Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

ringbearer
Roadhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by ringbearer »

Jerry Horne said:
So I was overthinking it when I thought that the "...not the day it was baked" referred to the original announcement that had to be scrapped due to Covid, and "but the day after, when you get a slice of cherry pie out of the refrigerator" refers to the same delayed announcement we are getting tomorrow? ;)
Hey Jerry, in the spirit of overthinking things (which I imagine we are all doing at the minute), how's this....

Lynch directed a Duran Duran concert film.
Duran Duran released a single a couple days ago.
The single is a cover of a Philip Jeffries song called Five years.
Five years since Twin Tweets :D
"I like to remember things my own way." Fred Madison
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

ringbearer wrote:
Jerry Horne said:
So I was overthinking it when I thought that the "...not the day it was baked" referred to the original announcement that had to be scrapped due to Covid, and "but the day after, when you get a slice of cherry pie out of the refrigerator" refers to the same delayed announcement we are getting tomorrow? ;)
Hey Jerry, in the spirit of overthinking things (which I imagine we are all doing at the minute), how's this....

Lynch directed a Duran Duran concert film.
Duran Duran released a single a couple days ago.
The single is a cover of a Philip Jeffries song called Five years.
Five years since Twin Tweets :D
Do you mean the Lynch/ Frost twin tweets from 2014 of 'It is happening again'? That's getting on for 7 years ago now.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
ringbearer
Roadhouse Member

Post by ringbearer »

Ha! Completely mis-remembered!
Thanks.....as I say a lot of us are completely overthinking at the minute :lol:

Am clutching at straws here!
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Its a real connection you'd made though. Took a second for me to realise you meant David Bowie (Jeffries). Is that track a good one? Did Duran Duran do a good cover of it?

In terms of an 80s-music related connection, a-ha (famous to some mainly for Take On Me) asked Lynch to do a video for them - one track they sent was Sycamore Leaves - their songwriter actually thought Lynch had been closely inspired by their song in the creation of Sycamore Trees - although this was musically composed by Badalamenti mainly I presume. It went to court. I think Lynch may have been lyrically inspired but that's all. a-ha have done some great rock-pop beyond their most famous or whimsical tunes.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
ringbearer
Roadhouse Member

Post by ringbearer »

The song is great; and Duran Duran did a great job on the cover. Le Bon's vocal is as strong as ever!

Was not aware of the A-ha situation.... I suppose we get inspiration from everywhere sub-consciously, but it does sound coincidental.

Plagarism lawsuits have become quite the thing in recent years in pop/rock music.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I’m guessing we are getting a Lynch cut of Season 3 like the Snyder cut for Justice League
ringbearer
Roadhouse Member

Post by ringbearer »

...or a Festival of Disruption BluRay set :D
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

3.5 hours to go!! Let’s all try to guess what could the announcement be. My guess is that Lynch might just say that he will be away from his YouTube channel for a while. Don’t think he will say that he is working on a TV show or whatever.
ringbearer
Roadhouse Member

Post by ringbearer »

If that were the case, I don't think he'd have 'announced' the announcement...
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

If he announces the Netflix thing, then we may also get an official Netflix press release. If this was about Twin Peaks and on Showtime and if there was going to be some small teaser today, I don’t think it will happen today. Was checking the official Twin peaks YouTube channel today, and they still have 22 videos. A lot of times production companies upload the YouTube videos and make it private and only after the official statement they make it public. But YouTube still counts the private video. If anytime in the future the YouTube channel says 23 videos , then we know that something is going to happen
ringbearer
Roadhouse Member

Post by ringbearer »

With Sabrina Sutherland working closely with him on his channel etc.... I think he will be officially announcing Unrecorded Night/Wisteria. It's at a point now where addressing it is for the best. Online speculation is growing almost daily, and 'putting the word out' a day before announcing something is quite telling. I personally believe the series is connected to Peaks anyway...
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

NormoftheAndes wrote:Its a real connection you'd made though. Took a second for me to realise you meant David Bowie (Jeffries). Is that track a good one? Did Duran Duran do a good cover of it?

In terms of an 80s-music related connection, a-ha (famous to some mainly for Take On Me) asked Lynch to do a video for them - one track they sent was Sycamore Leaves - their songwriter actually thought Lynch had been closely inspired by their song in the creation of Sycamore Trees - although this was musically composed by Badalamenti mainly I presume. It went to court. I think Lynch may have been lyrically inspired but that's all. a-ha have done some great rock-pop beyond their most famous or whimsical tunes.
The Duran cover of Five Years is very well done, I like it. But I meant to reply here regarding Sycamore Leaves. Yes, it showed up on a-ha's "East of the Sun, West of the Moon" album (the title track is awesome), but that record was not that well produced in my opinion. The point is, Savoy (which is the side project of a-ha guitarist and lead composer, and his wife) covered Sycamore Leaves later on, and it sounds (in my opinion again) way better (and very ominious) compared to the original a-ha version).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN2PLoaqNMA

(I am not embedding the video here so we keep the thread focused on the news, but the link is still above.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

I don't think it's Peaks but other than that i've no idea
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

It could just be an official announcement of UNRECORDED NIGHT with no indication of what it is.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Rainwater wrote:
BGate wrote:I just think it's silly to set yourself up to be disappointed by "David Lynch is being given a bunch of money to make an entirely new, original series/film."
Disappointed? Ha!
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but personally, as excited as I'd be for more Twin Peaks, I think I'd be even more excited for an entirely new series/film project.
Same! I know this is a Twin Peaks board and all, but I can't imagine being disappointed that it's not Twin Peaks. Twin Peaks already has the mother of all endings. I should also clarify that I'd be excited if it were Twin Peaks as well, and would love to see what new ending would be devised to top what we already have. But yeah, I'd welcome something totally new...although as I've said before, what he did with The Return proves that more Twin Peaks could essentially function just as much as a totally new thing as any actually new thing. I guess I'm saying that I have no preference!