Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Brad D
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Brad D »

Histeria wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:02 pm I thought Diane Keaton's direction was superb on S2E15. The episode (at least visually) felt curated and purposeful compared to the ones directly preceeding and following it. But I think this is an unpopular option?

Love her quote on what Lynch said to her, and it follows on neatly from what Brad said: "Do whatever you want" and "Heh heh. Goodbye. Here, you have any ideas? Do it."

Though Lynch is often cited as losing interest, Brad makes an impirtant point in that Frost was on autopilot, too. His surgical narrative precision and intellectual heft disappears completely and the show was left with all the clichéd kitsch but none of the auterish dexterity that elevated it.

Watching Twin Peaks the third time, I was less annoyed by Lynch's self-exile than I was with Frost ostensibly staying with his ship but watching idly as it sank.

There was a very good line in the NYT that encapsulated this: how the series' best and last episode was directly preceeded by its absolute rock-bottom worst.
I really enjoy Diane’s episode for what it is. Photographically, it’s quite distinct. (And another instance of Lynch being on set to greet Keaton in-person. You know the myth)

Frost wasnt exactly standing idly by. He got a film deal, and began developing Storyville. Can’t blame him for striking while the iron is hot, but it was another setback for TP as a whole.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Mordeen »

Brad D wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:20 am I enjoyed the sandbox / community art project of the original. So many great scripts/dialogue and episodes directed by people outside of Lynch and Frost...
I agree emphatically. I've always seen Twin Peaks (primarily season 2) as a tapestry woven by many artists to portray a vision of a collective mind of auteurs in abstract. It all worked for me, even when it was awkward.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Jasper wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:14 am We might be huffing pure air, but even after such a long time passing with nothing materializing, I’d probably still be putting the chances at near 100% that Lynch would take on a major new directorial project, but for the wildcard thrown in the mix.

card_.jpg

Even with that, I still think that the chances are that Lynch is indeed eventually going to get up to some big television or film project, because sooner or later his creative urge will become greater than his concern about whatever state things happen to be in at that time. Knock on wood.
This is what I want...
ZANEy Ace of Spades.jpg
ZANEy Ace of Spades.jpg (15.58 KiB) Viewed 4307 times
Credit to SN AH.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:50 pm
Esselgee wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:38 pm I saw some photos of Kyle shooting the Tiger King series or whatever it is. His hair is all gray now which I think is just his natural hair color now. I know he was pretty much all gray on Carol's Second Act, but he's starting to look old now. If TP did continue, would Lynch want him to dye his hair, or would he let him go with his natural look?
I read an interview where Kyle said he’s been dyeing his hair for pretty much his entire career. Here’s a 1990 article that mentions his hair being “heavily peppered with gray” way back then (as someone who started greying in his teens, I can identify): https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... b2c302b17/
A couple of those photographs were posted in the random thread. He’s obviously made up and dressed to appear older. It’s either that or the last few days have really taken a toll. :lol:

km.jpg
km.jpg (40.87 KiB) Viewed 4302 times

You can compare that to this very recent one where he’s out and about in Brisbane with no makeup on, on September 29, 2021.
https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan/sta ... 8248565771
FAdVdXMXsAs-AGM.jpg
FAdVdXMXsAs-AGM.jpg (212.12 KiB) Viewed 4302 times

June 11, 2021:
https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan/sta ... 1865582593
E4HW1IAXMAYhCBP.jpg
E4HW1IAXMAYhCBP.jpg (331.61 KiB) Viewed 4302 times

Here’s a video from May 20, 2021, and he doesn’t really look or sound any different than he does in season 3, aside from the glasses and absence of hair dye:

https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan/sta ... 7966521347

My guess is that if Twin Peaks was filmed anytime in the next few years, Kyle would dye his hair black again, or they’d do it so that it looks like just a little bit of gray is creeping in. It wouldn’t make sense if they jumped from pitch black to Kyle’s natural gray, although there is the precedent of Leland Palmer. :idea:
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Jasper wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:19 pm It wouldn’t make sense if they jumped from pitch black to Kyle’s natural gray, although there is the precedent of Leland Palmer. :idea:
At this point, they could dye his hair green or pink and we would analyze it to death, ultimately coming up with a lot of interesting theories along the way!
Last edited by Stavrogyn on Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

If anything, I think Kyle looks younger now rocking the grey than he did in Season 3. Anyway, even if he did look old - which, imo, he doesn't - who cares? This is Twin Peaks, not (insert generic teen show). I'm so against ageism in Hollywood. I hate even when they revive shows that they always need a younger element. We all get old. It's a fact of life. Art should also embrace that. Hollywood, give me a bunch of 70 or 80 year olds being chased by a killer or dealing with some mysterious plot - and don't throw their grandkids into it to appeal to the youth market. (There's been a couple like this but not many.)

Anyway, Kyle looks great. And many of the rest of the cast are much older.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Agreed! I think Lynch would relish his entire cast becoming very old and frail.

In case you haven't seen, True Detective III was such a breath of fresh stale air in this regard, Jonah. Albeit they used aging techniques.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Histeria wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:39 am Agreed! I think Lynch would relish his entire cast becoming very old and frail.

In case you haven't seen, True Detective III was such a breath of fresh stale air in this regard, Jonah. Albeit they used aging techniques.
Thanks, will add it to my long long list! Other notable examples might be the movie Bubba Ho-Tep, but apart from that all I can think of are Cocoon, Batteries Not Included, and the TV show The Golden Girls (not genre like the rest). I'm still waiting for them to film Stephen King's Insomnia which features protagonists in their 70's, but was written when King was in his 40's. Ironically, now that he IS in his 70's, his books seem to feature younger characters. I've been told to age down my own characters (from 30's to 20's, though there may have been other reasons for that) - and I notice most Dean Koontz novel feature characters in their early 30's even as he's continued writing into his 70's, so it's not just Hollywood that's ageist with narratives, publishing in general is too!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Jonah wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:29 am
To be honest, I still think there's a small chance we might see more TP - but I don't feel the possibility is strong anymore. Also, I think Sabrina's social media posts are not really hinting at that. Sure, there might be times when she is hinting a little bit (the "continuing story" and all that) but even then I think it's more her just being tongue-in-cheek. Sure, it might come across as a bit mean, but that's only to fans who are fervently waiting for more. To her, it's just fun social media posts for the most part.

I've got to say I don't agree with you generally on this. Sabrina still posting up photos of Lynch visiting locations before The Return started production, you can view it as just celebrating the enjoyment of that with us fans but I view it as more. My viewpoint is that Twin Peaks is still very much alive for Lynch and Sabrina and that is indicated by these posts. Combine that with the series of #wisteria posts and now Sabrina has opted to dye her hair a shade of wisteria two times. Okay, its a bit of fun but its indicative of where they are at creatively. I think something Peaks-related was planned for the 30th anniversary and thereafter.

In terms of the jokey comment I added to about a Twin Peaks universe, I really only meant in terms of broadening the scope of the show from purely Lynch taking the helm as with The Return. Certainly, if you have so many hours of Lynch is it really going to be as intense in feel in terms of his input compared to a season with a number of episodes directed by him throughout it, like in the first two seasons? This quote of 'pure heroin Lynch' I just see as David Nevins trying to make a statement that sold The Return to the big Lynch fans - which I think it did. But was it really 'pure heroin' Lynch? I don't think so. In comparison, I would view FWWM as a project more fitting that description. Whilst The Return had its more stand-out 'Lynch' moments you could say they were spread out evenly and almost tamed a little.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Last edited by Histeria on Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Still think you guys are reading way too much into her social media posts and emoticons, but I'd rather be wrong about it - just lots of speculation and getting one's hopes up can lead to crushing disappointment especially when those dropping the so-called hints have a history of disappointing results (e.g. Lynch's disappointing non-announcement, Kyle and Sherilyn walking back their #wisteria posts, Rebekkah Del Rio announcing a new album, not more TP - not sure Sabrina applies here yet, granted, but still). Having said that, it's really just my take and I used to be much more hopeful myself - so I'm not here to rain on anyone's parade. Please continue to speculate widly. I just don't want anyone to get disappointed again and I don't feel there's anything to her posts. At all. But as I said I'm more than happy to be wrong about that.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Last edited by Histeria on Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Can you be sure she even knows what all those emoticons mean? I don't - but I still use them sometimes. All I'm saying is, in general, I think it's probably better not to analyze social media posts too much. And emoticons especially. People post all kinds of stuff online, most of which means nothing. It's even possible she herself is trying to drum up some interest or is hoping one day Lynch will do more even if there's no concrete plan. And the long trail of #wisteria posts led nowhere. At least not yet. I'd rather focus more on buzz from insiders or comments from Lynch, Frost, directly. But this is a speculation thread - so I guess analyzing that stuff is par for the course. I'd just be careful not to read too much into things that might ultimately mean nothing. And, thus far, Sabrina has said a couple of times nothing is happening right now, and also I think at one point she said "this doesn't mean anything, I'm just posting it" - so that doesn't sound to me like someone who is also playing double duty and hinting as well. And if that is what she's doing - claiming nothing's happening, but also hinting and baiting people - then that's kind of not cool behavior.

I think the speculation was fun but ultimately disappointing so going to try not to surf those waves anymore myself. I'm going to keep my board on the beach until there's an actual announcement - or at least something so big it's impossible to deny (bigger even than Kyle posting #wisteria posts, maybe him saying "Yep we're doing more" or another set of dual Lynch/Frost tweets).
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Last edited by Histeria on Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Mordeen wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:27 pm
Brad D wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:20 am I enjoyed the sandbox / community art project of the original. So many great scripts/dialogue and episodes directed by people outside of Lynch and Frost...
I agree emphatically. I've always seen Twin Peaks (primarily season 2) as a tapestry woven by many artists to portray a vision of a collective mind of auteurs in abstract. It all worked for me, even when it was awkward.

- Mordeen
I'm always happy to hear that. Season two gets beat up, and had its problems after ep 14, but really, there's not one dispensable episode in the bunch. Ep 17 has a cool ending, and a very Richard-like Cooper going for it. Ep 18 has Hawk really laying the foundation for lodge lore, along with Denise Bryson's intro. 19, well... that's probably true rock bottom for the original run.