Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

krishnanspace wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:30 am But didn’t say in an interview that the final scene at the Palmer house was decided long time ago.
My feeling is that they deliberately left a lot of plot points open for a possible sequel
I think what Soolsma and others mean is that L/F may not agree (or even know in Lynch’s case) what the scream “means,” what happens after the lights go out, etc. i think for Lynch it’s a more intuitive/dreamlike thing, whereas Frost went a more conventional sci-fi direction in his book that I doubt Lynch would follow in a S4.

One of the most enlightening bits in the Bushman book vis a vis the L/F collaboration is when Mark says he was writing TR to be modeled on the Odyssey, but he avoided explicitly saying this to Lynch, because Lynch wasn’t really familiar with it. Really gives you a sense of how they communicate (or don’t) while working together.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Waiting for Unrecorded NIght/Wisteria news:

Checking and reloading this thread like:
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Hi Everyone!

Been a lurker here for a while and finally decided to make an account. I keep coming back to a comment by Mark Frost in an interview with Variety in 2017 after The Final Dossier came out. He said "David and I talked for a year before we ever started working, so there’s no doubt that some of those ideas [in the new book] came up during that period of time. But also, you know, it was [me saying], “David, you go make the show, and do what you do best, and I’m gonna do that with the books.” It sounds as though there is precedent for Mark Frost leaving TP Productions so that David could go on for a season 4

Here's the link to the article if anyone wants to continue reading https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/mark-f ... 202603360/

Glad to be apart of the forum!
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

DougieJones wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:54 am Hi Everyone!

Been a lurker here for a while and finally decided to make an account. I keep coming back to a comment by Mark Frost in an interview with Variety in 2017 after The Final Dossier came out. He said "David and I talked for a year before we ever started working, so there’s no doubt that some of those ideas [in the new book] came up during that period of time. But also, you know, it was [me saying], “David, you go make the show, and do what you do best, and I’m gonna do that with the books.” It sounds as though there is precedent for Mark Frost leaving TP Productions so that David could go on for a season 4

Here's the link to the article if anyone wants to continue reading https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/mark-f ... 202603360/

Glad to be apart of the forum!
Welcome to the board, DougieJones - great first post and I love your profile picture. Yeah, I think maybe MF feels he said all he had to say about TP with his books - or maybe he's planning another book to coincide with a continuation, but in either scenario feels content enough to step back from any filmed versions of the show.
Last edited by Jonah on Thu May 06, 2021 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Haha thank you! It's one of my favorite pictures. I think Mark Frost is done with Twin Peaks as it is, the title of The Final Dossier pretty much sums it up for me. I keep going back and forth on whether or not this will be a season 4 but Lynch saying that if there will be one it would be in 2021 lines up with whatever Wisteria is. Also in a few interviews Kyle says that the sole arbitrator of Twin Peaks is Lynch and not both Lynch and Frost. Maybe he knows something behind the scenes about the TP Productions filings?
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

DougieJones wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:10 am Haha thank you! It's one of my favorite pictures. I think Mark Frost is done with Twin Peaks as it is, the title of The Final Dossier pretty much sums it up for me. I keep going back and forth on whether or not this will be a season 4 but Lynch saying that if there will be one it would be in 2021 lines up with whatever Wisteria is. Also in a few interviews Kyle says that the sole arbitrator of Twin Peaks is Lynch and not both Lynch and Frost. Maybe he knows something behind the scenes about the TP Productions filings?
I was starting to think it was a completely new project, but then all this talk of MF transferring management to Lynch has me wondering. Right now I'm leaning towards some sort of anthology/TP-related/adjacent series as I've said before, a series of mini-movies like the original rumour stated, maybe one is following Carrie and Richard, another might feature some of the cast in TP, another is Antelope, another Ronnie Rocket, then something entirely new again, etc. etc.
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

Jonah wrote:Ronnie Rocket
DONT PLAY WITH MY HEART LIKE THAT JONAH

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Welcome aboard, DougieJones!
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Histeria wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:37 am https://twitter.com/fatecolossal/status ... 76459?s=19

Interesting comments by Dern that would suggest they're being cautious about starting production to avoid costly stoppages if there's another Covid-19 flare-up.

If, of course, she's referring referring Lynch at all when saying "friends."
Is there any more to it than in fatecolossal's tweets? If not then I can't get excited by this as she could literally be talking about anyone she works with. I know there's the 'shaved head for a Lynch role' stuff but I'm starting to get weary of joining all these imaginary dots together and nothing happening.

COVID is likely going to be with us forever unfortunately. I guess showbiz just needs to work out how to operate around it.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

yeah, I saw the fate colassal tweet about Dern. an account called @TheHeartBroke says she basically confirmed Unrecorded/Wisteria
by saying working with friends.. maybe..

that rules out a Vice Admiral Holdo prequel probably...

but could also mean Noah Baumbach's White Noise project maybe. dunno.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

It is interesting that she and Kyle both have nothing really listed on IMDB as upcoming projects (apart from JP3 for Dern in post-production). I know it's not an accurate site, but often you'd see a lot of projects in "announced" or "pre-production" status, and I have seen such projects for both of them in the past, but right now their respective pages have no projects like this listed - and not just because of the pandemic as a lot of other actors have a lot of upcoming projects listed.

But, even though I have fun with the links and speculation myself, I too am growing a bit weary of it. When do you all think we'll either a) get announcement or b) such a big hint that it leaves little doubt the project is forthcoming and whether it's TP-related or not?
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

nice new avatar Jonah.

yeah, that is kinda funny, Laura Dern doesnt have any new projects listed in pre prod or developed on her imdb page, or Kyle, weird.

Balthazar has these two Eric Charles projects, Fall from Grace which has been trying to get off the ground for like 8 years.
and supposedly, Down by the Water.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:33 am nice new avatar Jonah.

yeah, that is kinda funny, Laura Dern doesnt have any new projects listed in pre prod or developed on her imdb page, or Kyle, weird.

Balthazar has these two Eric Charles projects, Fall from Grace which has been trying to get off the ground for like 8 years.
and supposedly, Down by the Water.
Thanks - it's one I had before the VHS cover, and before that I had Harriet Hayward (along with the full blossom quote) and Josie in the drawer pull, felt like switching back to the Maddy one for awhile, might go back to Harriet or Josie or just create a brand new one! But sticking with Maddy for now lol.

It is funny how both Kyle and Laura Dern look to have freed up time - especially if the shoot is 200 days (not that they'd be both shooting for that long) and they've both made references to physical changes (in Dern's case specifically mentioned Lynch asked her to shave her head, in Kyle's case could be for his own projects and/or "something big"). I know I might be reaching a bit, but as I noted before, coupled with their IMDB pages, I do think there's something there - I think they're both keeping their slate clean to start shooting with Lynch, whether it's TP-related or not.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

RE: IMDB

Cast members upcoming projects (only really counting announced, filming, or pre-production, not completed or post-production even though they're technically upcoming projects, though I might mention them here or there)

David Lynch - Unrecorded Night listed as pre-production
Kyle MacLachlan - no upcoming projects listed, last listed project was just-released "Atlantic Crossing"
Laura Dern - no upcoming projects listed, one upcoming project that's completed (JW3)
Sheryl Lee - one upcoming project listed (pre-production), a second recently finished
Sherilyn Fenn* - one upcoming project listed (filming)
Michael Horse - three upcoming projects (one in pre-production, two announced) and a fourth that recently finished
Chrysta Bell - no upcoming projects listed, one recently finished
Kimmy Robertson - no upcoming projects, one recently finished
Harry Goaz - no upcoming projects listed
Naomi Watts - one upcoming project (in pre-production), several recently finished
Al Stobel - no upcoming projects listed
Mädchen Amick - no upcoming projects listed, though might still be working on "Riverdale" but nothing listed for summer hiatus
Dana Ashbrook - no upcoming projects listed, one recently finished
David Patrick Kelly - no upcoming projects listed, two recently finished
Richard Beymer - no upcoming projects listed
Jim Belushi - one filming (a video game), one recently completed, no major upcoming projects listed
Robert Knepper - no upcoming projects listed, a few recently completed
Don Murray - no upcoming projects listed, one recently completed
Ray Wise - one announced/rumoured project, several recently completed
Everett McGill - no upcoming projects listed
Alicia Witt - one filming, one recently completed
Phoebe Augustine - no upcoming projects listed
Scott Coffey** - - no upcoming projects listed, one recently completed
Grace Zabriskie - no upcoming projects listed, one voice role recently completed
Amanda Seyfried - what looks to be a new show (a mini-series) in pre-production
Russ Tamblyn - no upcoming projects listed
Caleb Landry Jones - no upcoming projects, a few just completed
Amy Shiels - no upcoming projects listed, one recently completed
James Marshall - no upcoming projects listed, a few just completed

Who else is worth checking/likely to be involved? And not some of the original cast members who often don't have many projects anyway, but someone who could be involved and often is busy?

*I know Sherilyn Fenn said she's not involved in the latest interview (if that's what she actually said and if the translation is correct), but apart from one project listed as filming, she's also got no upcoming projects - and she's had several credits/has been busy since The Return.

** Didn't he say Lynch told him he'd have a bigger role in the next season?

Edit - checking pages on IMDB lol (bored)
Last edited by Jonah on Thu May 06, 2021 10:11 am, edited 15 times in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Laura Dern has lots of friends in Hollywood. It’s tough to take much of anything from that quote beyond some friends of hers are trying to start work in the summer, and the industry is struggling with COVID. I appreciate the work fatecolossal is doing in compiling all this stuff, but I think (s)he is grasping at straws on this one.