What is Wisteria/Unrecorded Night?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

What is Wisteria/Unrecorded Night?

Twin Peaks Season 4
No votes
A Twin Peaks prequel set in the 1950's
14%
An original David Lynch show that may or may not incorporate some of his older, unproduced scripts and ideas but completely unrelated to Twin Peaks
43%
An original David Lynch show - but will use some characters or settings or elements of Twin Peaks (so sort of a spin-off) (and could also incorporate older, unproduced scripts and ideas)
33%
Some combination of the above
5%
A series about Marilyn Monroe
No votes
Something else (specify in comments)
No votes
Something else (but I have no idea what)
5%

Total votes: 21
Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: What is Wisteria/Unrecorded Night?

Post by Jonah »

From what I've heard Lynch seem pretty unconcerned that night, but how true that is I don't know. I'm not sure if they could have enforced more privacy given it was a residential area? But I'm not sure. Maybe they could have tried harder but he/they thought as it was out of context and the show was known for being offbeat, people wouldn't be able to tell what it was and might figure it was a dream sequence or Lee was playing another character (which she was - sort of anyway!).

But it did turn out to be the final scene of the series! Even before that was known it was a pretty big deal as it did seem to reveal that the character or some version of her or some character played by Lee that was probably related to Laura given the house they were filming at was alive and it caused quite a stir on here at the time though. I remember thinking the premise of the show would be that the iconic dead 90's TV character would (somehow) be revealed to be alive and that revelation would shake up the town. Still love that idea.
Last edited by Jonah on Fri May 28, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:48 pm i told a PA to fuck off once on some film shoot when they told me i couldnt go home , street is closed, because of some scene they were shooting, and i was like, im not sleeping on the street for your movie,
What was the movie?
Histeria wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:50 pm Fair enough but they surely could have done more than that. There's a film somewhere discussing how they'd go door-to-door paying off neighbours for FWWM for privacy.

And that was before memes and Internet virality.

I wasn't suggesting they put bouncers outside people's doors. Perhaps there really was nothing else they could have done.
That was because it was pre-internet, pre-smartphone. Much easier to contain in 1991/1992 I'd say. Now someone could stand a street over and zoom in and film everything - and indeed that was some of the footage that night. They might have been able to try harder to keep it under wraps, I'm not sure, but it had leaked out because they had to alert the neighbourhood to the scream so that was all known too. And it's pretty hard to stop people from a couple of streets over filming even if you bribed neighbours or came to some other deal, especially once the announcement of the filming (which may have had to be posted publicly) was released online. The scene required both actors to walk up to the house so it's kind of hard to contain that. Maybe they could have tried to shoot some of it on a soundstage. I don't know. They did manage to keep the placement of the scene a secret and the revelation of who opened the door (I think we knew it was the homeowner but assumed that would be changed in post-production to be Sarah).
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Histeria wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:42 pm Has anyone commented on that? They were so secretive that casting was done through fake companies and fake film descriptions and fake names on the NDA. Barely anyone read the entire script and acting instructions where whispered in actors' ears to prevent the rest of the cast/crew from hearing.

Lynch didn't even let Showtime produce proper trailers consisting of completed and context-free footage.

And then the biggest spoiler of all is signposted for everyone to see.

As Gordon would so eloquently say: "What the hell?!?"
No one of importance has commented, but Mr. Reindeer and I have speculated on these boards that since Lynch was somewhat laissez-faire and had to have known it would leak, it functioned as another form of subversion in a work that was all about subversion and expectations. His reveal of Laura in the flesh sent many people down certain paths of speculation as to what the story would be about, which they might not otherwise have thought, which further colored their expectations and led them astray. (ETA: See Jonah's reveal of how it created expectations of a premise.) That it was the final, perhaps most important scene is just incredibly rich and, given the narrative's tortuous and torturous way of getting there, ultimately subversive.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

That night sure wasn't an unrecorded one!
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

it was kinda weird how loud David Nevins and showtime ppl announced the actual location shooting in WA. I remember he was saying the donut trucks were loaded for september or something.
Dougie Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dougie Cooper »

It all about the missing Page.

Not about the bunny.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

I recall watching that night of shooting live on periscope. Little did I know what it would turn out to be. I recall there being some rampant discussion about a small figure that you see move close to some bushes at one point. Everyone convinced it was done sort of Lodge figure. Probably just a camera at the end of the day.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*