Twin Peaks “Long Take” Challenge

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Twin Peaks “Long Take” Challenge

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Things have been surprisingly slow on this board, given that we’re in a quarantine and we all have “no place to go...BUT HOME!” I’m getting really into the OCD weeds here, but since time feels both infinitely stretched and utterly meaningless to me at the moment, the Part 7 “sweeping” scene really hit a chord like it never has before, and got me wondering what the longest single shot is in all of TP without a cut. The sweeping scene is a mere 2:28. Off the top of my head, I popped on Episode 1 to watch the Ben/Audrey scene, and it’s 2:58. I think that might be the winner (the terrific long tracking diner shot in Episode 27 is only 2:02, by way of comparison). Anyone have a shot to top this? Nothing is springing to mind, but there were a lot of long takes in those early episodes, and some in S2 as well. I’d love it if someone could best me and think of a longer one.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks “Long Take” Challenge

Post by TwinsPeak »

No clue if its the longest but the Audrey in the bank scene is kinda long. (nvm I just read after posting that its just one take you're talking about...my bad)

Quarantine boredom: someone should make a Twin Peaks Quiz
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

TwinsPeak wrote:No clue if its the longest but the Audrey in the bank scene is kinda long. (nvm I just read after posting that its just one take you're talking about...my bad)

Quarantine boredom: someone should make a Twin Peaks Quiz
No worries, that’s one of my favorite scenes! It really feels like it plays in one take because Lynch keeps returning to that wide shot of poor befuddled Dell wandering back and forth. I just took a look at it and I think the longest continuous shot without a cut is just over a minute.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Even though they're not 'takes', as in; they were not filmed with a physical camera. The first thing that came to mind was the nuclear explosion, but it's only slightly over 2 minutes. Then I checked out the approach of the Fireman's place and it's a whopping 3:05 minutes of uninterrupted image. I'd say part 8 has the biggest collection of long 'takes' overall.

I wonder if Lynch would ever do something among the lines of what was done for movies like Birdman, certain sequences of Children of Men, or that one awesome episode of Mr. Robot. All giving the illusion of being very long, impressive takes, while actually using camera trickery to achieve that illusion. I'm sure Lynch could push this to a whole new level, incorporating art.

"'Who gives a fucking shit how long a scene is?!"
-David Lynch
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Soolsma wrote:Even though they're not 'takes', as in; they were not filmed with a physical camera. The first thing that came to mind was the nuclear explosion, but it's only slightly over 2 minutes. Then I checked out the approach of the Fireman's place and it's a whopping 3:05 minutes of uninterrupted image. I'd say part 8 has the biggest collection of long 'takes' overall.

I wonder if Lynch would ever do something among the lines of what was done for movies like Birdman, certain sequences of Children of Men, or that one awesome episode of Mr. Robot. All giving the illusion of being very long, impressive takes, while actually using camera trickery to achieve that illusion. I'm sure Lynch could push this to a whole new level, incorporating art.

-David Lynch
I would love Lynch to do something like this!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:Even though they're not 'takes', as in; they were not filmed with a physical camera. The first thing that came to mind was the nuclear explosion, but it's only slightly over 2 minutes. Then I checked out the approach of the Fireman's place and it's a whopping 3:05 minutes of uninterrupted image. I'd say part 8 has the biggest collection of long 'takes' overall.

-David Lynch
Haha, I did note on my rewatch that there actually are cuts in that Candie scene, so he did get some additional coverage!

Good call on the Part 8 scenes. I checked out the approach on the Fireman’s. I believe you’re including what I call the “flying paintballs” shot in your total. I’d argue that there is an edit in there when we fade from that shot to the ocean, and you’re also including approximately seven seconds of darkness at the end of the pan-in, which is also sort of a cheat. Without those, I clock it at 2:32. But I like where your head’s at, and I’ll accept it with an asterisk. ;)

I’d love to see Lynch attempt something like Birdman or that Mr. Robot episode, both of which I love. I’m a big fan of long takes, but unlike, say, Tarantino, I get the sense that Lynch wouldn't have much interest and might see it as gimmicky unless there’s a really compelling story reason. Then again, one of Lynch’s favorite directors, Hitchcock, did a “faked” long take movie, Rope.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

One of my favourite Lynchian shows, True Detective has an amazing tracking shot in the 4th episode. Maybe if the scene where Cooper and Harry rescue Audrey was shot in the current time, Lynch would have used that technique? The whole rescue operation could be a perfect example of a single long shot
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Good call on the Part 8 scenes. I checked out the approach on the Fireman’s. I believe you’re including what I call the “flying paintballs” shot in your total. I’d argue that there is an edit in there when we fade from that shot to the ocean, and you’re also including approximately sevens of darkness at the end of the pan-in, which is also sort of a cheat. Without those, I clock it at 2:32. But I like where your head’s at, and I’ll accept it with an asterisk. ;)
True, but I thought the fade was slow enough to consider those two images were meant as a whole. Very much opposed to how say, Star Wars would do a fade between two scenes. The balls seem to be part of the ocean. As for the darkness, it's already there in the window when we first see it, and we're definitely supposed to still have the feeling we're still moving towards whatever is next.
Mr. Reindeer wrote:might see it as gimmicky
Agreed, he certainly isn't the kind of person who'd show off his directing skills just for the sake of it. I also doubt his trains of thought could maintain that kind of focus at this time of day.

@Krishnan. Hmmm, I should probably rewatch True Detective S1. It's been a while
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Agreed, that True Detective scene is great, as is the whole first season (and third season!).
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Not sure if this really counts, and it's definitely not the longest, but I love the pan over the donuts, with superimposed trees and other footage, ending with Laura's photograph, as they recap that night in Episode 8.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Things have been surprisingly slow on this board, given that we’re in a quarantine and we all have “no place to go...BUT HOME!”
Experiencing it as a parent that is now working from home, the lockdown has been very taxing and demanding, but everyone's situation is different. However, I'm here multiple times a day, every day, and am so thankful for the ongoing discussion. You've all had the most interesting things to say and the coolest stuff to share, granted so much insight into both the presentation and behind the scenes workings, and revealed a ton about the show's impact on how you view art, story, and even life. It's riveting!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

What's the longest scene in the series without a cut/with minimal cuts, not necessarily a tracking shot but a scene? Is it Audrey's first scene in the revival?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Just took a look at Episode 14. The Palmer house “What a Wonderful World” scene is 2:47 as a straight take. Slightly behind the Ben/Audrey Episode 1 scene by eleven seconds.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:09 pm What's the longest scene in the series without a cut/with minimal cuts, not necessarily a tracking shot but a scene? Is it Audrey's first scene in the revival?
Like just the longest continuous scene? No idea, but that scene is a good candidate. It runs for ten minutes and 41 seconds.