Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Histeria »

Frost transfered management of the company to Lynch. Not ownership. California does not require the disclosure of ownsership in company shares on its public database (as far as I could tell). It does require the disclosure of shares being issued but that was then. We cannot tell if Frost still owns his shares based on that filing alone. And even if he doesn't, we can't be sure they didn't just transfer the IP to another holding company before transferring ownership of Twin Peaks Productions to Lynch.

The filing was submitted on 23 Feb 2020. A Frost interview after this date on the Twin Peaks Unwrapped podcast had him stating "me and David own Twin Peaks" and confirmed he still has veto over it. He also responded in March 2020 to a question on Season Four by saying "it's too early to say. That's the easiest way I can answer that question at the moment."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Histeria wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:27 pm He also responded in March 2020 to a question on Season Four by saying "it's too early to say. That's the easiest way I can answer that question at the moment."
Interesting.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Jonah wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:34 pm
Histeria wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:27 pm He also responded in March 2020 to a question on Season Four by saying "it's too early to say. That's the easiest way I can answer that question at the moment."
Interesting.
EP161, March 2 and EP164, March 17, respectively.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

It's still interesting that he transferred management - it implies a bit of stepping back with consent to let Lynch proceed as he wants to (at least for now), like he did with FWWM. It doesn't meant that is what's going on, but it does seem to imply something like that - otherwise why would he do that? It seems like he's content to let Lynch continue the story on his own (for now), and may have also contributed creative ideas or is taking a hands-off but not entirely uninvolved approach and may also not be giving up his stake entirely in the show, just letting a new season proceed under Lynch. It could also be the case if this new project is just TP-related/adjacent (not a direct Season 4, but follows some of the characters/anthology-type thing).

Somewhat related - I wonder if could be some sort of extended version of FWWM - a movie or miniseries following Richard/Carrie, with the option to bring it back to a more Frost/Lynch season another time. (Or some of it is like this, the rest is original Lynch projects, if it's a series of mini-movies as the original rumour said.)
Last edited by Jonah on Wed May 05, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Exactly. I can't really see a way for this transer of directorship to point towards there being nothing planned. Seems the opposite to me (if it points any way at all).

In any case, the guys behind that podcast who have interviewed practically everyone who ever worked on Twin Peaks seem very very confident that S4 is coming. But I may be misinterpreting things https://twitter.com/DamnFineJava/status ... 16453?s=19
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Re: Lynch/Frost collaborating on S4

I'd prefer they worked together, but something tells me they don't even agree on what happened in the final scene of Season 3.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Yeah. It's very impressive how they co-wrote something that supports both their wildly contradictory interpretations. It's one thing to interpret a text differently when decoding it as readers, much harder to encode the text that way.

BTW, anyone heard Take The Ring's Sheryl Lee interview from late 2019 that was published last month? She seems to hint at something being announced at Graceland 2020.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Histeria wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:14 pm Yeah. It's very impressive how they co-wrote something that supports both their wildly contradictory interpretations. It's one thing to interpret a text differently when decoding it as readers, much harder to encode the text that way.

BTW, anyone heard Take The Ring's Sheryl Lee interview from late 2019 that was published last month? She seems to hint at something being announced at Graceland 2020.
Can you share what she said?
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Jonah wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:33 pm
Histeria wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:14 pm Yeah. It's very impressive how they co-wrote something that supports both their wildly contradictory interpretations. It's one thing to interpret a text differently when decoding it as readers, much harder to encode the text that way.

Can you share what she said?
It's a private Patreon video and I wouldn't know how. I'll watch again later to transcribe it when I can get to a PC. From what I recall it wasn't what she said but more the way she said it, but it just seemed like there was something planned for Graceland that many people hinted at in 2019 and we never got to find out because of Covid.

When listening to this interview last month I remember finding it funny that it was recorded at the same time these percieved hints started popping up all over the place.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

It definitely felt back then that all the social media posts were hints and teases leading to an announcement.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

As for management lapsing to Lynch exclusively, couldn't that just be because it's more convenient? He has more funds than Frost (I assume) and experience in several of his own production companies, not to mention a (short-lived) record label and his meditation foundation.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Cappy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:03 pm Re: Lynch/Frost collaborating on S4

I'd prefer they worked together, but something tells me they don't even agree on what happened in the final scene of Season 3.
I'm pretty sure Lynch doesn't have a definitive answer to what happened there.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

But didn’t say in an interview that the final scene at the Palmer house was decided long time ago.
My feeling is that they deliberately left a lot of plot points open for a possible sequel
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

From what I've read on here, I think the only thing they didn't completely connect on was the Richard/Lynda thing. The rest of the ending was mostly collaborative (wasn't it?), though Lynch may have taken things a bit further in the filming or added little touches here and there.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

https://twitter.com/fatecolossal/status ... 76459?s=19

Interesting comments by Dern that would suggest they're being cautious about starting production to avoid costly stoppages if there's another Covid-19 flare-up.

If, of course, she's referring referring Lynch at all when saying "friends."