Peaks Fans Top 15 Movies

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Re: Peaks Fans Top 15 Movies

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

Mindwalk(Capra '90)
Vale Abraão (Oliveira '93)
Tree of Life extended cut (Malick ''18)
Prospero's Books (Greenaway ''91)
The Garden (Jarman '90)
The Blood Oranges (Haas '97)
Querelle (Fassbinder '82)
Talk Radio (Stone '88)
Sorcerer (Friedkin '77)
Dune (Lynch '84)
Francesco (Cavani '89)
Liebestraum (Figgis '91)
Ulysses' Gaze (Angelopoulos '95)
Exotica (Egoyan '94)
The Reflecting Skin (Ridley '90)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Gah. I find it impossible to fight recency bias when having to cut down a longer list into just 15 entries. Especially painful are the last five cuts.

A Ghost Story
A Separation
Beau Travail
Birdman
Caché (Hidden)
Call Me By Your Name
Cold War
First Reformed
Portrait of A Lady on Fire
Once Upon A Time in Anatolia
Roma
The White Ribbon
The Trial (Welles)
You Were Never Really Here
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Histeria wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:43 am First Reformed
Absolutely phenomenal film, it would make my list too. I had big expectations going into it, and it delivered. I'm planning to read the screenplay next.

Have you seen the two films that had a big influence on it, Journal d'un curé de campagne / Diary of a Country Priest (Bresson, 1951) and Nattvardsgästerna / Winter Light (Bergman, 1963)? I haven't seen the Bresson film yet, but Winter Light is my favourite Bergman film.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Stavrogyn wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:59 am
Absolutely phenomenal film, it would make my list too. I had big expectations going into it, and it delivered. I'm planning to read the screenplay next.

Have you seen the two films that had a big influence on it, Journal d'un curé de campagne / Diary of a Country Priest (Bresson, 1951) and Nattvardsgästerna / Winter Light (Bergman, 1963)? I haven't seen the Bresson film yet, but Winter Light is my favourite Bergman film.
I've seem Bergman's but have to watch Diary of Country Priest. Thanks for the heads-up!
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Stavrogyn wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:59 am

I've seen Bergman's but have to watch Diary of Country Priest. Thanks for the heads-up!
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Histeria wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:15 am I've seen Bergman's but have to watch Diary of Country Priest. Thanks for the heads-up!
You're welcome! Interestingly, back in 1972, Andrei Tarkovsky made a list of his 10 favourite films, and Diary of a Country Priest and Winter Light took the first two spots: https://www.openculture.com/2014/08/and ... -1972.html

This is the list:

1. Diary of a Country Priest (Robert Bresson, 1951)
2. Winter Light (Ingmar Bergman, 1963)
3. Nazarin (Luis Buñuel, 1959)
4. Wild Strawberries (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)
5. City Lights (Charlie Chaplin, 1931)
6. Ugetsu Monogatari (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1953)
7. Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954)
8. Persona (Ingmar Bergman, 1966)
9. Mouchette (Robert Bresson, 1967)
10. Woman of the Dunes (Hiroshi Teshigahara, 1964)
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Bergman stated that two of his favourite movies were Persona and Winter Light.

I'm a big fan of the entire trilogy of faith (Through a Glass Darkly/Winter Light/The Silence).

Hour of the Wolf is another favourite, which Lynch noted to be one of his major influences.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Stavrogyn wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:22 am
JackwithOneEye wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:46 am I liked The Boss of it All. I thought it was very funny.
I have finally seen Direktøren for det hele - and I loved it. I have now seen all of Lars von Trier's feature films, except the documentary The Five Obstructions, and it seems that, at least for me, he just doesn't miss. I didn't have big expectations when I sat down to watch this film, but it ended up being interesting from start to finish, and the humor was just my cup of tea. I loved the main character, Kristoffer, his obsession with Antonio Stavro Gambini, and especially the ending (von Trier almost always has great endings). The absurdness of it all was in the vein of something I might have attempted to write back when I was more into dark comedy - but I would have failed miserably compared to von Trier's masterful comic timing. (It also reminded me of the American version of The Office.)

I would recommend Direktøren for det hele to everyone. It's like a lighter and maybe even funnier counterpart of Idioterne (even though I find that film superior).

It's interesting how both Manderlay and Direktøren for det hele seem to be considered as his lesser works, but they ended up being among my favourites.

Been a decade since I saw Boss of it all, I remember thinking the concept was very clever, very funny in parts, and the stationary camera fixed position aesthetic worked out fine. I haven't seen The Five Obstructions.

Been years since I saw that Michael Elphick one, his first feature, I'd like to revisit that one of these days and see how it holds up. Element of Crime I think it was called without looking it up.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:16 pm
Stavrogyn wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:22 am
JackwithOneEye wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:46 am I liked The Boss of it All. I thought it was very funny.
I have finally seen Direktøren for det hele - and I loved it. I have now seen all of Lars von Trier's feature films, except the documentary The Five Obstructions, and it seems that, at least for me, he just doesn't miss. I didn't have big expectations when I sat down to watch this film, but it ended up being interesting from start to finish, and the humor was just my cup of tea. I loved the main character, Kristoffer, his obsession with Antonio Stavro Gambini, and especially the ending (von Trier almost always has great endings). The absurdness of it all was in the vein of something I might have attempted to write back when I was more into dark comedy - but I would have failed miserably compared to von Trier's masterful comic timing. (It also reminded me of the American version of The Office.)

I would recommend Direktøren for det hele to everyone. It's like a lighter and maybe even funnier counterpart of Idioterne (even though I find that film superior).

It's interesting how both Manderlay and Direktøren for det hele seem to be considered as his lesser works, but they ended up being among my favourites.

Been a decade since I saw Boss of it all, I remember thinking the concept was very clever, very funny in parts, and the stationary camera fixed position aesthetic worked out fine. I haven't seen The Five Obstructions.

Been years since I saw that Michael Elphick one, his first feature, I'd like to revisit that one of these days and see how it holds up. Element of Crime I think it was called without looking it up.
Element of Crime is correct. Very atmospheric movie, and one which I've always liked. Also, The Five Obstructions is Lars in full artist-prankster mode, and it's quite a nice little documentary about the artistic process.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

djerdap wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:22 am Bergman stated that two of his favourite movies were Persona and Winter Light.

I'm a big fan of the entire trilogy of faith (Through a Glass Darkly/Winter Light/The Silence).

Hour of the Wolf is another favourite, which Lynch noted to be one of his major influences.
I've seen all of these films. Hour of the Wolf was the most disturbing Bergman film I've ever seen, so I can understand why Lynch would appreciate it :D

Have you seen Skammen / Shame (1968)? A great film; it could be considered a work of existentialist cinema. It was the first film he made after Vargtimmen / Hour of the Wolf.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

LateReg wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:54 pm Element of Crime is correct. Very atmospheric movie, and one which I've always liked. Also, The Five Obstructions is Lars in full artist-prankster mode, and it's quite a nice little documentary about the artistic process.
The Element of Crime is very atmospheric indeed; its usage of the sepia color, as well as the obvious aesthetic influence of Andrei Tarkovsky, make it quite unique - even though I prefer von Trier's later work.

Looking forward to seeing The Five Obstructions!
Rigpa
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rigpa »

For my 15 I decided to leave out the already listed films by Kubrick and Fellini and Bergman and Tarkovksy and Lynch, etc. and list instead films and directors that seem woefully unrepresented. Also decided to stay more recent. Here goes…
All About My Mother-Almodovar
McCabe & Mrs. Miller-Altman
Grand Budapest Hotel-Wes Anderson
The Fountain-Aronofsky
The Piano-Campion
A Serious Man-Coen Bros.
Tetro-Coppola
Billy Elliot-Daldry
Lives of Others-Von Donnersmarck
Best In Show-Guest
Dead Man-Jarmusch
Synecdoche, NY-Kaufman
Topsy Turvy-Leigh
The Limey-Soderbergh
The Great Beauty-Sorrentino
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Rigpa wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:38 pm Tetro-Coppola
Tetro is a very underappreciated film, which I never see mentioned anywhere, but which I enjoyed very much. I just loved the atmosphere of the apartment where the characters live and its surroundings. It created a sort of an ideal image in my mind for which I long for in real life. It still inspires me in some artistic manner almost a decade after watching it.

Very glad to see it mentioned here!
Rigpa
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rigpa »

I totally agree with you, Stavrogyn! Such a wonderful evocation of a supportive, artistic community. Mike Leigh’s Topsy Turvy is also a fantastic film about the nuts and bolts of putting on a Gilbert & Sullivan performance. Totally different culturally than a small Argentinian theater, but also captures the artistic process beautifully.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

AXX°N N. wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:24 pm Lot of great, great choices here so far.

08. Holy Mountain (Jodorowsky)
Just saw Santa Sangre by Jodorowsky. When it first came out in '89, I meant to go see it, but somehow never made a plan.

So here I am 33 years later, finally seeing it.

It was definitely interesting.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly