How would a Twin Peaks movie in 1992 have fared if it was a direct sequel Instead of a prequel?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Re: How would a Twin Peaks movie in 1992 have fared if it was a direct sequel Instead of a prequel?

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Jonah, about the recreation of Cooper in his room for FWWM, they used the set left from the tv show.

The mention of more films to come was out there in promo for FWWM when it was announced so it was a definite deal made with CIBY 2000, for more Twin Peaks films. Presumably the contract was changed after FWWM performed poorly in the US. It had done really well though in Japan, performed well in France. Its kind of hard to imagine how they thought it would be a success in the States.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: How would a Twin Peaks movie in 1992 have fared if it was a direct sequel Instead of a prequel?

Post by Jonah »

I don't think they used that set. If you look closely, the stuff on the wall behind the bed is different - I posted this somewhere on here a long time ago when I compared the sets, can't remember exact details now, but I think there were a few differences. Of course maybe it was the same set but they redressed it a bit, but pretty sure that warehouse was closed down and they recreated it somewhere (maybe Washington?) or else looked it out and redressed it. Either way they would have had to essentially recreate it, either from scratch or they redressed it. I believe the wall hangings, the back of the bed, some of the lamps were different. Someone else here might know more about it?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I think one difference between a sequel in 1992 and 2017 is the internet/streaming / DVD/ blu ray to catch up.

I was always getting lost and confused in the 90's with 'continuing stories', I remember the dominion war on Star Trek: Deep Space 9, whenever I tuned in, I was lost with what was what. After I missed a few episodes of Melrose Place, and tried to pick it up again, they were referring to all kinds of stuff I missed, and I bailed. The X Files was sorta intriguing for a hot moment with the alien conspiracy, but I couldn't keep up with it every sunday, and setting up VHS machines to record was effort.

By August 28th, 1992, I think the only Twin Peaks out there you could rent or buy on VHS, was the pilot with the european ending. I don't know if the VHS season 1 box set was even out yet, and if it was, wouldn't have had the bad Cooper ending, and Bravo wasn't showing re-runs until 1993. So in order to understand a bad cooper sequel movie without re-runs being available by end of summer of 92, woulda been a small market of people who were into it. The who killed Laura Palmer hook was at least sorta still in public conciousness. but barely. Honeymoon in Vegas was where people were at.

I remember 1992 was an interesting summer. Alien 3 had misfired. Unforgiven was surprising, Clint Eastwood had been making a lot of bombs like Pink Cadillac at that time, and I was surprised that an Eastwood western got traction.

I thought the posters for the Return mighta been a little misleading that the Laura Palmer case was being re-opened, some mainstream viewers I know who weren't Lynch addicts, thought maybe it was gonna be a True Detective style cold case thing, where Cooper comes in and realizes the conclusions were wrong, or a copycat killer or something. I think the DVD set was a little closer to a better marketing strategy. But it was clearly an avant garde show and wouldn't have appealed to many people no matter how it was advertised probably.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:48 pm I don't think they used that set. If you look closely, the stuff on the wall behind the bed is different - I posted this somewhere on here a long time ago when I compared the sets, can't remember exact details now, but I think there were a few differences. Of course maybe it was the same set but they redressed it a bit, but pretty sure that warehouse was closed down and they recreated it somewhere (maybe Washington?) or else looked it out and redressed it. Either way they would have had to essentially recreate it, either from scratch or they redressed it. I believe the wall hangings, the back of the bed, some of the lamps were different. Someone else here might know more about it?
Actually, the warehouse was still around for FWWM. They filmed some stuff for the movie there (like Laura’s room): https://www.twinpeaksblog.com/2019/09/0 ... er-1-1991/

FWWM geared up so soon after the show ended, I bet they hadn’t struck all the sets yet (especially since Lynch knew he’d be shooting that scene in the hotel room). I bet they also shot On the Air in that warehouse, so they probably kept control of it.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Oh cool, I didn't know that. I'll try to find that old post I made comparing the differences. I may even have included screenshots, can't remember. If I can't find it, maybe I'll take a screen grab of both shots and post them here. They may still have had the sets and used them - but if so they definitely didn't redress them exactly as there were some differences. I suppose it doesn't make much difference if they rebuilt them from scratch or redressed the old set - what's important is Lynch did want to recreate that scene for some reason, despite only extending it very very slightly.
Last edited by Jonah on Tue May 25, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:48 pm
I thought the posters for the Return mighta been a little misleading that the Laura Palmer case was being re-opened, some mainstream viewers I know who weren't Lynch addicts, thought maybe it was gonna be a True Detective style cold case thing, where Cooper comes in and realizes the conclusions were wrong, or a copycat killer or something. I think the DVD set was a little closer to a better marketing strategy. But it was clearly an avant garde show and wouldn't have appealed to many people no matter how it was advertised probably.
I don't disagree with any of that, although I hadn't realized people would think in terms of a True Detective/reopening the case as it never gave me that vibe...and still doesn't now that I've seen the series, which it fits perfectly and does basically reopen the case in a cosmic sense, but I get it now that you say it. Still, just to be clear, whether the marketing was good or bad or misleading doesn't really matter because it was marketed in terms of secrecy above all else. Lynch had a vision to send us in cold, and that's what was accomplished, and part of why the series was so effectively shocking. All we ever talked about regarding the marketing just before it aired and then while it aired was how nothing was being given away, and how Lynch seems to have tied Showtime's hands so that they couldn't properly market the show. I'm so grateful it was marketed the way it was, as that was part of the experience and intention.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:10 pm Oh cool, I didn't know that. I'll try to find that old post I made comparing the differences. I may even have included screenshots, can't remember. If I can't find it, maybe I'll take a screengrab of both shots and post them here. They may still have had the sets and used them - but if so they definitely didn't redress them exactly as there were some differences. I suppose it doesn't make much difference if they rebuild them from scratch or redressed the old set - what's important is Lynch did want to recreate those scenes for some reason, despite only extending the scene itself very very slightly.
The movie also had a different production designer from the show, so perhaps Patty Norris wanted to change the set up a bit to reflect her sensibilities (similarly to how Coop’s clothes in the Red Room don’t match what he was wearing in E29).
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I found the old posts - sort of. Except they weren't about Episode 29 vs FWWM, but the European endinfg to the PIlot vs Episode 29. So will be interested to check out all three shots and see how different they all are. Maybe E29 and FWWM are exact (if I was remembering the pilot differences only), but I still think there were differences.

Anyway, here's the old posts. I remembered the thing on the wall behind Cooper's bed was a gun and searched through my posts for "gun", and found these two (essentially the same post In two different threads) :

There was a lot of talk earlier in this thread about Room 316 and what it will look like when we see it again. I just rewatched the European ending to the pilot and - We see Room 316 in it! I'd forgotten this. Our first proper time seeing Coop's room is Episode 1, Season 1 - on a different set I think? One that was built for the series? The one here looks a bit different. It's the same idea but the gun over the bed is at a different angle, its affixed to something different, and there's no lamps on the wall. The wooden headboard looks different too. And the bedside lamp is not the same. Wondering if this was an actual room in the Salish Lodge, circa 1989/1990 - or if they built this on a set, as most of the Pilot was shot on location. These sets weren't used or built until the series itself.
(http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... un#p87688-

We see Room 315! I'd forgotten this. Our first proper time seeing Coop's room is Episode 1, Season 1 - on a different set I think? One that was built for the series? The one here looks a bit different. It's the same idea but the gun over the bed is at a different angle, its affixed to something different, and there's no lamps on the wall. The wooden headboard looks different too. And the bedside lamp is not the same. Wondering if this was an actual room in the Salish Lodge, circa 1989/1990 - or if they built this on a set, as most of the Pilot was shot on location. These sets weren't used or built until the series itself. This is interesting especially since all the recent talk of Room 315 - and how it will look - in the new series!
(http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... un#p87683_

(Will try to get screen grabs and post them at some stage.)

Off topic, but does anyone know were those scenes for the European ending to the pilot filmed on a set in LA or in Washington? I'm guessing the latter if the red room was first created there. (Something else I haven't seen discussed much - how much of the pilot was filmed on sets?)
Last edited by Jonah on Tue May 25, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Aren’t you referring to the Pilot there? I thought we were discussing FWWM/TMP.

The “European ending” definitely uses a different set. I think all that stuff was shot on stages in CA (the hospital basement I believe was a practical location also in CA). I don’t believe Lynch conceived of that sequence until after the Washington shoot had ended.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:32 pm Aren’t you referring to the Pilot there? I thought we were discussing FWWM/TMP.
Yep, just figured that out and re-edited the post lol. (It's getting very late here and I'm tired.) I'll have to get some screenshots of all three scenes and compare them, as that room was rebuilt/redressed at least three times. I remember being very excited about what it would look like in The Return but, alas, we never saw it. Darn crazy key to the boiler room!
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:32 pm Aren’t you referring to the Pilot there? I thought we were discussing FWWM/TMP.

The “European ending” definitely uses a different set. I think all that stuff was shot on stages in CA (the hospital basement I believe was a practical location also in CA). I don’t believe Lynch conceived of that sequence until after the Washington shoot had ended.
I remember seeing an interview with Al Strobel - where he said after he shot the elevator stuff up in WA for the pilot, Lynch told him he might need him again in the next couple of days, so I thought maybe the basement stuff was tagged on to the WA shoot. but people are giving these interviews decades later, and he mighta been called to come down to LA to do it.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

LateReg wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:17 pm
JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:48 pm
All we ever talked about regarding the marketing just before it aired and then while it aired was how nothing was being given away, and how Lynch seems to have tied Showtime's hands so that they couldn't properly market the show. I'm so grateful it was marketed the way it was, as that was part of the experience and intention.
I think there might have been intriguing ways to market/advertise the avant garde direction Lynch went in without spoiling it or giving anything away, if Bad Cooper too spoilery, an image of the glass box or something, that woulda captured the heart and spirit of the Return better than the stock Laura Palmer homecoming queen image and Cooper looking like it was back to normal mainstream show.

apart from Kyle looking a bit older, the posters looked almost looked like advertisements for re-runs.
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

perfect movie

(woops)
Last edited by mtl on Tue May 25, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:17 pm
I think there might have been intriguing ways to market/advertise the avant garde direction Lynch went in without spoiling it or giving anything away, if Bad Cooper too spoilery, an image of the glass box or something, that woulda captured the heart and spirit of the Return better than the stock Laura Palmer homecoming queen image and Cooper looking like it was back to normal mainstream show.

apart from Kyle looking a bit older, the posters looked almost looked like advertisements for re-runs.
Eh, I mean this is a pointless debate because I totally get where you're coming from. But the very notion that the posters displayed the two icons of the show, promising a return to what we know and love, was entirely the point, imo. I think you're just coming at it from a marketing perspective whereas I'm coming at it as part of the art itself.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I didn't mean to derail the thread from the theoretical possibility of a Bad Cooper sequel movie in 1992.

I just tagged it on as a thought that occurred to me. Had there been a Bad Cooper movie rather than FWWM, it mighta marketed it the same way with generic images, I dunno.

We're all here, so the marketing for Lynch projects I guess isnt all that bad.