Peaks Fans Top 10 TV shows

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Re: Peaks Fans Top 10 TV shows

Post by DougieJones »

Histeria wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:48 am Bron/Broen
Dekalog
Ethos
Fleabag
Succession
Sharp Objects
The Fall
The Night Of
True Detective S3
WandaVision
The Night Of is a fantastic choice. I wish we could’ve seen James Gandolfini in John Turturro’s role though he would’ve been fantastic IMO but he sadly passed away after they filmed the pilot.
"Jade give two rides."
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Stavrogyn wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:26 am have you seen The Mandalorian, and what did you think of it?
Unfortunately no, I haven't. Primarily it was the matter of my incompetence in gaining contents from the internet ;-) I usually watch television on the television and I failed to find access to The Mandalorian - as silly as it sounds. From all I've heard, it seems to be something I should like a lot!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

BOB1 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:39 pm
Stavrogyn wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:26 am have you seen The Mandalorian, and what did you think of it?
Unfortunately no, I haven't. Primarily it was the matter of my incompetence in gaining contents from the internet ;-) I usually watch television on the television and I failed to find access to The Mandalorian - as silly as it sounds. From all I've heard, it seems to be something I should like a lot!
I would definitely recommend it! I enjoyed it from the beginning but still thought it was overhyped. However, it grew on me very quickly and now, after the first two seasons, I consider it one of the best installments in the whole franchise.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Stavrogyn wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:02 am
BOB1 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:39 pm
I would definitely recommend it! I enjoyed it from the beginning but still thought it was overhyped. However, it grew on me very quickly and now, after the first two seasons, I consider it one of the best installments in the whole franchise.
I'd agree with this. Since seeing the original trilogy as a kid, it is the first of anything Star Wars related to re-instill that childhood excitement in me. It's certainly a love letter to the franchise and it works brilliantly.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

The Mandalorian is ABC-style network TV quality television with a blockbuster movie budget.

Stunningly bland. The Bad Bunch has more artistic merit than 10 seasons of The Mandalorian's filler-as-fiat format.

Although I'll watch future Mando seasons, of course. Don't get me wrong. It's just so disappointing how they're capitulating to the online mob got everything post-Last Jedi when that film was the first time Star Wars was elevated beyond itself. Episode Nine was an act of artistic genocide.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Histeria wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:43 pm Although I'll watch future Mando seasons, of course. Don't get me wrong. It's just so disappointing how they're capitulating to the online mob got everything post-Last Jedi when that film was the first time Star Wars was elevated beyond itself. Episode Nine was an act of artistic genocide.
Isn't it interesting how J. J. Abrams has the talent to make every installment that came before him seem great compared to his own work? I actually think that his contribution to the Star Wars franchise could be considered almost positive, because it was only after The Force Awakens that many people realized how original George Lucas actually was, and consequently, compared to the sequel trilogy, it made the prequel trilogy look almost like art.

Then came The Last Jedi - which I considered utter trash. I never understood the praise; actually, I attribute it to Disney bribing the film critics. I had expectations from that film, because I respected Rian Johnson, especially because of his work on Breaking Bad, but to me, he died the day I saw that film. I haven't seen anything he made since. However, I would love to hear your opinion, Histeria, on why you thought that The Last Jedi "was the first time Star Wars was elevated beyond itself".

Finally, then came episode nine - the title of which I don't even want to write, because I don't want to disturb people nor get banned from the forum. It was, as you said, "an act of artistic genocide". Well put; with your permission, I will quote you in real life when that "film" pops up in conversation. However, as bad as it was, J. J. Abrams once again saved the day, because now even The Last Jedi, compared to episode nine, almost seems like a decent film.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Last edited by Histeria on Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Histeria wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:35 am Never thought I'd hear the "Disney bribes critics" conspiracy nonsense on a forum dedicated to an artwork by Lynch.
Histeria, I just want to say one thing before commenting on Star Wars any further: I did not mean to offend you in any way. I would not want to offend anyone on this forum, and especially not you, since I consider you one of my favourite posters here. So I am sorry for that.

Regarding The Last Jedi: I don't think that I am necessarily right; I do tend to change my opinions. There were films that I hated, but then I watched them again and loved them. And vice versa. This is why I asked you why do you think that The Last Jedi was "the first time Star Wars was elevated beyond itself"; I am genuinely interested in hearing your opinion.

As for the bribe thing, it is neither something I truly believe in nor have I put much thought into it. It was just an exaggeration I used to express how stunned I was when I realized that the critics actually liked that film, because I cannot fathom in what way was it so much better than, for example, The Phantom Menace.

So, once again, I am sorry if I upset you or offended you. It is more difficult to conduct discussions online than in real life, where my kind of discourse, which often tends to be over the top, would not be taken as seriously. However, if a short confrontation between us had to happen, at least it was about Star Wars, which is something I am still very passionate about, despite many disappointments - hence my somewhat extreme opinions.

P.S. I always loved a good conspiracy theory :D
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

I have finally seen Loki. My feelings are mixed. I think the series is great aesthetically, especially its music, colours, and the retro elements, like the animation explaining the TVA. I also liked the characters and the performances, as well as the Loki-Sylvie romance (I hope season eight ends with them settling in a little house somewhere in suburbia, with a few adopted children because, well, they shouldn't have their own).

However, I'm not thrilled with the direction the story took. It's still fun and intriguing, but it started as a kind of dystopian sci-fi thriller - which is my kind of thing - and then rapidly transformed into fantasy - which I'm not a fan of. I think the first two episodes were the best.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Stavrogyn wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:12 pm However, I'm not thrilled with the direction the story took. It's still fun and intriguing, but it started as a kind of dystopian sci-fi thriller - which is my kind of thing - and then rapidly transformed into fantasy - which I'm not a fan of. I think the first two episodes were the best.
I think this is a really big problem with the MCU in general. They start with some interesting premises but then quickly everything smooths out into a formula that often, by the end of it, abandons what was distinguishing about the premise. It feels like anything unique or fresh is treated only as a gateway into the familiar, or a tease to be disposed of. They're probably never going to get close to the experimentalism of, say, Grant Morrison's run of Animal Man. There are so many bonkers, narratively revolutionary risks taken in comic form, but I don't think financiers will ever let anyone touch that with a ten foot pole.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

AXX°N N. wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:55 am They're probably never going to get close to the experimentalism of, say, Grant Morrison's run of Animal Man.
Or Glen A. Larson and Donald R. Boyle's Manimal. :lol:

(Did anyone expect Manimal to come up in this thread?)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Last edited by Histeria on Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Histeria wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:31 am Just realised I forgot to reply to this when you quoted my post in the other thread. I hope you didn't think I was holding a grudge!
To be frank, I actually did think you were holding a grudge, so I'm very happy to hear that you're not :D
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Just finished the first season of Peaky Blinders. At first I thought - well nice, beautifully stylised but perhaps overstylised as much as the Diane Keaton episode ;-). However, the more I watched, the more I liked it and now I like it a lot.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

My list - somewhat updated:

1. Twin Peaks (easily has the top place, primarily the original series, I'm 50/50 on The Return but I still do like parts of it despite my criticisms of it)
2. Lost (not so much the last season or some of its frustrating loose ends but still think it was great)

^ Top two. The ones I think about the most.

3. Frasier (top sitcom, very intelligently written especially by sitcom standards, performed beautifully)
4. Dexter (including revival and in particular Seasons 1, 2, 4, and 7)
5. Northern Exposure (currently rewatching, a lighter Twin Peaks but very much in the same world imo - have previously seen all of it)
6. Wings (never as big a hit as its counterparts, but great little underrated show from makers of Frasier and Cheers)
7. China Beach (currently watching - only saw bits and pieces as a kid, love it but can get depressing)
8. Monk (primarily for Tony Shaloub's performance and character even if the storylines themselves are hit and miss, sometimes ingenious, sometimes very TV)
9. Carnivale (only 2 seasons, cancelled - can see most TP fans liking it)

10. There's a handful of 80's/90's sitcoms I like in addition to Frasier and Wings so any of these could fill this slot - Seinfeld or 3rd Rock from the Sun or Friends or Cheers or The Golden Girls, maybe even Ellen (the original 90's sitcom, not the talkshow). I also like Curb Your Enthusiasm (not a sitcom really though can be sitcom-like) very much. I think Seinfeld and it are probably better written than the others, but I enjoy them all. I never think of myself as a sitcom person and certainly don't like modern ones but I do like these ones from that period so there you go.

-----

Shows I want to get back to: Due South / Fringe / Person of Interest

Shows I want to watch but haven't got around to: The Leftovers + many more

Shows I gave up on but liked at the beginning or some seasons: American Horror Story (very hit and miss), Weeds, Homeland (I hear Seasons 4 onwards are good but I only ever watched up to 3 and my To Watch list is too long to think I'll get back to it anytime soon), The Americans (love both actors but for some reason never made it past Episode 2, though I'm sure I'll like it)

There's a lot of high-calibre critically-lauded shows I've never seen but that I'm sure are good - Succession, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones. For some reason many of these slipped me by or didn't appeal to me for one reason or another but I don't doubt they're probably stellar. I think I was often just too focused on rewatching the above older shows to get into them. (I rewatch a lot.)

-----

DougieJones wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:10 pm
Histeria wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:48 am Bron/Broen
Dekalog
Ethos
Fleabag
Succession
Sharp Objects
The Fall
The Night Of
True Detective S3
WandaVision
The Night Of is a fantastic choice. I wish we could’ve seen James Gandolfini in John Turturro’s role though he would’ve been fantastic IMO but he sadly passed away after they filmed the pilot.
Never heard of The Night Of but it sounds really great. Sigh. Guess that's another one on the list. And Sharp Objects has been on it for awhile. I never saw Season 3 of The Fall. I felt done after Season 2 and haven't had a desire to go back for some reason. I only ever saw S1 of True Detective.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.