Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Jonah »

Yeah, 19 is the definite worst. "Twin Peaks: The Sitcom", very Lana-heavy and has scenes that make normally deft Hawk into a bumbling fool, leaning against doors and falling over. Very cringey. I recall 18 being quite poor too. Agreed that there's a lot of good stuff mixed in with the bad stretch, overall, though.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Agreed that 19 is probably the worst, notwithstanding the Dead Dog stuff and the final scene. But there really isn’t a single hour of Peaks that doesn’t have SOMETHING to recommend it.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Yeah I agree with that, there's some good stuff in all 48 episodes.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Me pouring some gasoline…

Leland’s death episode is the worst. Or the beginning of the worst.

Me striking a match.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Not to pour chlorine trifluoride on your open fire, Audrey, but I thought Cooper's pearly gates speech was a cringefest.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Hey Audrey - welcome to The Lodge! You did what the show never could (or got around to) - have Audrey Horne enter the lodge. (At least directly. The Return might have been eluding to her being there/in some area of the lodge, though we never saw her in the red room itself.)
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Stavrogyn wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:10 am
Jasper wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:19 pm It wouldn’t make sense if they jumped from pitch black to Kyle’s natural gray, although there is the precedent of Leland Palmer. :idea:
At this point, they could dye his hair green or pink and we would analyze it do death, ultimately coming up with a lot of interesting theories along the way!
Diane's hair did some notable color-shifting.

I recall that Lynch was not fond of Cooper wearing flannel in season 2. He said that the character of Coop should only wear the suit. It’s like the suit is part of Cooper’s body. I somewhat suspect that Lynch might have similar feelings about Cooper's black hair. That being said, they did in fact update his suit and hairstyle a little bit in season 3.
Jonah wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:09 am Other notable examples might be the movie Bubba Ho-Tep
Unexpected Bubba Ho-Top mention! I am in complete agreement about the shoehorning in of younger characters for no good reason.
Audrey Horne wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:51 pm Me pouring some gasoline…

Leland’s death episode is the worst. Or the beginning of the worst.

Me striking a match.
I definitely don't see it as the worst, but it's certainly the case, at least in my eyes, that some degree of tonal weirdness starts creeping in after episode 14.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Brad D wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:18 am
Mordeen wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:27 pm
Brad D wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:20 am I enjoyed the sandbox / community art project of the original. So many great scripts/dialogue and episodes directed by people outside of Lynch and Frost...
I agree emphatically. I've always seen Twin Peaks (primarily season 2) as a tapestry woven by many artists to portray a vision of a collective mind of auteurs in abstract. It all worked for me, even when it was awkward.

- Mordeen
I'm always happy to hear that. Season two gets beat up, and had its problems after ep 14, but really, there's not one dispensable episode in the bunch. Ep 17 has a cool ending, and a very Richard-like Cooper going for it. Ep 18 has Hawk really laying the foundation for lodge lore, along with Denise Bryson's intro. 19, well... that's probably true rock bottom for the original run.
One thing I've noticed is that most folks have a love/hate relationship with Twin Peaks as a whole, even into The Return. It's fair to criticize any part of it, but would it be as memorable and lasting without the sum of its parts?

I think not.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Histeria wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:25 am There are very few uses of that term/word/emoji. Why use it when the only connotation it has in common usage is the opposite of the statement that preceded it. According to Emoji Dictionary: it implies deceit, a call for attention to an otherwise innocuous statement, or an insinuation of insider knowledge.

It's one very small step away from just typing *wink wink* and there does not appear to be any particular reason for finishing a very definitive statement with it.

Imagine this:

"Lynch hasn't opened a cafe in Spain. What an odd thing to say 👀👀"
This definition is quite intriguing. Of course, we must wonder whether or not Sabrina is aware of the definition. I didn’t think much about it previously, because I had no idea what these eyes are supposed to indicate in emoji culture. I sort of thought that it might merely represent the peaking eyes of the “curious people” that she’d mentioned immediately before the emoji. I much prefer the implications of your more informed interpretation, and naturally I’d prefer for it to be the real meaning. We must keep hope alive!

I can’t stand to see you and Jonah losing optimism, so I’ll provide the following wildly optimistic interpretation.

Who is being referenced in the below image? It’s an iconic secret agent. You could even call him a special agent. That’s right, agent, and Kyle is raising his eyebrow as if to say, “Might it be that I’ll soon be playing a certain beloved agent myself? Hmmm?”

June 11, 2021:
https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan/sta ... 1865582593

Oh, but that’s not all.

From Wikipedia:
It was not until the penultimate novel, You Only Live Twice, that Fleming gave Bond a sense of family background. The book was the first to be written after the release of Dr. No in cinemas and Sean Connery's depiction of Bond affected Fleming's interpretation of the character, to give Bond both a sense of humour and Scottish antecedents that were not present in the previous stories.
Also from Wikipedia:
[Kyle] MacLachlan was born Kyle Merritt McLachlan (subsequently changing the spelling of his name to reflect his Scottish heritage)
I rest my case!
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Jasper wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:41 pm I can’t stand to see you and Jonah losing optimism, so I’ll provide the following wildly optimistic interpretation.

Who is being referenced in the below image? It’s an iconic secret agent. You could even call him a special agent. That’s right, agent, and Kyle is raising his eyebrow as if to say, “Might it be that I’ll soon be playing a certain beloved agent myself? Hmmm?”

June 11, 2021:
https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan/sta ... 1865582593

Oh, but that’s not all.

From Wikipedia:
It was not until the penultimate novel, You Only Live Twice, that Fleming gave Bond a sense of family background. The book was the first to be written after the release of Dr. No in cinemas and Sean Connery's depiction of Bond affected Fleming's interpretation of the character, to give Bond both a sense of humour and Scottish antecedents that were not present in the previous stories.
Also from Wikipedia:
[Kyle] MacLachlan was born Kyle Merritt McLachlan (subsequently changing the spelling of his name to reflect his Scottish heritage)
I rest my case!
Made me smile for a good long while.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Histeria wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:48 pm Made me smile for a good long while.
Glad to help!
sa_dbc.png
sa_dbc.png (192.3 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
There's also a phenomenal portrait photo of Kyle in this tux without the glasses on Jerry Horne's twitter:

https://twitter.com/TwinPeaksArchve/sta ... 5047524352
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Jasper wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:08 am
Glad to help!

sa_dbc.png

There's also a phenomenal portrait photo of Kyle in this tux without the glasses on Jerry Horne's twitter:

A thread dedicated to faux Wisteria speculation and investigations with the most outlandish conspiracy theories possible (on purpose this time) would be rather fun and cathartic, I feel.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

[/quote]
One thing I've noticed is that most folks have a love/hate relationship with Twin Peaks as a whole, even into The Return. It's fair to criticize any part of it, but would it be as memorable and lasting without the sum of its parts?

I think not.

- Mordeen
[/quote]

Could not have said it better
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Jasper wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:41 pm[Kyle] MacLachlan was born Kyle Merritt McLachlan (subsequently changing the spelling of his name to reflect his Scottish heritage)
"Who do you think that is there?!"
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Histeria wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:09 am
Jasper wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:08 am
Glad to help!

sa_dbc.png

A thread dedicated to faux Wisteria speculation and investigations with the most outlandish conspiracy theories possible (on purpose this time) would be rather fun and cathartic, I feel.
This forum needs jokes badly. We had all sorts of fun when Twin Peaks was back in style, but idle hands are the devil's forum.

Bring it on.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .