Double R Jukebox Records

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Double R Jukebox Records

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Alright, Henrys Hair has planted a bee in my bonnet, and now I’m really curious...has anyone ever figured out all the albums in the Double R jukebox? I’m talking about the album covers we see displayed in the show, not the list of songs in the Access Guide. Out of the five covers displayed on the original series, I can clearly identify ‘This Is Sinatra’ and Al Martino’s ‘Painted, Tainted Rose’ as the first two.

After that is an album cover mostly obscured by post-it notes. The post-it notes reference “I Have a Thing for Love” by Big Tube Squeezer, a 1989 release, but what we see of the artwork does not correspond to that LP’s artwork. See: https://www.twinpeaksblog.com/2020/10/1 ... e-r-diner/

EDIT: Big Tube Squeezer was a local Seattle band at the time!

The guy on the second album from right looks like Dick Powell, but I can’t find any album of his with this cover. And I’m drawing a blank on the cover all the way at the right (dark haired guy in light suit with guitar).

Anyone have any ideas? Also, does anyone know if we ever get a good enough look at the jukebox in TR to do this same exercise? Offhand, I can’t think of any episode where anyone gets close to the jukebox.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mace
Roadhouse Member

Re: Double R Jukebox Records

Post by Mace »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Big Tube Squeezer
Attachments
5887DB84-BFF8-471F-843B-DCC80937951F.jpeg
5887DB84-BFF8-471F-843B-DCC80937951F.jpeg (101.66 KiB) Viewed 9132 times
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Rewatching episode 5 I spotted another shot of the jukebox just before Maddy enters the diner. It might be a slightly clearer shot of the 3 sleeves on the right, although the centre sleeve is still mostly covered.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Henrys Hair wrote:Rewatching episode 5 I spotted another shot of the jukebox just before Maddy enters the diner. It might be a slightly clearer shot of the 3 sleeves on the right, although the centre sleeve is still mostly covered.
Thanks! I checked it out. I still think the best shot I’ve seen thus far is in the Pilot when Heidi enters. Keep an eye on this during your rewatch. ;)

PopApostle IDs one of the records in TR as “Detective Agency” by Daggers and provides a decent screenshot of the record covers. (The Double R has gotten much more contemporary in its selections!)

EDIT: PopApostle seems to have had it backwards. Detective Agency is the name of the band. The album is called ‘Now!’ “Daggers” is a song on the album, and was the title of an earlier EP with a different cover. Evidently a local Seattle band! https://m.facebook.com/detectiveagencyballard/
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

TMP helped me ID the one on the far right: ‘Country Music Time’ by Webb Pierce (slightly altered to remove/obscure the artist name, and it looks rather discolored). I saw Webb’s flamboyantly customized Pontiac Bonneville in the Country Music Hall of Fame many moons ago (with six-shooters added in place of door handles, and silver dollars woven into the leather seats!).
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The second from right is ‘That Duchin Touch’ by Peter Duchin. (Awkwardly altered again to eliminate title, artist name etc.). Now we just need to ID the middle one and we’re off and running to work on TR!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Second from left in TR is Fever Dreams by Beatrix Sky.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

All the way at the right in TR is Baton Rouge by Fauna Shade.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

One left to identify in the original show (the weird hairy arm cover) and two in TR (the one on the left and the one in the middle). The best shots seem to be in Part 11, the shots of Shelly exiting, kissing Red, and returning, for those interested in trying their hand.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Finally realized all the ones in TR are relatively obscure local Seattle bands/artists! Seemingly all albums released in 2015, right when the show was shooting. Super cool. I wonder how many of them even realize they made it onto the show.

All the way on the left is ‘World War III: Songs in Hi-Fi’ by Crazy Eyes. One more to go in TR. As with the original series, I am truly baffled by the middle record.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Finally realized all the ones in TR are relatively obscure local Seattle bands/artists! Seemingly all albums released in 2015, right when the show was shooting. Super cool. I wonder how many of them even realize they made it onto the show.

All the way on the left is ‘World War III: Songs in Hi-Fi’ by Crazy Eyes. One more to go in TR. As with the original series, I am truly baffled by the middle record.
I remain stumped on the middle records from the original series (guy’s hand in pocket) and new series. I asked @NW_Music_Scene on Twitter, figuring they are familiar with local bands/albums from the Seattle area and might recognize the one from TR, but no dice.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Just bumping this since there’s been a little more activity on here lately. I’m two records away from identifying all the albums in the Double R jukebox (one from the old series, one from the new). I think I’ve hit a wall and I’m frustrated. In particular, any fans of the Seattle indie music scene circa 2015, if you’re out there, please take a look at the one from TR and see if you can place it!
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

amazing work. will try to figure out that album
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Just shamelessly bumping this one more time because I’m frustrated that there are still two records I haven’t identified. Three days to go, guys! Any takers?