How would a Twin Peaks movie in 1992 have fared if it was a direct sequel Instead of a prequel?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: How would a Twin Peaks movie in 1992 have fared if it was a direct sequel Instead of a prequel?

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Yeah, I agree. DS9 had such an ensemble of great characters, that they could do like a Quark-centric episode here and there.

I remember seeing one episode during the X files Robert Patrick era and Duchovny guested on it, I was completely and totally lost.

the cigarette smoking man had a mysterious allure, and I remember wondering what all the old people were colluding with aliens for, but
it was so milked, and then stand alones that felt like filler half the time.
and I remember thinking, should I really setup my VHS to record this, and I was like, nah.. just gonna move on with my life and not watch this
anymore.

I havent re-visited X Files like I have with DS9.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Re: How would a Twin Peaks movie in 1992 have fared if it was a direct sequel Instead of a prequel?

Post by Cappy »

Were this sequel to exist in 1992/3... it might need to be about more than just "Coop is possessed, lets save Coop" to be compelling.

I liked what we got in 2017 -- it wasn't so much about saving Cooper as sort of Cooper's personality getting nuked and him having to re-learn how to function in the world, plus Mr. C and Richard as dark mirrors of his soul.

I'd be worried that a film sequel in the 90s wouldn't have any of that, and also reduce Laura Palmer to a pretty visage that gives the hero clues.

But on the plus side, maybe we would've gotten that fabled scene where Sheriff Truman crashes his truck into the Black Lodge. I'm sure Lynch could have made a sequel in the 90s work, I just can't easily picture what form it would take.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

my hunch is DL himself tried, but couldn't quite figure out an angle for a sequel in 1991 that he was confident about, but planted the seed with putting Cooper in Laura's dairy to give himself a "start" for one, as Buster Keaton would say.

only a few months after FWWM, he made Hotel Room Tricks - which although scripted by Gifford, does really get into self loathing and dramatizes the notion of an ego centric shadow Id arguing with and confronting the public visage.

so in some senses, it felt like he was continuing where he left off with TP ep 29, if not in a literal sense, but thematically.

he seemed to think cinematically maybe the best way for him to continue those ideas were in having multiple actors playing the different aspects of one personality... I'm glad he went the route he did. I enjoy the episodes of Star Trek where Shatner plays two Kirks, and one frames the other etc, but it's a bit basic.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:50 pm Yeah, I agree. DS9 had such an ensemble of great characters, that they could do like a Quark-centric episode here and there.

I remember seeing one episode during the X files Robert Patrick era and Duchovny guested on it, I was completely and totally lost.

the cigarette smoking man had a mysterious allure, and I remember wondering what all the old people were colluding with aliens for, but
it was so milked, and then stand alones that felt like filler half the time.
and I remember thinking, should I really setup my VHS to record this, and I was like, nah.. just gonna move on with my life and not watch this
anymore.

I havent re-visited X Files like I have with DS9.
Yeah, whenever I re-visit X-Files I just watch the standalone eps. There's a ton of good "monster of the week" episodes between seasons 1 and 6.

The myths eps are just so overloaded with plot and characters -- which in a way I can appreciate, as confining all that to the myth eps really frees the standalone episodes to do their own thing. I can accept the myth eps being horrible after season 3 or so if it means we get classics like "Bad Blood", "Syzygy", "Squeeze", "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose", "Detour", "Beyond the Sea", "Paper Hearts", "Pusher", "Irresistible", "Post-Modern Prometheus", "Home", and a bunch of others.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

I've seen The X-Files once all the way through around five years ago and intend to do a rewatch sometime soonish. But on one viewing, I actually loved all the mythology episodes up to mid-Season 6. Even while bingeing, they felt like exciting events. Curious to see if that remains the case on a rewatch, but one thing for sure is that the best standalone episodes will hold up.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Yeah it's weird how opinions and tastes change over the years -- I used to love to myth episodes and view the bulk of stand-alones as filler, but now I kind of feel the opposite.

I'll always love "Duane Barry"/"Ascension" though. Those were probably the eps that initially made me a fan.

Strangely enough, I always hated the resolution to the Samantha mystery in season 7, but I don't know, maybe quarantine has warped my tastes but I've come to appreciate "Closure" as a satisfying conclusion to Mulder's personal arc. Even if it does contradict a lot of the stuff that came before it, lol.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Jonah wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:49 am I wonder if the rumours about a Twin Peaks trilogy are true (or if it was just a three-picture deal), but I do wonder if Lynch was planning to make more TP movies and if the next one would have continued the story from that point.
Rumors look to be true although Frank Silva would take the truth to his grave. From Fangoria #117:
D1DEEF9A-E829-4FEF-AB82-8B1E0CE317A0.jpeg
D1DEEF9A-E829-4FEF-AB82-8B1E0CE317A0.jpeg (84.69 KiB) Viewed 4233 times
dugpa
Site Admin

Re: How would a Twin Peaks movie in 1992 have fared if it was a direct sequel Instead of a prequel

Post by dugpa »

Also from Alt.tv.twin-peaks in 1992 premiere in Mlps:

https://www.alttvtwinpeaks.com/fwwm/19 ... ig)-144223
Third, in regard to my last comment, Robert Engels said that there will be
another movie and that it will be post-series -- ASSUMING that FWWM does well
enough. He said that it has already pulled a profit in Japan (i.e. they no
longer have to worry about breaking even), but he hedged a little bit on saying
anything for certain (understandably). He acknowledged that there were a lot
of loose ends still (which got a bit of a laugh from the audience), and he
speculated a little bit about the next movie. Again, it sounded like it was
very much grounded in what cast members were available -- He said that they HAD
to try to get one of the four people who knew what was going on: Cooper,
Windham Earle (or however you spell his name), Major Briggs, or .. somebody
else. Sorry, folks.. I've forgotten. Anyway, the point is this: it really
matters more who has time to make a movie than what David Lynch WANTS to do.
He hoped that they would be able to do something with David Bowie's character,
although the way he mentioned it, it sounded like it would be kind of a last
resort if all of the people that they want fall through. It sounds like Cooper
will NOT be doing the sequel (which has an estimated time of commencement in a
couple of years -- Robert & David will be doing some other project next, and
they don't plan to thing about the next TP movie until that project is out of
the way). What Robert Engels said was that Kyle did not want to become another
"James T. Kirk" -- which he quickly pointed out DIDN'T happen to every actor,
and gave another example which was lost in the recesses of my memory soon
afterwards, but it was convincing enough anyway.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: How would a Twin Peaks movie in 1992 have fared if it was a direct sequel Instead of a prequel

Post by Jasper »

dugpa wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:59 pm Also from Alt.tv.twin-peaks in 1992 premiere in Mlps:
This information is quite fascinating! I've tended to lean towards believing that there truly was the intention, or at least the notion, of making additional films.

What's really something to think about is the possibility of a film focusing upon Phillip Jeffries. That could have been truly amazing, as Bowie's appearance in FWWM is one of the most electrifying things in all of Twin Peaks. Of all of the possible consolations for the lamentable situation of a Twin Peaks film with no Kyle MacLachlan, that might have been the most consoling.