Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Histeria wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:28 am Fair enough. You're probably right.

There are some cracking coincidences that have had me wondering if it's evolutionary pattern recognition over stuff that's bound to occur randomly in a large enough dataset, or simply a statistical improbability that requires skepticism.

Stuff like a number not appearing for over 30 days then coming twice in a row. Or the slightly more common 1/1000 chance of three consecutive threes.
I love playing craps, and my best friend (who taught me to play) is a compulsive gambler. I’ll tell you, this kind of thing happens, someone rolling a “3” four, five times in a row. It’s wild, and my friend always buys into the “gambler’s fallacy” that streaks are a thing. Of course, really, each roll of the dice (or ping pong ball pick) is its own independent statistical probability. So today’s “3” is really one out of ten odds, although your point is taken. Two different ways of looking at the same thing.

Lynch continues demanding tracks from his volunteer radio hosts, with “Love and War” by Neil Young today (I don’t think this is a repeat, but can’t remember). Doesn’t look like he’s going anywhere.

Wonder if this whole “new project” thing is a scam/experiment to see how high he can get his YouTube viewership. ;)
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

wow, its a triple. today's number is a 3 !

in some senses I am surprised he never made Antelope dont run no more, since in the years that followed Inland, HD (and for that matter 2k/4k) cameras became better, sharper, cheaper, more accessible, and he coulda pioneered more homegrown digital features with all kinds of freedom, lighter equipment and less hassle.

but then again, maybe he got a lot out of his system with Inland Empire, and the whirlwind 16 country TM tour looked exhausting, particularly for someone who dreads public speaking, looks like more of a haul than a shooting schedule.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

It sounded like Antelope (like Ronnie Rocket) involved a lot of effects he would have needed a bigger budget for. Not huge, but not “personal project” level.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

yeah, there were aliens in Antelope I've read. I always thought it had some sorta connection to the Pinky's dream song, since it had a character named Pinky.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I think there were talking anthropomorphic animals too?
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

yeah, i cant remember if I read it was monkeys or cows, but he seems to gravitate between those, with Dream of the Bovine also. Lynch was able to have a low cost talking money in What Did Jack Do, worked fine for me.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:22 am yeah, i cant remember if I read it was monkeys or cows, but he seems to gravitate between those, with Dream of the Bovine also. Lynch was able to have a low cost talking money in What Did Jack Do, worked fine for me.
Fair point!

There’s also the anthropomorphic undead pig in Ronnie Rocket who says, “Life is a donut.” (What a great sentence that is to type.)
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I loved What Did Jack Do. I thought it was a fun little stage play that used absurdism, but a lot of universal truths to it, a rigid authority figure interrogating 'the other' and being close minded, dismissive, calling him a communist, etc.

i'll take 13 episodes of that.
David Lich
Roadhouse Member

Post by David Lich »

I just need to know if Lynch is doing new work... i honestly dont care if its not TP, even better if its something completely new, but, at the moment is all...

Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:53 am wow, its a triple. today's number is a 3 !

in some senses I am surprised he never made Antelope dont run no more, since in the years that followed Inland, HD (and for that matter 2k/4k) cameras became better, sharper, cheaper, more accessible, and he coulda pioneered more homegrown digital features with all kinds of freedom, lighter equipment and less hassle.

but then again, maybe he got a lot out of his system with Inland Empire, and the whirlwind 16 country TM tour looked exhausting, particularly for someone who dreads public speaking, looks like more of a haul than a shooting schedule.
It took him a while to even come round to the idea of HD though. Remember his comments around the time of Inland Empire about how he liked the way the cheap PD150 DV looked like low quality nitrate of the 20s and 30s (not sure too many would exactly agree with that lol but that's how he saw it!) and how he felt high definition cheapened the image because you could see the sets too cleanly? If I've got the timeline right, the first time he shot something in HD was the Crazy Clown Time music video in 2011. Even the Marion Cotillard Dior short film/commercial was in SD.

But in general I do agree with you it's strange he never made anything in between Inland Empire and The Return. Maybe he just realised it was too difficult/demanding in terms of actually financing it without haemorrhaging money and in actually shooting it, especially if it required anything more upmarket of Inland Empire's scope.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

yeah, I remember in like 2005 or 2006 or so, he mentioned something he saw that was HD, he could see the screws in the set wall.

I like Inland Empire, it's grown on me, but I always feel like I need glasses after watching it.

I'm not sure where he's coming from with the 1920-1930's emulsions, I've been watching Buster Keaton restorations recently on you tube,
from newly re scanned elements at 2k/4k, and maybe the emulsions had larger grain, but these films look really sharp to me.

It just seems odd that at the precise moment he wrote 'Catching the Big Fish', and declared filmmaking was more accessible,
and digital is here, we don't need celluloid, we're free to make what we want, he then bailed on making features entirely. wtf.

"The 3 R's" I think he shot in HD in 2011. I loved that thing. Only one minute long, but I liked it more than Inland Empire.
David Lich
Roadhouse Member

Post by David Lich »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:47 pm "The 3 R's" I think he shot in HD in 2011. I loved that thing. ..."
I LOVE that short, Really hoped we would see more of that kind of thing
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Jonah wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:49 am
madeleineferguson wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:48 am While it's frustrating not to have any more information on this new project, I'm sure Lynch is over the moon happy that there haven't been any more leaks.
I think people will be monitoring his weather and number videos closely.
garethw wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:07 am
A fun thought popped into my head recently: I wonder if he could start using pre-recorded weather reports. See how long it would take to notice that the report was not actually always accurate for the day. It would be an interesting experiment in perception. And gives him an alibi of being at his workshop while he's actually working on something else somewhere. "Unrecorded night" has a new fun connotation!

And here he is talking about recycling songs!

No hay banda. There is no weather man.

PS. In other news, I have probably been in lockdown too long.

I just had quick scan through his Youtube. He looks the same in all the videos. Almost identical shots of him giving weather reports, sitting in same position, wearing same clothes, same sunglasses. Same with number pulls, wearing same hat, same clothes, standing in same position. Surely it would be easy to film several days of these, even weeks of these, in advance without anyone noticing. Aren't his weather reports a little vague too and could apply to most days? Maybe he's already been doing this for quite awhile!

Take a quick scan of these thumbnails - they all look to have been shot within the same morning lol. https://www.youtube.com/c/DAVIDLYNCHTHEATER/videos
His beard looks to be growing though
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

krishnanspace wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:34 pm
His beard looks to be growing though
CGI
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

@David Lich

Interesting avatar you have there. :) Mind telling me where it's from?
Last edited by Agent Earle on Wed May 05, 2021 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.