What is Wisteria/Unrecorded Night?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

What is Wisteria/Unrecorded Night?

Twin Peaks Season 4
No votes
A Twin Peaks prequel set in the 1950's
14%
An original David Lynch show that may or may not incorporate some of his older, unproduced scripts and ideas but completely unrelated to Twin Peaks
43%
An original David Lynch show - but will use some characters or settings or elements of Twin Peaks (so sort of a spin-off) (and could also incorporate older, unproduced scripts and ideas)
33%
Some combination of the above
5%
A series about Marilyn Monroe
No votes
Something else (specify in comments)
No votes
Something else (but I have no idea what)
5%

Total votes: 21
Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: What is Wisteria/Unrecorded Night?

Post by Jonah »

I'm not sure if they'd be able to keep it secret up until release, as there isn't another show they can hide it behind like in that case? But they could be shooting it now for all we know and attempting to keep it secret as long as possible.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I just think that would be pretty tough unless the scope/scale of this thing is way less intense than we think. El Camino was high profile but it was also a relatively narrow in scope, as a 2 hour movie vs. a potentially 25 hour long, 13 episode thing with "200 shooting days" supposedly. That's a lot of filming to keep buttoned down, unless it's very down and dirty, IE style in lots of fits and starts and with a very minimal crew. But even then, like I've said before, IE was shot in secret well before the Twitter/IG era so who knows if there wouldn't be the occasional candid shot posted here and there if social media was a thing then, even if it wasn't officially announced.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

if it is shooting now, Peter Deming not involved, he keeps posting NYC stuff on instagram.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

There's no way principle photography has started yet but I suspect they've been doing lots of 2nd Unit stuff.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Re IE - I seem to remember seeing photos of Lynch shooting the Hollywood Boulevard stuff on message boards when it was shooting.

There was a period there where he wasn't sure what he was making before the announcement also, there was an Axxon N phase where he thought he was just making web content etc
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:11 pm he keeps posting NYC stuff on instagram
That's part of the ruse!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

It's also possible that the PW crew/leaked info is wildly out of date, based on very early pre-production info that's since changed. Pandemic delays might've really screwed up plans for specific cast/crew involvement and they've had to pivot (i.e. maybe Deming was supposed to DP and he isn't anymore, etc.) That said, I do agree that filming most likely hasn't begun, unless you maybe count screen tests or something.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

its possible the guy on reddit who works in whatever office leaked the pitch stuff he saw to PW maybe I dunno. and if it is a pending pitch that got leaked, and not yet greenlit, maybe awkward, and best for all parties to just ignore it and not comment.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I have no idea if it's begun shooting. I would say unlikely, but I do feel they will try to keep it quiet for as long as possible whenever it starts shooting, especially if it's a 200-day shoot it gives them some time until leaks confirm it's shooting, by which point they might be hoping to be well underway. But for all I know they could announce it well ahead of time. Just have a feeling they will try to keep it quiet initially.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I think they will announce on Day 1 of principle. Or at least within a day or so of it.

But the fact it's so secretive points to there being a secret to keep.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

They filmed the final scene of The Return and let everyone watch though so it's hard to read them lol. Sure, it was out of context, but it was still a pretty huge spoiler to see Laura Palmer alive and being led up to her house by Agent Cooper.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Has anyone commented on that? They were so secretive that casting was done through fake companies and fake film descriptions and fake names on the NDA. Barely anyone read the entire script and acting instructions where whispered in actors' ears to prevent the rest of the cast/crew from hearing.

Lynch didn't even let Showtime produce proper trailers consisting of completed and context-free footage.

And then the biggest spoiler of all is signposted for everyone to see.

As Gordon would so eloquently say: "What the hell?!?"
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

its really hard to contain stuff with open residential neighborhoods like that. homeowners own their property and they have rights, they get really testy when film crews tell them they cant park or walk on their own street or lawn.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

i told a PA to fuck off once on some film shoot when they told me i couldnt go home , street is closed, because of some scene they were shooting, and i was like, im not sleeping on the street for your movie,
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Fair enough but they surely could have done more than that. There's a film somewhere discussing how they'd go door-to-door paying off neighbours for FWWM for privacy.

And that was before memes and Internet virality.

I wasn't suggesting they put bouncers outside people's doors. Perhaps there really was nothing else they could have done.