Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by bob_wooler »

enumbs wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:24 am A ray of hope in Lynch’s weather report today - “Two words: think positive.”
Think Positive (TP) 8)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

bob_wooler wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:15 pm
Think Positive (TP) 8)
Ha! Nice.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Good to have the thread back. Appreciate the new rules. Let's just hope something happens soon that we can get our teeth into.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I just love this thread being active. Even if we have few crumbs to chew on, it's always nice to wake up and see a few more pages to wade through.

I'm still in the "we won't hear anything soon but something is definitely going on" camp.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Interesting FateColossal tweet that was put out

https://twitter.com/fatecolossal/status ... 10404?s=21
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Am I missing something here? Why would "the flowers have arrived" on a piece of Lynch art indicate production on a new series as seems to be implied? Is it implied to also be a connection to the previous wisteria posts? I don't know, feels like another reach to me. If anything, it feels like that statement is about the picture itself - i.e. a statement within the art itself, the figure with a gun, etc.. I know it was shared by Sabrina, but still. Unless I'm reading it wrong?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

The more interesting one was him name namechecking 1958 (as opposed to just citing a song from that year) and another Platters song in the report today.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern to the lithography. If anything, it usually follows the listing order of a site that sells his artwork. That's not to say she can't change the order to insert works with more connotations, but that's conjecture.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

the flowers have arrived, yeah, it's just a punchline in the art. has a noir connotation to it. the flower delivery guy is probably a hitman and he's ready for him.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

I don't believe that this has been mentioned, but a new Game of Thrones spin-off just halted production due to COVID. I think it's only supposed to be on hiatus a couple days, but still. Seems like a nightmare out there. Simply processing this from the perspective of someone who really just wants Lynch to create, and especially knowing that he was seemingly gearing up to do so, it's just draining to watch this go on like this. I hope his spirits stay high.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I hear ya Late Reg. I was trying to keep my hopes up for a What Did Jack Do style production, but then I thought even something micro budget, like two vaccinated actors and a cameraman and a sound person would have to be regularly tested for covid, sounds like such a chore.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

LateReg wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:31 am I don't believe that this has been mentioned, but a new Game of Thrones spin-off just halted production due to COVID. I think it's only supposed to be on hiatus a couple days, but still. Seems like a nightmare out there. Simply processing this from the perspective of someone who really just wants Lynch to create, and especially knowing that he was seemingly gearing up to do so, it's just draining to watch this go on like this. I hope his spirits stay high.
I also wonder how many actors want to film sex scenes in the time of COVID?

Although I guess some would have been happy without the Coop/Diane scene in the hotel room!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

It's definitely worrying, but overall film and television productions seem to be faring very well. For every production that we hear of being closed down (usually only temporarily), dozens more are shooting without having to close down, without outbreaks, or with minor outbreaks. They filmed the new Scream movie mostly in a studio, not even outdoors apart from a few scenes, without closing down. They had one small outbreak, I think. They're filming the new Indiana Jones movie in the UK (Scotland mostly at the moment) with a close to 60-year-old director and close to 80-year-old star (who injured his shoulder, but that's another story). The show Big Sky which is ABC's latest attempt at a "new Twin Peaks" (I enjoyed some or most of it, but it's far from TP) managed to finish its first season of 16 episodes. They filmed a new Jurassic World movie. And a new season of Dexter. Not to mention numerous daily tv shows, some shooting remotely, some not. There's countless other movies and shows in production, so the above is just a small handful of examples that I'm familiar with.

All I'm saying is I'm not sure the pandemic and the variants are necessarily the only reason Unrecorded Night/Wisteria is delayed. Lynch's age is a concern and him being a lifelong smoker, but other people his age (some of whom might be smokers too, I don't know) are out there, shooting. Maybe he's deciding not to because of these concerns and that's definitely a very valid choice. I'm just not sure if it's the reason (or the only reason). Maybe there are other issues or maybe they've even been secretly shooting. Unlikely but you never know.

Going back to what we were discussing about remote directing, I think he could do some really interesting things with that. Even just having one actor in a room that he directs remotely could produce some very interesting Lynchian scenes. So maybe a little of that is or has been going on. Probably not a larger scale production just yet, though.

But yeah, it's definitely worrying, reports indicating that even fully vaccinated people are getting it - there's been a rise in cases in my country and many countries. So if Lynch or co. is deciding to delay things for now due to all that it's definitely understandable and sensible. For the most part, though, productions seem to be proceeding at a surprising rate. Both in and outside of Hollywood.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

yeah, a lot of these bigger productions appear to have regular covid testing in place. DL has often said he likes having to work within limitations. Hotel Room could definitely be made in this environment.

If he really has the backing of Netflix, they should be able to provide a comprehensive testing schedule, procedures. I think What Did Jack Do / Three R's et all was made really micro, and that's a lot of responsibility on Lynch and Sabrina's shoulders to make sure production participants are up to date with vaccines/ getting tested/ documentation.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

He might even be able to do some micro productions - or micro parts of a major production - with some sort of remote set-up, have actors filming themselves, only use people he knows, etc. But if Netflix is involved, then it's definitely less of a problem, unless he himself is more concerned for his health - in which case maybe the remote directing would be a possibility for him.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

watching the BTS, it's kind of hard imagining him doing remote direction. He is there personally touching up the makeup of Miriam to make her look bloodier. It feels it would almost be like him asking someone to paint a picture for him, and trying to guide their strokes over Zoom.

Then again, Warren Frost was directed remotely I presume. I don't remember the complete story behind that. Maybe Mark actually directed his dad.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly