Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jonah »

It's often strange to witness how even certain seemingly innocuous topics can become highly charged political talking points but given the times we live in I suppose anything can become a contentious issue, especially online. I've even gotten a bit carried away or taken offense on here (when I shouldn't have) once or twice by overreacting or misreading things. Though, like you Mr. Reindeer, I usually try to stay out of things like that.

Another reason, if the powers to be are reading this thread, to announce the new series or season and take the egde of us. ;) Tensions are running high waiting for news - throw us a bone, Sabrina and co! :lol:

Edit - removed some examples I had used so as not to trigger talking points about those issues.
Last edited by Jonah on Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Jonah wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:14 pm I'm not sure discussing diversity in terms of casting is necessarily political though, is it? I know a poster made it political by discussing "the left", but everyone else pretty much kept it to diversity. I stayed out of it apart from posting one post a couple of pages after it had died down, but while it was going on I saw others saying they didn't want the conversation to go in a political direction, that they weren't American and it didn't apply to them. I'm pretty sure we can discuss diversity or the lack thereof in the casting and other stuff like that. By discuss, I don't mean the thread should detour into pages and pages of that kind of thing like it did - but if we mention it or topics like that from time to time (in a respectful way, of course), I imagine that would be okay? Is it Jerry? I mean, I don't consider that political stuff - though probably it's also best to keep it to a minimum or threads that are focused on that topic in particular.

(I never understood why certain topics - race, even face masks, etc. - tend to veer into politics. No offense to my American friends, but is it more of a US thing? Or just an internet thing? )
I wasn't sure if posts had been deleted that were more overtly political? But discussion about presentation of race in Lynch's work is surely just as valid as talking about gender, just not in this thread ideally! Apologies if I in any way stoked the flames by replying to one of the early comments - at the time talk about Netflix production practices possibly at odds with Lynch seemed relevant, but the conversation was always dangerously close to boiling over into being something else and I'm assuming it did so.

Anyway, back to those pesky pink flowers...
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

It's not your fault Metamorphia that people can't have polite discussions. That's the fault of our culture.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:19 pm I think the question of Lynch and race is a discussion worth having, and an interesting one—and I agree with Jonah, I don’t think it’s an inherently political topic at all. I’m pretty sure I’ve also brought it up in the past. Unfortunately, tensions are just too high on racial issues right now, at least in the US, and every time this conversation happens on here, it inevitably gets politicized very quickly. I learned to just steer clear of it. More’s the pity, because as I said, I do think there is some great discussion to be had and it’s certainly a nuanced and fascinating part of his canon. But probably not worth even trying, in my experience. (Not pointing fingers at anyone; just a general observation after seeing this topic crash and burn repeatedly whenever it’s brought up on here.)
Yeah, me too, I steer clear of it, plus there's really nothing new to add.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Metamorphia wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:31 pm
Jonah wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:14 pm I'm not sure discussing diversity in terms of casting is necessarily political though, is it? I know a poster made it political by discussing "the left", but everyone else pretty much kept it to diversity. I stayed out of it apart from posting one post a couple of pages after it had died down, but while it was going on I saw others saying they didn't want the conversation to go in a political direction, that they weren't American and it didn't apply to them. I'm pretty sure we can discuss diversity or the lack thereof in the casting and other stuff like that. By discuss, I don't mean the thread should detour into pages and pages of that kind of thing like it did - but if we mention it or topics like that from time to time (in a respectful way, of course), I imagine that would be okay? Is it Jerry? I mean, I don't consider that political stuff - though probably it's also best to keep it to a minimum or threads that are focused on that topic in particular.

(I never understood why certain topics - race, even face masks, etc. - tend to veer into politics. No offense to my American friends, but is it more of a US thing? Or just an internet thing? )
I wasn't sure if posts had been deleted that were more overtly political? But discussion about presentation of race in Lynch's work is surely just as valid as talking about gender, just not in this thread ideally! Apologies if I in any way stoked the flames by replying to one of the early comments - at the time talk about Netflix production practices possibly at odds with Lynch seemed relevant, but the conversation was always dangerously close to boiling over into being something else and I'm assuming it did so.
Without naming names, I think someone insisted on bringing "the left" into it, and then others had to argue that point. Otherwise, I don't think it was a political discussion, though discussions like that can often veer in that directon. I too agree that discussions on race and sexuality, and in regards to Lynch's work, are relevant and valid if threads are created for those specific discussions, then if they turn political, I suppose a moderator could intervene? I think most people would agree on that?
Last edited by Jonah on Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Lately I’ve been wondering the extent to which this new project (if it is in fact Twin Peaks related) will feel aesthetically and tonally similar to season 3. I’d always assumed any new season would be a radically different beast; perhaps shorter and focussed on a smaller number of characters. Like a lot of people I’d envisioned a kind of continuation of Part 18 in some respects, but I also expected the overall approach to feel as dissimilar from season 3 as that season did to the original series. But with people like Amy Shiels and Balthazar Getty hinting at their involvement, I’m starting to wonder if a fourth season will continue the fragmented narrative approach of its predecessor, jumping between the stories of Red and Shelley, the Mitchums, Janey E and the new Dougie etc.

Could this new series effectively be season 2 of The Return, and if so, would that be a disappointment? As shocking as the slow pace and otherworldly elements of the season 2 premiere were to viewers at the time, it was still largely a continuation of season 1’s approach to mood and storytelling, as one would expect from the sophomore season of a network drama. Is it too much to expect a new season to feel like another Lynch movie entirely, with its own approach to visuals, pacing, and structure? Or would anything less than a total departure be out of character for Lynch at this point in his career?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Metamorphia wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:31 pm
Anyway, back to those pesky pink flowers...
So where do we all stand, now that Mary Reber has joined the rest of the "Wisteria Club" (see the page before this one or the one before that for a list of its other members - about 8 in total) - cast members having fun but not in the know, or they're in the know and are hinting to fans (with David and Sabrina's approval) that something is brewing?
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

She already joined the wisteria club months ago. Before Kyle, if I remember correctly.

This was her second go.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Jonah wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:14 pm I'm not sure discussing diversity in terms of casting is necessarily political though, is it?
In my opinion, no. However, as others have said since, many people love to conflate the two these days.

Anyway, back to Wisteria, Unrecorded Night and Twin Peaks Season Four.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

I’m hopeful that the Reber post means Lynch will again film at the Palmer House in Snoqualmie. Although I wouldn’t put it past him to fly her to LA for filming instead.

I wonder if Netlfix will market this as a “limited series”, or what? Kind of new territory.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

enumbs wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:40 pm Lately I’ve been wondering the extent to which this new project (if it is in fact Twin Peaks related) will feel aesthetically and tonally similar to season 3. I’d always assumed any new season would be a radically different beast; perhaps shorter and focussed on a smaller number of characters. Like a lot of people I’d envisioned a kind of continuation of Part 18 in some respects, but I also expected the overall approach to feel as dissimilar from season 3 as that season did to the original series. But with people like Amy Shiels and Balthazar Getty hinting at their involvement, I’m starting to wonder if a fourth season will continue the fragmented narrative approach of its predecessor, jumping between the stories of Red and Shelley, the Mitchums, Janey E and the new Dougie etc.

Could this new series effectively be season 2 of The Return, and if so, would that be a disappointment? As shocking as the slow pace and otherworldly elements of the season 2 premiere were to viewers at the time, it was still largely a continuation of season 1’s approach to mood and storytelling, as one would expect from the sophomore season of a network drama. Is it too much to expect a new season to feel like another Lynch movie entirely, with its own approach to visuals, pacing, and structure? Or would anything less than a total departure be out of character for Lynch at this point in his career?
Great questions. For a while, the one thing that I was "sure" about was that if there was more Twin Peaks, it would be a shorter, tighter affair. I feel that the full 18-hour approach is purposeful and poignant in its documentation of time's passage--it all makes sense (to me). With the core themes of The Return out of the way, I had expected a new season to feel more visceral, different in general.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

madeleineferguson wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:58 pm I’m hopeful that the Reber post means Lynch will again film at the Palmer House in Snoqualmie. Although I wouldn’t put it past him to fly her to LA for filming instead.
I believe the original rumours indicated no sign of Washington shoot dates - but they could have been kept out of that document (assuming the person posting was legit) or not finalized yet. I also wouldn't be surprised, given the pandemic, if Lynch decided to shoot mostly in LA and if this is more Twin Peaks sends crews to Washington for addiitonal footage.
Jerry Horne wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:57 pm Anyway, back to Wisteria, Unrecorded Night and Twin Peaks Season Four.
We're all still wondering if they're one and the same - or not? Let the speculation continue!
Last edited by Jonah on Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

People are bound to go a bit batty and off topic with no new news, especially with the month of May come and gone...

DL himself addressed race head on with the home made Black Lives Matters sign in his weather report for all the world to see, and there was an interview last summer in the Daily Beast -
'Lynch, for his part, says that while “it would be wrong to put someone in a role for any other reason than they are perfect for the part,” he also “understands the frustration if people aren’t welcome to the table.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/david-lyn ... quarantine

we're all works in progress.

Handmaids Tale Finale for S4 dropped today. Not as obvious and blatant as Walking Dead, but you can tell covid has had implications with production. A lot of solo shots, monologues and tight close ups in Handmaids, people staying respectful distances away, limited crowd shots, empty streets.

edit - found the interview .
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Is it out of the question that Lynch could use footage from the Return in the new series, whatever it is? Does Showtime own that footage, or Lynch?

I could be mistaken, but it would seem to me that one could easily get outdoor drone footage without being noticed. There was a bunch of that in the Return.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I think footage from the Return would require a licensing fee be paid to Showtime/CBS if not made for Showtime/CBS.

I believe canthaveit posted that he saw the location list pre covid and saw no WA locations.
I 'm in the Unrecorded Night isn't TP camp.