Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Stavrogyn »

Histeria wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:55 am Not too late at all. Zoom meeting links and passcodes have been published and there will be live YouTube links, too.

There's eight French presentations and 16 English ones. The schedule on the left is the French rota. The rest is English.

That surprise party sounds intriguing, too.
Thank you for the heads-up and the info, Histeria!

I will spend most of the Saturday travelling, so I'm not sure if I will be able to join the event then - and yes, the surprise party does sound interesting - but I will at least try to attend the Proust lecture on Sunday.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jonah wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:00 am I'd like Carey Mulligan too.

I'd also love Kathy Bates. I was super excited for Jennifer Jason Leigh in The Return, but didn't like her role.
Wasn't her role in TP:TR kind of a classic Jennifer Jason Leigh type role?

BTW, I had no idea until recently she is Vic Morrow's daughter.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Let’s post memes regarding season 4 on Instagram and see if Sabrina likes them. Then we know for sure if it’s Twin peaks :wink:
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

krishnanspace wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:23 am Let’s post memes regarding season 4 on Instagram and see if Sabrina likes them. Then we know for sure if it’s Twin peaks :wink:
https://twitter.com/Caio_naoKaio/status ... 69957?s=19

:lol:
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

mtwentz wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:22 am Wasn't her role in TP:TR kind of a classic Jennifer Jason Leigh type role?
I suppose it was reflective of some of her early roles but not those I love her from the most such as "Dolores Claiborne". I just found her and Tim Roth's characters to be one-note, one-joke, and overall annoying and unfunny, though I loved the actors.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Histeria wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:13 am OK so casting sweepstakes. Who's the left-field non-rumoured actor you guess is gonna be in this?

My stab in the dark: Gwendoline Christie.
Based on one random picture of a wisteria colored puff of smoke with no context on his IG I'm going to guess Timothee Chalamet. How's that for some next level social media speculation!

Also: at the risk of making a fun topic into a semi-serious one...hopefully/probably (?) an actor of color. I think Netflix has, if not an official mandate, at least a general push to inclusion and diversity in their original content and, really, the general landscape of Hollywood is one where an all-white cast in a major series might raise some eyebrows. With the main cast ostensibly being the usual suspects/S3 folks I could see Sabrina/the network pushing for more diversity in the casting of new characters/non-established roles. So with that in the back of my mind I'm going to say LaKeith Stanfield. I think he could be great in a Lynch project. Diego Luna always struck me as somebody who could pull off a Lynch role too.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Ickles wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:48 am Also: at the risk of making a fun topic into a semi-serious one...hopefully/probably (?) an actor of color. I think Netflix has, if not an official mandate, at least a general push to inclusion and diversity in their original content and, really, the general landscape of Hollywood is one where an all-white cast in a major series might raise some eyebrows. With the main cast ostensibly being the usual suspects/S3 folks I could see Sabrina/the network pushing for more diversity in the casting of new characters/non-established roles. So with that in the back of my mind I'm going to say LaKeith Stanfield. I think he could be great in a Lynch project. Diego Luna always struck me as somebody who could pull off a Lynch role too.
If Lynch experiences any kind of pressure from Netflix, I would rather see him throw the project in the garbage can than comply.

I absolutely HATE and DESPISE the ambition of "diverse casting". So yes, such posts are a risk in terms over making a fun topic into a semi-serious one. This is a controversial political topic that divides people, and this is why I believe it to be forbidden.

To think that Lynch would deliberately cast a person of colour to meet the current climate, it almost makes me cry out of despair , anger and frustration.
Last edited by Rhodes on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Shia labeouf would also be a perfect Lynch actor
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jonah wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:36 am
mtwentz wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:22 am Wasn't her role in TP:TR kind of a classic Jennifer Jason Leigh type role?
I suppose it was reflective of some of her early roles but not those I love her from the most such as "Dolores Claiborne". I just found her and Tim Roth's characters to be one-note, one-joke, and overall annoying and unfunny, though I loved the actors.
It wasn't my favorite part of The Return by any means- I saw it is a jab in the finger at Tarantino, but it didn't quite hit the mark that I think they were going for. Some of the dialogue was cute, but didn't come close to Tarantino's best.

But it pretty much fulfilled my expectations of the type of role JJL would have.
Last edited by mtwentz on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Ickles wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:48 am Also: at the risk of making a fun topic into a semi-serious one...hopefully/probably (?) an actor of color. I think Netflix has, if not an official mandate, at least a general push to inclusion and diversity in their original content and, really, the general landscape of Hollywood is one where an all-white cast in a major series might raise some eyebrows. With the main cast ostensibly being the usual suspects/S3 folks I could see Sabrina/the network pushing for more diversity in the casting of new characters/non-established roles. So with that in the back of my mind I'm going to say LaKeith Stanfield. I think he could be great in a Lynch project. Diego Luna always struck me as somebody who could pull off a Lynch role too.
Lynch's films, imo, hold a mirror up to White America in a very specific way and making the town of Twin Peaks more diverse without any attempt at a dialogue with that diversity will just paint non-white folks as complicit in their own victimhood. And if there's a dialogue, is Lynch really the right person to conduct it?

I do feel there's artistic merit in the overwhelming whiteness of his films in a way there isn't for the vast majority of other properties.

It was extremely regrettable that one of the only black characters in The Return was a sex worker, though.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Histeria wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:59 am It was extremely regrettable that one of the only black characters in The Return was a sex worker, though.
What's next, was it regrettable that Lynch made two films about "women in trouble"? Should he have made movies about "women with agency"?

Why do lovers of art always support the (leftwing) ideology that is the natural enemy of free expression and art? :?
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Rhodes wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:03 am What's next, was it regrettable that Lynch made two films about "women in trouble"? Should he have made movies about "women with agency"?

Why do lovers of art always support the (leftwing) ideology that is the natural enemy of free expression and art? :?

Lol. No one questions his freedom to express it. You, however, seem to question my freedom to express a critique of it.

And your hypothesis makes no sense. Art is nothing without critique and critique isn't a "leftist" concept. I don't even consider myself of the left, for that matter.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Histeria wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:05 am Lol. No one questions his freedom to express it. You, however, seem to question my freedom to express a critique of it.
Did you read Ickle's post about the Netflix policy? Lynch freedom of expression (and not only his) is very much threatened. It is not imagined. All kinds of institutions are under attack by identity politics.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Right and presumably Showtime also infringed on his 1st amendment rights by forcing him to shoot in 4K over using iPhones.

Because Lynch is really going to cry himself to sleep tonight because Reed Hastings told him at least two Roadhouse floor sweepers must be Asian this time. Like they forced him to come and take their money to make a TV show or something. Or they're holding him under duress at Calvert.

Did you read what Sabrina herself said about this years ago, before the Netflix deal? She speaks on Lynch's behalf there, too. It will be grim reading, I suspect.
Last edited by Histeria on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Wow. From not knowing if anything new of Lynch is in the works to discussing who we'd like to see in it. We sure came a long way these last few days! :shock: