What is your Twin Peaks unpopular opinion?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: What is your Twin Peaks unpopular opinion?

Post by Jonah »

AXX°N N. wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:03 pm I'm not sure I have the bias you describe, but one can't really be clear on their own biases. I do know I'm aware when watching old TP that everything is conceptually passing through Lynch & Frost, and Frost specifically did pass-overs on the scripts for cohesion, so I'm aware anything I might like or dislike could be attributed to either of them. And I think an aspect of that survives in S3, too, because we can only take guesses at who did what and Frost is on record noting that some people get it wrong who was responsible for what. So all things visual aside, I tend not to assume something I like in TP must be Lynch or vice verse.
Great points about the original series and the revival. (And I did get what you meant about the Evelyn casting too, so you phrased it perfectly fine.)
Last edited by Jonah on Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:04 pm To be fair, I think accusation is a bit strong and overtly defensive word - and if the discussion continues in that tone, it is likely to get more heated and I'll opt out. I also don't really like you saying I'm answering questions I'm asking - it feels too critical. I'm just expressing some opinions and pointing out a tendency for fans to reframe things, which I included myself of also doing. But I think words like accusation and evaluating my questions as answering them myself - I'm sure you don't mean it that way, but I feel it's a bit too critical. I didn't call out anyone in particular. I'm speaking in more general terms and have said I respect everyone else's opinions.
Jonah, I'm not sure where you're coming from with this. I think I must have not been clear in what I wrote or something because this response is unexpected. I wasn't adopting any sort of tone or being defensive at all and didn't think you were accusing anyone in particular of anything--I'm just saying, from a very general place as this is something I've thought about a lot, that it's impossible to know for sure about whether fans would like the non-Lynch stuff more if they found out he directed it, and so it becomes a moot point. I also allowed that there are certain amounts of leeway granted to certain directors, thus agreeing with you that it is possible to reframe your outlook based on your knowledge of the director.

And I'm saying that when I read your complaints about the direction of The Return and hear you say that you don't understand certain creative decisions, that it seems like you actually do understand them, but just don't like the answers you've found. I don't know why you thought I was being critical by saying that? If anything I was saying that I feel you do understand the things you say you don't...which I thought was a compliment and also worth considering. Which is why I basically rephrased everything you had already said to explore why The Return was focused on what it was.

Sorry for any confusion.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

No worries. I've since edited my post a few more times too to try to explain what I meant.

I just want to be clear I am not accusing anyone in particular (or even all fans, just pointing out some stuff I've seen) of anything, but I have often noted particular examples of fans reframing episodes after learning Lynch directed them, even admitting to rewinding to see his name in the credits and then having a more favourable opinion of certain scenes. This was true even back in the day, I'm guessing. But I've also seen fans criticize how much Episode 8 drags - so I definitely wasn't saying fans praise everything he does. I just feel there is a tendency to laude Lynch (often deservedly, but not always) and dismiss silly things he did but really point them out if it's someone else who directed them. There's even a very strong tendency to really analyze some silly scene as being of much much deeper meaning than I'm sure Lynch intended. This reminds me a bit about the old adage I've seen mentioned on here before - sometimes blue curtains are just blue curtains (not a psychological treatise exploring the tragedy of Cooper's character or something). Even Frost pointed this out, though in a more critical way than I liked, when he said Lynch can be a simple guy at times (not always - he can also be very complex) and may not know what he meant when he did something, like all creative types, including me. There's even a story of him saying "so that's what I mean by that!" Yet some fans would have you believe every single scene he directed is some deeply complex meaning that reverberates with other supposedly deeply significant meanings - and it might just be a silly scene about a chair. Some of the mental gymnastics I've seen people engage in to try to elevate a seemingly silly or bad scene to the great works of Homer come across as very fanboy-ish. So I was just pointing that out. I've even done it myself at times.

Anyway, I kind of understood this tendency more in the Lynch-directed episodes of the original series - as he was often hampered with silly continuing stories (Nadine, etc.) and you can see these subplots having to be continued in 14 and 29 and other episodes. And in many cases he really truly does elevate this material to being much better than the mid-season storylines. Very much so and I applaud him for that. But there is a lot of silly stuff in The Return that I feel because some fans can't blame other writers for that stuff or say Lynch had to continue other storylines, because it's all Lynch and Frost, I've noticed some fans now go in a different direction and try to elevate every silly throwaway scene of being some vital piece of artistic brilliance that is poorly misunderstood.

If people don't agree with me on any of that, I understand, but please don't get defensive about it or overtly critical about my posts or say I just want coffee and cherry pie from the original series - I've experienced a lot of those kind of replies. I'm not directing all of this reply at you, just in general, and I'm not pointing out anyone in particular, just a tendency I've noticed some people (far from all) engage in. And in some cases they're even right - a silly scene might have more significance to an over-arching plot and it might need to be interpretated in a deeper way - but sometimes a silly scene is just a silly scene, and I was surprised by how many of them were in The Return.
Last edited by Jonah on Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Jonah wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:52 pm No worries. I've since edited my post a few more times too to try to explain what I meant.

I just want to be clear I am not accusing anyone of anything, but I have often noted particular examples of fans reframing episodes after learning Lynch directed them, even admitting to rewinding to see his name in the credits and then having a more favourable opinion of certain scenes. This was true even back in the day, I'm guessing. But I've also seen fans criticize how much Episode 8 drags - so I definitely wasn't saying fans praise everything he does. I just feel there is a tendency to laude Lynch (often deservedly, but not always) and dismiss silly things he did but really point them out if it's someone else who directed them. There's even a very strong tendency to really analyze some silly scene as being of much much deeper meaning than I'm sure Lynch intended. This reminds me a bit about the old adage I've seen mentioned on here before - sometimes blue curtains are just blue curtains (not a psychological treatise exploring the tragedy of Cooper's character or something). Even Frost pointed this out, though in a more critical way than I liked, when he said Lynch can be a simple guy at times (not always - he can also be very complex) and may not know what he meant when he did something, like all creative types, including me. There's even a story of him saying "so that's what I mean by that!" Yet many fans would have you believe every single scene he directed is some deeply complex meaning that reverberates with other supposedly deeply significant meanings - and it might just be a silly scene about a chair. Some of the mental gymnastics I've seen people engage in to try to elevate a seemingly silly or bad scene to the great works of Homer come across as very fanboy-ish. So I was just pointing that out. I've even done it myself at times.

Anyway, I kind of understood this tendency more in the Lynch-directed episodes of the original series - as he was often hampered with silly continuing stories (Nadine, etc.) and you can see these subplots having to be continued in 14 and 29 and other episodes. And in many cases he really truly does elevate this material to being much better than the mid-season storylines. Very much so and I applaud him for that. But there is a lot of silly stuff in The Return that I feel because some fans can't blame other writers for that stuff or say Lynch had to continue other storylines, because it's all Lynch and Frost, I've noticed some fans now go in a different direction and try to elevate every silly throwaway scene of being some vital piece of artistic brilliance that is poorly misunderstood.

If people don't agree with me on any of that, I understand, but please don't get defensive about it or overtly critical about my posts or say I just want coffee and cherry pie from the original series - I've experienced a lot of those kind of replies. I'm not directing all of this reply at you, just in general, and I'm not pointing out anyone in particular, just a tendency I've noticed some people (far from all) engage in. And in some cases they're even right - a silly scene might have more significance to an over-arching plot and it might need to be interpretated in a deeper way - but sometimes a silly scene is just a silly scene, and I was surprised by how many of them were in The Return.
I think that it’s possible that some of what you perceive as mental gymnastics are in fact people’s genuine responses to particular scenes. Just because you perceive a scene as silly or bad doesn’t mean that those who enjoy it are deluding themselves in doing so. I’ll grant that there may be some people doing this, but even the most ardent Lynch fans will be able to point out some scenes of his they don’t like, so why assume they’re pulling the wool over their eyes when it comes to other moments?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Sure, that's true. I did acknowledge that some scenes do warrant further evaluation and could have deeper significance. And I didn't say the mental gymnastics aren't genuine responses. They very well could be. But sometimes, as people have no problem pointing out to me when I'm engaging in speculation, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and blue curtains are just blue curtains, and sometimes Lynch himself - like all writers, including me - didn't know what he meant in the moment, as he's admitted to and as Frost has also attested to. I've had agents and publishers evaluate some of the themes in my novels that I never even knew existed and am still not fully sure I agree with them or even saw them (let alone intended them!) when I wrote them or even when I read back over them.

Anyway, I'm probably going to bow out of this conversation now as it feels like people are just going to keep jumping on my posts and analysing them and debating them, which is fine to a certain point but not if it begins to feel like I can't say anything without someone getting agitated about it, whereas I wasn't quoting anyone or specifying anyone in particular, just speaking generally. And I don't feel anyone's pulling wool over anyone's eyes - that's another conclusion that's being jumped to that feels far from the stuff I said. I know these opinions aren't popular and perhaps I haven't explained them well but I did try to acknowledge that I was only speaking about a tendency I've noticed, certainly not every fan or every scene.
Last edited by Jonah on Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:52 pm I just want to be clear I am not accusing anyone of anything, but I have often noted particular examples of fans reframing episodes after learning Lynch directed them, even admitting to rewinding to see his name in the credits and then having a more favourable opinion of certain scenes. This was true even back in the day, I'm guessing. But I've also seen fans criticize how much Episode 8 drags - so I definitely wasn't saying fans praise everything he does. I just feel there is a tendency to laude Lynch (often deservedly, but not always) and dismiss silly things he did but really point them out if it's someone else who directed them. There's even a very strong tendency to really analyze some silly scene as being of much much deeper meaning than I'm sure Lynch intended. This reminds me a bit about the old adage I've seen mentioned on here before - sometimes blue curtains are just blue curtains (not a psychological treatise exploring the tragedy of Cooper's character or something). Even Frost pointed this out, though in a more critical way than I liked, when he said Lynch can be a simple guy at times (not always - he can also be very complex) and may not know what he meant when he did something, like all creative types, including me. There's even a story of him saying "so that's what I mean by that!" Yet many fans would have you believe every single scene he directed is some deeply complex meaning that reverberates with other supposedly deeply significant meanings - and it might just be a silly scene about a chair. Some of the mental gymnastics I've seen people engage in to try to elevate a seemingly silly or bad scene to the great works of Homer come across as very fanboy-ish. So I was just pointing that out. I've even done it myself at times.
If you have firsthand knowledge of what you speak of in that first sentence, I believe you. And that is interesting for sure! But, I think that we'd agree that most seasoned watchers can tell when Lynch has directed an episode whether or not they've seen his name in the credits. And I'm not saying that it's even apparent in every scene, but in a majority of the episode, and often from the jump. An interesting extension/inversion of this is how I believe that the end of episode 13 is possibly the best non-Lynch directed scene in the original series. Now, Lynch is in the scene and therefore on the set, but I'm not fully aware of what his input was or if he aided in any direction. I can look at that scene in two ways at once: First, that Lynch definitely did not direct that scene, but it is my favorite non-Lynch directed scene. And second, that Lynch is featured in that scene, and therefore may have had a hand, invisible or otherwise, in the direction of the scene. But either way, I think the same of the scene. But the quality of the scene itself, coupled with Lynch being in the room, leads me to wonder if Lynch had a hand in it.

I do think there are quite a few silly scenes that carry multitudes of meaning throughout The Return, but as enumbs was alluding earlier I think that's because so much of The Return is in service to a bunch of intertwining ideas. Most of the scenes seem to operate at multiple levels to me because they seem to touch on one or more of the many ideas that form the core of The Return's themes, which run throughout the series, one leading into another and back around again. But one thing I want to make clear is that I don't think that Lynch is some genius mathematician who is stacking these ideas one on top of the other in intentionally interlocking patterns. In both agreement and counterpoint to what you've said, I believe that Lynch operates through such intuition that the ideas he grabs out of the air end up accumulating in not altogether expected ways, amounting to layers of potential meaning, the work of someone who is completely open to receive signals from the universe, so to speak. As he said, as long as he's true to the idea, then it will make sense, and that's how I think it works. I totally get why he'd say "so that's what I mean by that!" Haha.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I initially edited this into my previous response but I think it's worth stating on its own:

A point to note is that even if the author or director isn't aware of a theme doesn't mean it doesn't exist and doesn't mean they weren't subconsciously creating the scene - that's all very true so that's why I agree with some of the deeper interpretations. I just don't like when every silly scene or bad plot decision or goofy moment of humour is said to be of greater artistic significance than it might be and especially what I don't like is, if you express that you didn't like it, you're told you're just not getting it or accused of wanting the original series - that often crops up in these type of discussions, particularly since The Return aired. And yet if a similar scene took place in mid-Season 2, the same fans - again, not anyone in particular - who might have argued that when Lynch did it it had deeper meaning, trash it if another writer or director did it. (And it's true Lynch probably would have made it better, but not always.) I don't like that either.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Just to be clear guys - I love Lynch and think he's a genius. The Lynch-directed episodes of the original series are my favourite by far and I wish he had directed more. I was much less impressed with parts of The Return (though I warmed up to it pretty quickly, by Part 3) and surprised that so much of what felt to me like bad Season 2 stuff crept into it when I noticed very little of that kind of stuff in the episodes he directed of the original series. I do like The Return and try to appreciate it for what it is, but I have a lot of issues with it and see it as a more flawed work than those Lynch episodes of the original series. I suppose I was expecting something different (but not the cozy cherry pie stuff) and was just surprised and disappointed with a lot of the goofy scenes. I also had similar reservations with Mulholland Drive. I was also surprised by Lynch and Frost taking certain directions that I felt underutilized the original cast and setting and overemphasised what felt to be like really nothing scenes and a multitude of very poorly sketched characters - but there was a LOT I liked about it. Not sure I can really say anymore than that.

And if people think I'm way off base with my interpretations of some of the fan reactions and reframings and stuff like that, if you really truly never noticed any of the stuff I pointed out on this forum or other discussion boards about the show, then fair enough - but I'd be surprised if no one ever noticed any of these biases before.

It's getting late here and I've had a long day and this discussion has gone on much much longer than I had planned, so I'm signing off for now.

(I can't say it was fun, but it was interesting!)
Last edited by Jonah on Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Jonah wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:18 pm Sure, that's true. I did acknowledge that some scenes do warrant further evaluation and could have deeper significance. And I didn't say the mental gymnastics aren't genuine responses. They very well could be. But sometimes, as people have no problem pointing out to me when I'm engaging in speculation, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and blue curtains are just blue curtains, and sometimes Lynch himself - like all writers, including me - didn't know what he meant in the moment, as he's admitted to and as Frost has also attested to. I've had agents and publishers evaluate some of the themes in my novels that I never even knew existed and am still not fully sure I agree with them or even saw them (let alone intended them!) when I wrote them or even when I read back over them.

Anyway, I'm probably going to bow out of this conversation now as it feels like people are just going to keep jumping on my posts and analysing them and debating them, which is fine to a certain point but not if it begins to feel like I can't say anything without someone getting agitated about it, whereas I wasn't quoting anyone or specifying anyone in particular, just speaking generally. And I don't feel anyone's pulling wool over anyone's eyes - that's another conclusion that's being jumped to that feels far from the stuff I said. I know these opinions aren't popular and perhaps I haven't explained them well but I did try to acknowledge that I was only speaking about a tendency I've noticed, certainly not every fan or every scene.
Happy to drop the topic but I’m not agitated or offended by what you’re saying at all. I do disagree with some of what you’ve said (I always tend to bristle at any kind of “Emperor’s New Clothes” argument) but I hope you understand that it’s an entirely friendly disagreement. I didn’t mean to mischaracterise your argument - I used the phrase “pull the wool over their eyes” rather clumsily as a way of describing a person deceiving themselves rather than anyone else, in reference to the mental gymnastics you were referring to.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, but I think that the opposite can be true, and that certain scenes of The Return have been promptly categorised and dismissed without being properly considered. Even something like the Dougie story, which is obviously central to the show, has been too often dismissed as comic relief filler, and a way of padding out the plot before the revival of Agent Cooper.
Last edited by enumbs on Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

LateReg wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:24 pm If you have firsthand knowledge of what you speak of in that first sentence, I believe you. And that is interesting for sure!
I definitely do have firsthand knowledge of that stuff. That's why I brought it up - because it's stuff I've encountered a lot as a fan.
LateReg wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:24 pm I do think there are quite a few silly scenes that carry multitudes of meaning throughout The Return, but as enumbs was alluding earlier I think that's because so much of The Return is in service to a bunch of intertwining ideas. Most of the scenes seem to operate at multiple levels to me because they seem to touch on one or more of the many ideas that form the core of The Return's themes, which run throughout the series, one leading into another and back around again. But one thing I want to make clear is that I don't think that Lynch is some genius mathematician who is stacking these ideas one on top of the other in intentionally interlocking patterns. In both agreement and counterpoint to what you've said, I believe that Lynch operates through such intuition that the ideas he grabs out of the air end up accumulating in not altogether expected ways, amounting to layers of potential meaning, the work of someone who is completely open to receive signals from the universe, so to speak. As he said, as long as he's true to the idea, then it will make sense, and that's how I think it works. I totally get why he'd say "so that's what I mean by that!" Haha.
Just want to quote this paragraph you wrote as I really liked it - and it's a great interpretation of his work. So I'm going to end my part in this discussion on that positive note! Have a great night, you guys. See you in the trees - or on the Season 4 discussion thread. :wink:
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

LateReg wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:24 pm But one thing I want to make clear is that I don't think that Lynch is some genius mathematician who is stacking these ideas one on top of the other in intentionally interlocking patterns. In both agreement and counterpoint to what you've said, I believe that Lynch operates through such intuition that the ideas he grabs out of the air end up accumulating in not altogether expected ways, amounting to layers of potential meaning, the work of someone who is completely open to receive signals from the universe, so to speak. As he said, as long as he's true to the idea, then it will make sense, and that's how I think it works. I totally get why he'd say "so that's what I mean by that!" Haha.
Totally agree with this. Excellently put.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

enumbs wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:39 pm Happy to drop the topic but I’m not agitated or offended by what you’re saying at all. I do disagree with some of what you’ve said (I always tend to bristle at any kind of “Emperor’s New Clothes” argument) but I hope you understand that it’s an entirely friendly disagreement. I didn’t mean to mischaracterise your argument - I used the phrase “pull the wool over their eyes” rather clumsily as a way of describing a person deceiving themselves rather than anyone else, in reference to the mental gymnastics you were referring to.
p.s. I had just signed off the discussion in the post above but then I saw your reply. Perhaps mental gymnastics was too strong a term on my part, but that's how I've perceived some - far, far from all - of it.
enumbs wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:39 pm Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, but I think that the opposite can be true, and that certain scenes of The Return have been promptly categorised and dismissed without being properly considered. Even something like the Dougie story, which is obviously central to the show, has been too often dismissed as comic relief filler, and a way of padding out the plot before the revival of Agent Cooper.
I agree with all of that. I actually don't really like the cigar quote, it's just something I've seen said on here before. I do like the blue curtains one more. I agree with the Dougie stuff being too readily dismissed also but I can kind of understand some of that - I think a lot of people just missed the Cooper character and felt frustrated that it was so stretched out. I can see why it's important to the arc but I can also truly understand people being frustrated when they'd waited 25 years to see that character back. I think it was more a combination of that and the sidelining of all the other characters along with the drastic shift in tone and other things that soured some people. I'm not necessarily one of those people, but I can understand where they're coming from.

But beyond that, I still think the Lynch bias is (at least sometimes) present in this fandom (that doesn't mean among everyone or all the time) and I'd be interested in perhaps seeing some of the silly mid-Season 2 stuff (which I also dislike) being re-evaluted as being deeper than it was. THAT sounds like a more interesting discussion in some ways, though admittedly controversial!

And I'm really fine with people analysing scenes as being deeper than they seemed on the surface, and in many cases they probably are actually deeper than what they seem, I just don't think they always are, and I don't think we should always elevate a scene because Lynch directed it. (For example, I felt some fans were more critical in general of his work on Episode 8, as I've mentioned a few times now, than they ever were on episodes of The Return - not including the Profoundly Disappointed Support Group.)

I don't even dislike all that goofy stuff as much as it seems by my complaints here, I just dislike how it's elevated more in some cases to being more than I feel it is, when it often felt to me just like the mid-Season 2 stuff. Though I acknowledge that sometimes it is more meaningful than it appears on the surface, I really don't think it is as much as its made out to be - and its inclusion also made me question if Lynch might have been behind a lot of that stuff in mid-Season 2 or at least more than is generally accepted. On the Air and Mulholland Drive, and more of his films, are other places where this kind of stuff comes up a lot (the goofy cops and hitmen in The Return felt very much like the goofy cops and hitmen in Mulholland Drive, just even more pronounced - and I struggle to see a deeper meaning there, for instance - a little of that kind of stuff goes a long long way and I felt there was just way too much of it, then throw in Chantal and Hutch, and it's just way too much for me - though I did like the Mitchum Brothers), so it's not exclusive to mid-Season 2 or non-Lynch episodes, and often seems to be connected more to Lynch than I had realised before the revival.

Anyway, it really is very late here - I wasn't just saying that to bow out of the conversation lol. I'm exhausted and feel even more tired now. I might pop in to the Season 4 thread later if I'm around, but probably won't revisit this one until tomorrow at the earliest. Goodnight guys!
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Jonah wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:22 pm I like the Big Ed/Norma stuff - but even then I would have liked to see their wedding not be told about it via a throwaway line or two in Frost's book.
To me, what Lynch did with Big Ed and Norma is masterful storytelling. He barely used them in The Return, especially Big Ed, because he didn't have to - we already knew everything about their relationship from before. The only thing we needed to know was that after all those years they still aren't together.

When Norma's hand appears on Big Ed's shoulder, it triggers such a powerful moment of emotional satisfaction and closure like I have rarely seen in a TV series. And the fact that it is squeezed among much more sinister sequences makes it stand out even more.

To later add a wedding scene, for example, or anything else about their relationship for that matter, would just feel redundant. What would we get out of it? Yet another emotionally satisfying closure like the one we already got? It would have been very bad storytelling, in my opinion.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

I seem to have missed the discussion that kind of started off with my pro-Episode 16 post... But I have read everything and I guess I've got more unpopular opinions up my sleeve ;-)

1. I don't find Lynch's episodes the best - I mean, to some extent I do, because among my favourite six or seven episodes, the Lynch-directed ones would make a majority, yes. However:

- there are at least four Season 1 episodes I like much more than Ep.2. Season 1 as a whole is perfection for me and there is no weaker moment; Episode 2 is perhaps the most important episode of all but the best? Others - especially 4,5,6,7 - seem much more consistent. Episode 2 is great and has amazing scenes, like the Horne breakfast or rock-throwing, but I don't really see it so consistent in terms of style, atmosphere...

- there is a whole bunch of episodes I find much better than Ep.9, which is solid and well-made but nothing over that imo

- as stated before: as much as I LOVE Ep.14 and I find its ending the best Twin Peaks moment of all, as a whole, I tend to prefer Ep.16

And a small addendum:
Jonah wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:45 pm I view 14 as the finale to that mystery, not 16. 15 and 16 are just the coda, the wrap-up. The real ending essentially comes with 14. I do like 15 and 16 but I recognise they're a big jump down from 14.
I wholeheartedly disagree :-) These three episodes, for me, are one big ending, where each moment is indispensable. Episode 14 is the best episode ending ever, perhaps even the best Lynch scene ever - but it doesn't feel like the proper ending to the most fascinating story-arc ever, if you know what I mean :-) We NEEDED to see at least a bit of bad Leland in action, as well as Leland falling apart and above all - the confession scene. And then this last scene of Ep.16, with the question of Where is BOB now?, and the owl - now THAT is the true and perfect ending!

--

(between 1 and 2) - having said that, I really do like the rest of Season 2 (back in the old days I would, for my own sake, call it "season3" because it was so distinct from what had been before) - and so this quote goes very well with me:
Stavrogyn wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:40 pm When I watched the series for the first time, my main problem with episode 17 was that it felt like the story was over, and I couldn't see where could it go from there, nor why would it continue. It felt unnecessary.

I actually think if Twin Peaks had ended with episode 16, it would have been considered as one of the greatest series of all time even more than it is today. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't 16 end with that shot that I interpret as from the perspective of BOB / his spirit roaming through the woods in search of a new host? That would have been a brilliant ending.
On my second viewing, however - having known what comes after - I enjoyed the rest of the original series much more, including episode 17.
As well as this:
Jonah wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:19 am
Another unpopular opinion - I quite like a lot of the Leo and Windom in the cabin stuff. Yes, even the flute playing. I don't think of these scenes as necessarily the weaker stuff at all. For some reason, they work for me and I find them quite enjoyable.

I'm pretty sure I've said this before too (a lot of these topics sometimes seem to lead back to the same plot points!) but that horse costume/Briggs ambush scene is a wonder to behold - it's actually quite creepy but so unbelievably ludicrous to think both Windom and Leo are crouched together under that costume, creeping through the woods, with a tranquilizer gun. Yet somehow, despite being so ridiculous, it works.
This unpopular opinion I happily share!

---

3. I loved the way Laura's mystery was solved and I didn't want anything AFTER Ep.29! - well, back then, I didn't even know there was any talk about that and I didn't know that Lynch & Frost actually wanted to keep the mystery going and so on... News like that wouldn't reach the far country of Poland ;-) So I found out about all this much later, via internet - and much to my discontent. Like, they really wanted to treat the Laura mystery in a different way? To keep it going for more and more episodes?! But why if what we got was just PERFECT!

Similarly, any ideas of going on past Ep.29 and the shocking Cooper possession seemed to my at least improper ;-)

Cheers!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB