Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Jonah »

Hmmm. I don't know. They too could be saving face and a smile can mean lots of things. "Coyly" is just the interviewer's interpretation. People smile when they know it's all one big joke too. They're still confirming they're not showing it though?

One thing I will say that I don't like - Variety seems to be leaning into this a lot rather than retracting/clarifying. So either they're confident in their sources or else they just feel it was rumours but justified by "predictions" in the article headline. The mention of social media reactions, though... It feels like they're having fun with this and enjoying the controversy and it all just makes it seems like clickbait and they're interested in generating buzz. It comes across like a publication that delights in rumour, not the Variety that is known to be so reliable. Are they changing? Are they becoming more gossipy-focused or do they know something/trust their sources? No idea. Just throwing some questions out there. A year ago, maybe two years ago, and 400 pages ago, I'd be more optimistic. I'm much more skeptical (and jaded) now than the person who kept trying to keep this thread alive way back then. But honestly I just don't know what to think.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:15 pm Not doubting this but remember that there will be some saving face going on too.
For sure. But what I've witnessed doesn't feel like typical face-saving behavior. Not yet, anyway. Maybe people still trying to get to the bottom of it before they save face, I'd be inclined to believe that. But so far it's slippery in here.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

"We don't talk about films are are not showing" is classic doublespeak.

However, if we did interpret that as "we're not showing Lynch's project" (I don't interpret it that way, personally)...

Does it leave open the prospect a film was submitted and not selected?
Last edited by Histeria on Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:28 pm Hmmm. I don't know. They too could be saving face and a smile can mean lots of things. "Coyly" is just the interviewer's interpretation. People smile when they know it's all one big joke too. They're still confirming they're not showing it though?

One thing I will say that I don't like - Variety seems to be leaning into this a lot rather than retracting/clarifying. So either they're confident in their sources or else they just feel it was rumours but justified by "predictions" in the article headline. The mention of social media reactions, though... It feels like they're having fun with this and enjoying the controversy and it all just makes it seems like clickbait and they're interested in generating buzz. It comes across like a publication that delights in rumour, not the Variety that is known to be so reliable. Are they changing? Are they becoming more gossipy-focused or do they know something/trust their sources? No idea. Just throwing some questions out there. A year ago, maybe two years ago, and 400 pages ago, I'd be more optimistic. I'm much more skeptical (and jaded) now than the person who kept trying to keep this thread alive way back then. But honestly I just don't know what to think.
Seems to me they specifically mentioned social media just as a natural way to bring up Lynch and try to get some answers. I don't know how much more there is to read into that. But I do still believe their sources are separate from Ruimy and Aftab.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Histeria wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:31 pm Does it leave open the prospect a film was submitted and not selected?
I think this is unlikely. I know they have complicated criteria but they'd be insane not to accept a Lynch work on their 75th Anniversary, potentially his first feature in 16 years or a new TV pilot? I can't see them rejecting a Lynch project no matter what it is and even if it didn't fully fit the criteria.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:36 pm
Histeria wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:31 pm Does it leave open the prospect a film was submitted and not selected?
I think this is unlikely. I know they have complicated criteria but they'd be insane not to accept a Lynch work on their 75th Anniversary, potentially his first feature in 16 years or a new TV pilot? I can't see them rejecting a Lynch project no matter what it is and even if it didn't fully fit the criteria.
I 100% agree with this.
mojo1976
Roadhouse Member

Post by mojo1976 »

Strange times we live in, when years ago, if someone reported something incorrectly or that turned out to just not be true, they would apologize, say their source(s) were misinformed or wrong, or retract their story. Now, they either lean into the incorrect story, hope people forget, or just "smile coyly" without admitting anything. It ruins their credibility.

My gut tells me he had something in the works, the pandemic made a mess of everything, deals fell through, and for whatever reason he's waiting things out (probably studio backing and actor schedules mostly). I did believe the rumors about a movie and some type of TP continuation and that the movie was his priority. But with we've all gone through in the last two years, it seems like the easier, sure bet for him would be to reverse those options and do whatever type of series he wanted to do with Showtime/Paramount. It seems like they would be eager to have another TP or TP spin-off on their platform(s), and Nevins did extend an invitation to Lynch if he wanted to do more.

Lastly, I just want to say another thank you to Dugpa and all the mods here. I'll miss this forum and look forward to Tulpa.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

mojo1976 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:51 pm Strange times we live in, when years ago, if someone reported something incorrectly or that turned out to just not be true, they would apologize, say their source(s) were misinformed or wrong, or retract their story. Now, they either lean into the incorrect story, hope people forget, or just "smile coyly" without admitting anything. It ruins their credibility.
Not sure that's entirely fair when the festival is a month away. They can't retract a story for being incorrect if they don’t think it's incorrect.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

I'm as blank as a fart.
I'll see you in the trees
Hopper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hopper »

Happy to read that smile, I guess, but I can't stand the word "prediction" in that Variety interview. You didn't "predict" anything, you run an (allegedly) exclusive! You tell us what happened!
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

The simplest explanation to me, if there is any smoke here, is that an early cut was submitted but won't be ready on time. I'm not sure if Cannes works this way but typically with film festivals there is the ability to submit a "working version" in advance of the deadline and a "final version" if selected. I have a friend who completed a feature last year and submitted a rough version to festivals like Sundance. This cut wasn't color corrected or sound mixed, contained a temp score and featured songs that weren't fully licensed yet. If accepted with that temp cut he was expected to clear the issues (ESPECIALLY the licensing) and submit a cleared version in time for the festival. He was actually accepted to a couple and his team had to scramble to get the film mixed and the licenses finalized in time. It's possible Lynch does have a feature he rushed to get submitted to Cannes in time, they obviously accepted it (it's Lynch) but he's running into issues with getting a final cut ready in time (clearing song licenses in time, actor releases, etc.). Perhaps it was decided internally that Lynch would bow out of Cannes and work on finishing the film at his own pace, perhaps in time for something like Venice (which has been rumored to be the plan with other directors with new works being completed like Ari Aster, Yorgos Lanthimos, Malick, etc.)

Still the biggest question to me, if there indeed is some in-progress film in the works...why the secrecy still? All the other filmmakers I mentioned rumored to have films in the works but not ready in time for Cannes are pretty well known. There's no secrecy that they are indeed making films. What is the point of hiding the existence of it if it's coming eventually? That's the part I don't really get. I get that Lynch prefers secrecy and doesn't want leaks but saying "there is a film in the works" is a lot different than spoilers and ruining the mystery of what the film is about.
Last edited by Ickles on Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Rainwater wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:04 pm I'm as blank as a fart.
LOOOL!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Attachments
tpfile.jpg
tpfile.jpg (106.63 KiB) Viewed 331144 times
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

And David’s song of the day in the weather report was My Prayer by The Platters.

I don’t know what to make of any of the whole Cannes fiasco. But with that I am signing off! This has been a short but important chapter of my life and I will miss this website very dearly. I can’t wait to talk with everyone over on Tulpa!

Aaaand I’ll see you…in the branches….
"Jade give two rides."