Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

PeteMartell

Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by PeteMartell »

What do you think? Lots of shows have more than 3 seasons. Do you think Lynch and Frost will keep twin peaks going after this? I, personally, would LOVE it if they would. I'm sure there are a lot of opinions about whether they should or shouldn't...just wondering if anyone has heard anything about their plans for the future?
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by dkenny78 »

I think this is the end. Season 3 took, I believe, 6 years to develop, negotiate, write, shoot, and post-produce. Unless they drastically change the approach to future seasons (reduced episode order, multiple directors, episodes shot in units as opposed to one long movie), I don't see how they could churn out more on an annual or even bi-annual basis. And the ratings haven't been spectacular - even though the digital and on-demand viewing has been high, I don't believe the show is sustaining Showtime's life blood in the same way Game of Thrones sustains HBO. I doubt Nevins is throwing money at Lynch so he can keep his network afloat.

How this informs the ending of this season is anyone's guess. Personally, I would like more closure than the S2 finale, but I don't want EVERYTHING wrapped up in a neat little bow. I'd be fine with them leaving the door a little bit open for something down the line, but I don't want a cliffhanger.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I'm guessing the end, but with room for spinoffs.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Lynch himself has hinted recently that he'd be - conditionally, true, but still - interested in continuing it, so there's that.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Agent Earle wrote:Lynch himself has hinted recently that he'd be - conditionally, true, but still - interested in continuing it, so there's that.
All Lynch has said is "never say never." He spent many years maintaining that a 3rd season would never happen, that Twin Peaks was as "dead as a doornail," etc. So, he has learned his lesson. I believe he is being 100% genuine when he simply says that if an idea for more should come along that he falls in love with, he would not hesitate to follow it. And, who knows, it may even happen one day!

I seriously doubt, though, that we can expect more Twin Peaks to happen soon or on any regular schedule.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Weren't there some reports about Lynch fidgeting with a camera after this current season has ceased production?
I wouldn't be surprised if the man was locations-scouting already. :D
PeteMartell

Post by PeteMartell »

Wow. That's great to hear. At least there is a glimmer of hope. Well, if showtime isn't behind renewing it, maybe there's at least potential for another film, maybe something analogous to Fire walk with me. Spinoffs sound cool too. Maybe a twin peaks / better call Saul concept. Better call Dougie? Or just "Better Call for Help"?
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Agent Earle wrote:Weren't there some reports about Lynch fidgeting with a camera after this current season has ceased production?
I wouldn't be surprised if the man was locations-scouting already. :D
My personal hope is that this project has given DKL the filmmaking bug again and that inspiration for something (Twin Peaks-related or not) strikes soon. And I hope that TPTR is considered successful enough by industry standards that Lynch can find the funding and creative control he requires to get it made. Whatever form it takes (another limited series, something feature-length), I'll be there with bells on!
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

I'm perfectly happy with this season being the end. It's more than I could have hoped for: Mark Frost and David Lynch coming together and creating something with total creative freedom. It's a very rare thing to see in the modern television market, and I'd only be interested in more seasons if the same conditions were met, which seems extremely unlikely.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

From what I can tell, if Showtime requested more Twin Peaks, there would be more Twin Peaks.

I'm not sure why this thread isn't in the Season 3 section. I don't want to accidentally write something that could be considered a spoiler, or otherwise be hamstrung by such considerations, so I'm going to address it in a more detailed manner in another thread (with spoilers) where the subject has arisen:

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 4&start=30
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

I'm quite sure this will be it. Apparently the show drastically differs from what Showtime originally envisioned and the ratings haven't been that good. I'm fine with only one season.
The cow jumped over the moon.
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Post by dkenny78 »

Pöllö wrote:I'm quite sure this will be it. Apparently the show drastically differs from what Showtime originally envisioned and the ratings haven't been that good. I'm fine with only one season.
This is the first I've heard of the series differing from what Showtime envisioned. I don't doubt that being the case, but from where did you get that info?
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Pöllö wrote:I'm quite sure this will be it. Apparently the show drastically differs from what Showtime originally envisioned and the ratings haven't been that good. I'm fine with only one season.
The first part is simply not true. Showtime wanted Lynch to have creative control and complete his vision. The ratings are indeed bad.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Pöllö wrote:Apparently the show drastically differs from what Showtime originally envisioned
Literally no evidence of this.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

From what I recall, execs at Showtime, or at least Nevins, read the original script. This doesn't take into account the directing choices made during filming, but Lynch has said that the story was really finished with Mark, and that any improvisations made up perhaps 20% of the final product.

Frost seems to be very happy and proud of the result, so I don't think he feels Lynch trammeled all over their written vision, and why would he? Lynch was there for the entire writing process. Contrast this with Lynch's radical (and awesome) changes to the script of episode 29. Frost was very vocal that he didn't like the Frost/Peyton/Engels script being changed so much, which I completely understand, even though I'm personally glad that it was changed. Writing a script is hard work, and even if a lot of us don't like that script compared to the filmed version, it's nonetheless obvious that writing it entailed a lot of effort.

The most radical thing I can find from Nevins on the subject of the result is that “It’s the pure heroin version of David Lynch.” that rewards repeated viewings.