on Twitter. He very proud of it, its a big thing in his life, Doesnt add up to me Unrecorded Night is secretly Twin Peaks and Frost sent tweets this insistent.

The only evidence of TP involvement is Twin Peaks Productions in the Production Weekly stuff, which is already appears not iron clad in like 10 ways, shooting in May, Cori Glazer, etc.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:07 am Frost identifies himself as "Co Creator of Twin Peaks" and posts a link related to Twin Peaks every few days on Twitter. He very proud of it, its a big thing in his life, Doesnt add up to me Unrecorded Night is secretly Twin Peaks and Frost sent tweets this insistent.

The only evidence of TP involvement is Twin Peaks Productions in the Production Weekly stuff, which is already appears not iron clad in like 10 ways, shooting in May, Cori Glazer, etc.
But remember Frost's name has also been removed from TP Productions filing. Even if it's only due to licensing reasons, it's still very odd that it's completely gone and Lynch has been filled in in every role, you'd think Frost would insist his name was on there somewhere even if Sabrina is handling all that stuff.
johndaker
Roadhouse Member

Post by johndaker »

I think it's entirely possible that Lynch might want to make something new that's TP-adjacent, set in the same fictional universe, but distant enough that Frost doesn't feel the need to be involved, or simply isn't interested in being involved.

I'm thinking of an analogy using Stephen King novels. If TP seasons 1&2 are like The Shining, and TP season 3 is like Doctor Sleep (a direct sequel set much later, featuring some of the main characters and locations of the original, that nonetheless does something quite different and unexpected) then I can imagine Lynch at some point wanting to make It (not a sequel or prequel to The Shining but set in the same universe, with at least one character appearing in both works) or even The Dark Tower (not a sequel but set in the same universe and retroactively revealing that other works by the same author also share that universe).

The "parting of ways"/"falling out" hypothesis also does not appear implausible to me.

And I'd also add that while it's certainly possible Frost knew nothing about an upcoming Lynch series when he sent those tweets, they read to me like the responses of someone who does already have some awareness of the topic. Something like "I don't know anything about that" seems a more natural response if he, indeed, didn't know anything about it.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:07 am
The use of the TPP production company in the PW listing, as opposed to say Absurda, is the main/only thing that makes me wonder if this might be Peaks. But as you say, that could be inaccurate, and in any event, I’m not sure we can read too much into (potentially arbitrary) decisions about which of his production companies Lynch chooses to use.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Fri May 28, 2021 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Seemed to have a slight edge, to me.

Like there was some history to it. If he was asked that about What Did Jack Do I bet he wouldn't be as cutting in his response.