Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I think anything following on from the ending of Part 18 is carrying all the baggage of everything that came before, even if you change the names. The characters still have all that prior experience (whether in a literal sense or a more surreal/psychological Mulholland Drive-type sense), and so you still come back to the same issue that Netflix likely wouldn’t be interested unless they had the full series for people to catch up on.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Mordeen wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:27 pm
Cde. wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:41 am But does Mordeen actually know anything about this particular production, and would people be as interested in cracking these codes if they came from someone with no reputation for insider knowledge?
I'll quote this post too, without addressing either question posed.

- Mordeen
Now this is great hinting; subtle as it gets, but still says everything! Thank you, Mordeen :)
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

underthefan wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:13 am
Jonah wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:50 am
underthefan wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:33 am

I'm still confident a project is in pre-production at the moment but I don't think it's TP S4.
Why not?
I think because of Netflix and the licensing issues I talked about in my long post. It might still be TP-related in some way but not requiring the knowledge of what came previously.
There are no licencing issues. CBS won't tell Lynch he can't use old footage and Lynch and Frost have sole custody of the IP.

If Netflix and Lynch/Frost want to make more Twin Peaks then they'll make more Twin Peaks. It wouldn't be the first time Netflix has onboarded shows from other networks. If Lynch offers them a show they're not going to be picky on what it is. Twin Peaks would be a huge reputational coup for Netflix regardless of whether they can get its back catalogue fully licenced worldwide.

I personally don't see a distinction between "Twin Peaks Season Four" and "Carrie Page Season 1" even if the town Twin Peaks is never mentioned at all in the series. By "Season four" I assume most people mean "more stories set in the world inhabited by the man going by the name Dale Cooper"
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I don't mean licensing issues as far as reusing the old footage but in terms of licensing S1, S2, S3 and FWWM for Netflix's worldwide platforms which would cost a pretty penny.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Histeria wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:36 am
There are no licencing issues. CBS won't tell Lynch he can't use old footage and Lynch and Frost have sole custody of the IP.
I believe underthefan’s point was more about Netflix potentially being hesitant to continue a show where they don’t have the earlier seasons on their platform to binge...so they’re essentially sending new viewers to a competing streaming service to catch up and giving business to a competitor. I believe Bryan Fuller said this was an issue with selling a fourth season of Hannibal to streaming services as of a few years ago...no one was interested unless they could stream the earlier seasons so viewers could catch up, but those seasons were tied up in rights issues. (Of course, Hannibal reruns have since joined Netflix and now left it, and still no new episodes, so take that for what you will.)
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

When "Twin Peaks" was taken off pretty much all streaming services worldwide last year, very close to the anniversary convention at Graceland, and that TP Productions stripped the fan festivals of their licences, I took that as a sign that they were going to announce a continuation at the convention, as well as collecting everything under one roof.

Now a year later, we know that the existing seasons are going to be streamed on the CBS owned Paramount+ streaming service. Rumours seem to point towards Lynch working with Netflix, Mark Frost seems to be out permanently, and there have been no recent chatter about a rescheduled Twin Peaks convention. Long story short, it seemed like it was going to be happening again, but now underthefan's analysis is probably right. "Twin Peaks" would likely happen under the CBS umbrella or not at all.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

eyeboogers wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:31 am When "Twin Peaks" was taken off pretty much all streaming services worldwide last year, very close to the anniversary convention at Graceland, and that TP Productions stripped the fan festivals of their licences, I took that as a sign that they were going to announce a continuation at the convention, as well as collecting everything under one roof.

Now a year later, we know that the existing seasons are going to be streamed on the CBS owned Paramount+ streaming service. Rumours seem to point towards Lynch working with Netflix, Mark Frost seems to be out permanently, and there have been no recent chatter about a rescheduled Twin Peaks convention. Long story short, it seemed like it was going to be happening again, but now underthefan's analysis is probably right. "Twin Peaks" would likely happen under the CBS umbrella or not at all.
The first part is almost certainly correct according to reports and leaks over the last year. Not sure the second part follows. CBS own merchandising rights and presumably events. Those are the two things Frost and Lynch haven't been able to get back under one roof. Frost even discussed leaning on CBS and warning them not to take action against fan publications and magazines.

Lynch was involved with the fan convention putsch so it follows that there was prior agreement between CBS and Lynch over taking control of them. But not sure what that has to do with Netflix because the Netflix deal was struck in and around the taking over of fan conventions. Even if CBS was losing the next installment to Netflix it's still within their interests to leverage their assets which include some prior releases, merchandising, and events.

So if it's not Twin Peaks related at all (but was in 2019) then either Netflix has been dropped in the last year or the series was scrubbed of Twin Peaks connections in the last year. I don't see either as credible but also don't see the scenario that it was never anything to do with Twin Peaks as credible, either. So that leaves me where everything was in 2019 before the world shut down.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Lynch and Frost own the IP but CBS/Showtime own the distribution rights to S1, S2 and S3 while MK2 owns the FWWM rights. What may make the situation even more legally complicated is that Showtime sold worldwide distribution rights to The Return to various media entities (for example, in Eastern Europe HBO owns The Return distribution rights) so I'm not sure if that might mean that Netflix would have to negotiate those rights with each one of them individually. It's potentially a very complex issue.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

It might be complex if they insisted on having the entire series across every single market.

I just don't think that would be a deal breaker in this case. It might be for some shows, but not for a Lynch show. Not denying what you describe is difficult to organise, just that I don't think it's a prerequisite for Netflix to buy a new entry into the Twin Peaks series.

I guess it's possible Paramount Plus would step in to order it but I feel we'd have heard about that by now if Netflix wasn't involved anymore.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Netflix was removed from at least one PW listing.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

If it turns out to be a Paramount Plus project, then it's definitely TP! But my source that I trust said Netflix, unless something changed in the meantime.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

With regards to Netflix, well it definitely was removed from at least one PW listing. Not sure if this was significant. I sometimes wonder if Lynch was only spotted there because of that short movie he did for them. Then someone saw production documents with no studio attached and extrapolated from there - is that possible?

If it's Netflix, it's quite likely Unrecorded Night (aka Wisteria) is not TP-related, but may still have some TP characters. If a handful of characters from the original series appear in a brand new show, Netflix wouldn't necessarily want the full back catalogue on their service - and know both new fans and old fans and TP fans would tune in.

If it's CBS/Paramount, then cool. But in that case, why wouldn't it just be Showtime again? Are we sure it's not Showtime?

Now, here's a question. We have plenty of circumstantial evidence that a new project is brewing. But, aside from some of us hoping it is more Twin Peaks, do we have any evidence or strong indications (!) that it is? I think one of the scripts was copyrighted to Twin Peaks Productions? And Lynch previously speaking about a continuing story and having another story involving Carrie Page calling to him? Is that it? (And the latter's story could take place in a new show, so see above paragraph again in that case.)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

underthefan wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:10 am If it turns out to be a Paramount Plus project, then it's definitely TP! But my source that I trust said Netflix, unless something changed in the meantime.
Yeah I was happy to read your comment earlier this week about the Netflix thing. One aspect being corroborated is better than none. Bodes well for the rest of the things we're unsure of to date.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Histeria wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:27 am
underthefan wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:10 am If it turns out to be a Paramount Plus project, then it's definitely TP! But my source that I trust said Netflix, unless something changed in the meantime.
Yeah I was happy to read your comment earlier this week about the Netflix thing. One aspect being corroborated is better than none. Bodes well for the rest of the things we're unsure of to date.
Happy to help, Histeria! For what it's worth, I really do believe something is happening and I trust my source even if things can obviously change or fall through.
Jonah wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:16 am Now, here's a question. We have plenty of circumstantial evidence that a new project is brewing. But, aside from some of us hoping it is more Twin Peaks, do we have any evidence or strong indications (!) that it is? I think one of the scripts was copyrighted to Twin Peaks Productions? And Lynch previously speaking about a continuing story and having another story involving Carrie Page calling to him? Is that it? (And the latter's story could take place in a new show, so see above paragraph again in that case.)
Honestly, the only thing we have for sure is the TP Productions filing (which wasn't connected to the registered Unrecorded Night scripts). But who knows if that may have something to do with merchandising or event management. It's rather curious that Frost wasn't included on that filing but I really have no idea what that might mean.

The only other thing we have is TP cast members hints, but personally I'm not convinced they amount to much.