What is your Twin Peaks unpopular opinion?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: What is your Twin Peaks unpopular opinion?

Post by JackwithOneEye »

agree on some of these points, the Louise Dombrowski hookrug song from S2 is one of my favorite tracks.
and I loved that scene.

David Warner's performance as Eakhardt fit in with the 1930's - 50's film noir / old hollywood intrigue pastiche they were going for.

The Evelyn Marsh stuff, Andrew Packard back from the dead, everyone double crossing each other,
seemed to be a self aware homage to half remembered old hollywood tropes.

The Scott Frost book I remember someone giving me for xmas in 1991,
i remember reading it in a day, I seem to remember stuff about Cooper carrying a reel to reel tape recorder
arround as a kid, I thought that was funny.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I love Eckhart. But then, I love David Warner. Him hammily turning into his closeup always cracks me up...I think he does it at least twice (by the fireplace in his intro, and at Catherine’s door...the latter doesn’t even make any logical sense but I love it). I also really find Andrew funny. And Angelo’s “Packard Theme” is so damn good. I really wish that storyline made any sense whatsoever and that Warner/Eckhardt had been given more to do. But it still amuses me. DAMN BOXES!

I like MLMT a lot, although like Mark’s books, it contradicts parts of the series in an annoying way (including episodes Scott wrote!). But it’s really funny and he nails Coop’s voice. Also a few good poignant moments. BTW, here’s a fun snippet laughingpinecone posted awhile back, for fans of the book, in case anyone missed it:

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 90#p112190
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

The broad stroke of a lot of the Mill stuff I think was inventing fake arsons, fake deaths in order to scam insurance companies
to pay out.

You'll drive yourself crazy trying to decipher details. but I felt like it was the shadow of Double Indemnity, Laura, etc
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Save for the Marshes, I like big portions of the 'bad subplots' of Season 2. I'm especially fond of High School Nadine, save for the really visually bad corkscrew. Wendy Robie sells the role with complete abandon; I find it incredible from an acting standpoint.

And despite finding the Marshes incredibly limp, I actually find Keaton's episode enjoyable, perhaps if only because of placement: although I think it's over-affected stylistically, it's at least trying in what feels like a stretch of visually pedestrian episodes.

I think Frost's books are way more thematically rich than they're given credit for, given that a majority of the discussion surrounding them are canon nitpicks. The time abnormalities and info error shenanigans to me seem more thought-out and well-executed than can be ascribed to mere oversights, as is often the charge.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:25 am The broad stroke of a lot of the Mill stuff I think was inventing fake arsons, fake deaths in order to scam insurance companies
to pay out.

You'll drive yourself crazy trying to decipher details. but I felt like it was the shadow of Double Indemnity, Laura, etc
Also Body Heat, as Mark acknowledged in TSHoTP (Andrew’s faked death in an explosion). But yeah, literally none of it makes any sense if you think about it. I wish I had all my analysis of it collected in one post I could link to, but it’s probably scattered over several different episode threads and other places. It is REALLY just bonkers to the point where you have to laugh. (As opposed to Double Indemnity, which actually makes sense.)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

The Josie getting trapped in the drawer pull is one of my favourite scenes.

I like Lara Flynn Boyle.

I prefer the original series to The Return but can appreciate and separate the two series and don't hate the revival.

I wish we'd gotten a Season 3 (and even a few more seasons) in the 90's (maybe on Bravo) preferably after FWWM, but even in place of it - and even in place of The Return, though ideally this mythical season would exist with everything else.

I wish we'd gotten two more TP movies after FWWM.

I don't like much of the MD-style stuff in The Return (all the scenes with policemen, random weirdos, etc.)

I don't think Lynch has to direct every episode of TP. And I don't think he and Frost have to write every episode.

I think Lynch and Frost could and should have done a lot more with the Twin Peaks setting and the living original actors and characters and storylines in The Return. A LOT MORE.

Bob possessing other characters leading to new murder msyteries and making you suspect every other character as being the new host should have been the new storyline immediately after Episode 16, followed by or in tandem with a darker version of the Windom Earle storyline, and Donna should have been a target, along with a redheaded version of Laura (the second part was somewhat originally planned if there had been another season).

Sarah should have been kept as an innocent (I know you could argue she might have been complicit or suspected what was going on in FWWM, but I wouldn't have taken it beyond that) - and only possibly open to influence from the lodge/spirits through her grief and the painting Laura got in FWWM, but not the new big bad.

The old red room should have been used.

Not sure if these are all unpopular opinions - but those are some of mine.
Last edited by Jonah on Tue May 04, 2021 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Moira Kelly was great as Donna. She was closer to Harriet Hayward's brand of innocence and intelligence than LFB's Donna, and I loved her take on the character.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I didn't mind the Marsh storyline so much.

I was an adolescent 13 year old when those aired, and was discovering old noir movies on AMC at the time,
and I could see what they were going for.

Strangely enough, I remember going to the library and taking out this book "The Devil Thumbs a Ride and Other Unforgettable Films"
by Barry Gifford, from 1988, and he criticized Blue Velvet a bit in there, right before WAH came around I guess.

I'm glad things worked out how they worked out.

Woulda been interesting if Bravo brought back the show in 1993 or whatever,
there musta been a conversation about it. The Log Lady intro's were great. shot on 16mm I believe.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:44 am
Woulda been interesting if Bravo brought back the show in 1993 or whatever,
there musta been a conversation about it. The Log Lady intro's were great. shot on 16mm I believe.
A 1993 season on Bravo would have been amazing. That way we'd still get to keep FWWM and it was only two years since the cliffhanger so a lot of the actors were still alive/looked the same and, apart from the fact that a lot of them had probably moved on to other projects, they could have easily enough picked up where they left off.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

madeleineferguson wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:44 am Moira Kelly was great as Donna. She was closer to Harriet Hayward's brand of innocence and intelligence than LFB's Donna, and I loved her take on the character.
I liked her too. I liked both of them. I'm still surprised they didn't offer (as far as I know) Moira Kelly a role (as Donna or someone else) in The Return especially after LFB turned it down. I think they should if they continue and LFB still doesn't want to come back. Or even if she does, cast them both, either in the same or different roles.
Last edited by Jonah on Tue May 04, 2021 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:44 am
Strangely enough, I remember going to the library and taking out this book "The Devil Thumbs a Ride and Other Unforgettable Films"
by Barry Gifford, from 1988, and he criticized Blue Velvet a bit in there, right before WAH came around I guess.
Heh, one of the later Sailor & Lula books mentions a character being deeply disturbed by Blue Velvet.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Jonah wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:49 am
madeleineferguson wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:44 am Moira Kelly was great as Donna. She was closer to Harriet Hayward's brand of innocence and intelligence than LFB's Donna, and I loved her take on the character.
I liked her too. I liked both of them. I'm still surprised they didn't offer (as far as I know) Moira Kelly a role (as Donna or someone else) in The Return especially after LFB turned it down. I think they should if they continue and LFB still doesn't want to come back. Or even if she does, cast them both, either in the same or different roles.
Totally. I was hoping they would both be in the Return.

Until Lara finds an incredible plastic surgeon who specializes in corrective procedures, she's not going to return to the screen. If she worked with the right doctor, she could look much closer to how she actually should and feel confident being in front of the public again.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

She's just been in a thriller/western movie and looks okay in the trailer. I shared it on here awhile back.

Edit- here it is:

I think people make too big a deal about her looks. The tabloids have blown it out of proportion - I mean, I know she doesn't look the same anymore, but I try to just ignore it.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

I also really like Moira Kelly as Donna. Not that I don't like LFB Donna, although I do tire of her character after the Harold plotline is resolved.

It would have been interesting to see both Kelly and LFB simultaneously, sort of like how Roseanne back in the day played around and poked fun at having two Beckies, and introduced a character in the reboot so Sarah Chalke could stay around.
Last edited by AXX°N N. on Tue May 04, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

I also hate when folks suggest skipping most of season 2. Even in the weaker stretch, there's some wonderful stuff and important plot-based information. I feel like the people who say to skip it haven't revisited it or thought more deeply about it and are reacting to reputation and repeating what they've been told, similarly to all the FWWM opinions that persist all these years later, despite reassessment throughout the critical community, a Criterion release, etc.

A couple of years ago, and then last year on a 30th anniversary rewatch, I pinpointed that the only stretch of Season 2 that is bad are episodes 20 - 22. That's not to say they're completely without virtue, but I honestly believe that they account for a bad stretch of television, or at the very least are obviously the worst stretch of the series - consisting of the weakest, most inconsequential set of simultaneous storylines. Even if you disagree, that's still only 3 episodes! Surely folks can muscle through 3 bad episodes!

The Marsh storyline is for me the only intolerable one of the bunch. I'm well-schooled in noir, but I think that the Marsh storyline fails because it doesn't feel any different than your random soap opera - it offers nothing as a noir riff, and might succeed only when thought of as a parody of soap operas, but to me it simply, for the first time, becomes a soap opera, with no identity of its own or virtue whatsoever: it's simply a bad soap opera. It also happens to fall in this misguided realm of the series where they were clearly trying to give certain characters something to do seemingly because that's what you did with your main characters and they didn't know how to proceed, which doesn't help. That's how the Marsh storyline feels to me.

Like Reindeer said, unpopular opinions are hard to pin down since we've all thought through a lot of them until no opinions are all that unpopular. I think a lot of casual viewers would still cite Season 1 as the best, but like many of you, I believe that the initial stretch of Season 2 is a lot richer and more interesting - and that many more casual viewers have forgotten just how good Season 2 can be. They think of how perfect the first season is, and then lump all of Season 2 into a blanket statement that it's inconsistent, but that's hardly the case.

Anyway, I thought of this the other day and was going to ask "Am I the only one who..." which I suppose means that I view this as an unpopular opinion, so here goes: While I think that the Red Room antics of Episode 29 cannot be improved upon, I feel like I'm the only one who, overall, prefers the new look of The Red Room in The Return to that of the Original Series. Am I the only one?