Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Metamorphia »

Not sure if this has been posted or if it's already a given by now, but this article about the new 4K restoration of Mulholland Drive playing at Cannes confirms Lynch was at Photokem to supervise its HDR grade:

https://www.festival-cannes.com/en/fest ... eclatant-3
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

I have to say I liked a lot of the new additions to the cast and their characters. I can easily separate a fictional character from what their real-life counterpart would be. For example, Caleb Landry Jones was great, and I was intrigued by his character, even though in real life he would hardly have any redeeming qualities. (Take Hans Landa from Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds as an example of what I'm talking about: I absolutely love that character, but in real life, of course, he would be a monstrous war criminal.)

The new characters I really liked were Janey-E - maybe because I like Naomi Watts, but her character was also so nice, sweet, and strong at the same time that it made it impossible for me not to like her - and the Mitchum brothers, who were among the highlights of The Return to me, and I really enjoyed their friendship with Cooper. They start as gangsters we expect to be sleazy, but turn out to be actually nice and friendly guys - moral implications of their "profession" aside. (I really love it that they are there with the rest of the characters in the sheriff's office in part 17.)

I also enjoyed Tim Roth and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

On a side note, an actor that would be perfect for the new Twin Peaks - and who also already worked with David Lynch on two occasions - is Crispin Glover.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I am hearing about the Delta variant outbreaks in Europe and Asia...

...and I am sorry I downplayed it in the previous post. I will not be surprised if a lot of TV/movie productions are further delayed.

I won't hold my breath for Unrecorded Night becoming a reality anytime soon.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

mtwentz wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:46 am I am hearing about the Delta variant outbreaks in Europe and Asia...

...and I am sorry I downplayed it in the previous post. I will not be surprised if a lot of TV/movie productions are further delayed.

Not sure why this will be a specific concern for UN when the rest of the industry is plowing ahead and trying to make up for lost production time and fixing a bottleneck of output on the supply side.

Netflix, for example, is spending record numbers on content this year and have been hiring hundreds of Covid Compliance officers in the last month or so.

There haven't been any reports of further industry-wide production blackouts, so we'd have to assume UN is a huge outlier in that regard. Until last week, I had thought delays to date may have been fatal for the project. But less so now.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Histeria wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:05 am
mtwentz wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:46 am I am hearing about the Delta variant outbreaks in Europe and Asia...

Not sure why this will be a specific concern for UN when the rest of the industry is plowing ahead and trying to make up for lost production time and fixing a bottleneck of output on the supply side.

Netflix, for example, is spending record numbers on content this year and have been hiring hundreds of Covid Compliance officers in the last month or so.

There haven't been any reports of further industry-wide production blackouts, so we'd have to assume UN is a huge outlier in that regard. Until last week, I had thought delays to date may have been fatal for the project. But less so now.
That makes me feel better. I was just reading bad news out of Europe and Asia! Maybe it won't hit so hard in the U.S. because of our vaccination rate.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Stavrogyn wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:45 am For example, Caleb Landry Jones was great, and I was intrigued by his character, even though in real life he would hardly have any redeeming qualities. (Take Hans Landa from Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds as an example of what I'm talking about: I absolutely love that character, but in real life, of course, he would be a monstrous war criminal.)
Steven didn't really have any redeeming qualities that I could see. At the same time, I as a viewer kind of felt sorry for him. There appeared to be no real economic opportunity in the town. His future was grim, so he buried himself in drugs. Would like to have seen him and Becky fleshed out a little more, but looks like they were both dead by the end of The Return.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

mtwentz wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:11 am
Stavrogyn wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:45 am For example, Caleb Landry Jones was great, and I was intrigued by his character, even though in real life he would hardly have any redeeming qualities. (Take Hans Landa from Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds as an example of what I'm talking about: I absolutely love that character, but in real life, of course, he would be a monstrous war criminal.)
Steven didn't really have any redeeming qualities that I could see. At the same time, I as a viewer kind of felt sorry for him. There appeared to be no real economic opportunity in the town. His future was grim, so he buried himself in drugs. Would like to have seen him and Becky fleshed out a little more, but looks like they were both dead by the end of The Return.
I agree. And even though it would have been nice to see more of these characters, I still feel the point was made, no matter how limited their screen presence was.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I have mixed thoughts on this issue. I don't really know where I stand on it.

They're filming loads and loads of stuff. Even in the handful of things I like and follow there's quite a few new things filming or already filmed - including the new Dexter revival, the new Scream movie, a new Indiana Jones movie, etc. I understand Lynch is older (though younger than Harrison Ford!) and a smoker so in a high-risk age group, but can't see why it would specifically stop a new production otherwise, and he may do some remote directing. But not sure. Maybe that is the reason it's been delayed.

The singer Tori Amos - one of the few singers I actually follow - just announced a major European tour for next winter, February and March, throughout Europe. Now admittedly, I am a bit reluctant to go to them as I feel there could be another variant or outbreak surging then in winter, even though everyone - or most - should be fully vaccinated by then. However, the London shows practically sold out this morning within an hour so seems I might be alone with this concern? Nevertheless was a bit surprised they jumped right back into indoor concerts and in winter nonetheless, rather than outdoor ones in late summer/autumn/next spring.

Seems like the whole world is still moving in entertainment circles at least, but from my own vantage point my own corner of the world is still pretty locked down. I agree the reports about variants are troubling though, have also heard of fully vaccinated people contracting the virus at outdoor weddings, etc. I understand the concept of breakthrough infections, but if fully vaccinated people can still get it at outdoor venues, what does that mean for indoor concerts and film productions?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Among the people I know, everyone either already got vaccinated or had the virus - so hardly anyone is concerned about it anymore. I personally contracted the virus on May 1st, together with a few people very close to me, but since we are all young, no one experienced any kind of more serious consequences. (I would guess that now I know at least 30 people who had the virus.) At this point, the numbers have fallen so low in my country that it seems like the virus is finally going away, and I hope that the summer is not the main reason for that, but precisely the fact that most of the people either already had the virus or are now vaccinated.

But I live in a small country. I know that the situation is much more difficult in more populated parts of the world.
Last edited by Stavrogyn on Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

I another small country (Denmark) our numbers have five doubled in a couple of weeks, due to Eurocup parties :-(
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

eyeboogers wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:04 am I another small country (Denmark) our numbers have five doubled in a couple of weeks, due to Eurocup parties :-(
Oh, yeah, I can imagine :o My people are the same: if we are winning, there is no stopping us going to the streets and celebrating like crazy.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

To me, the Return showed just how little had changed in the town of Twin Peaks, or with its residents. Norma & Ed & Nadine: same story from 25 years ago. Dr Jacoby was still a nut. Becky & Stephen were basically parallels of Shelly & Leo. Heidi was still giggling. Bobby and James hadn’t changed much at all, and neither had Lucy, Andy, Margaret or Hawk. The Horne family, save Audrey, was exactly the same. Sarah Palmer had changed, although… maybe she was always that way?

It makes me wonder: were most of their stories already complete?

If there is a season 4 of Twin Peaks, I’d expect it to be something completely different. The TP Universe as we know it, upended. An actual continuation from Part 18.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

That's a good point. The town didn't feel the same to me but a lot of the characters still seemed to be the same/in the same storylines. I loved the resolution for Big Ed and Norma. But it did feel a bit jarring too and a bit too quick. It seemed like they were still stuck in the same storyline as 25 years ago that may have been resolved sooner had there been other seasons, then it's very suddenly resolved in The Return. It felt a bit artificial - but I still liked it.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

madeleineferguson wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:46 pm To me, the Return showed just how little had changed in the town of Twin Peaks, or with its residents. Norma & Ed & Nadine: same story from 25 years ago. Dr Jacoby was still a nut. Becky & Stephen were basically parallels of Shelly & Leo. Heidi was still giggling. Bobby and James hadn’t changed much at all, and neither had Lucy, Andy, Margaret or Hawk. The Horne family, save Audrey, was exactly the same. Sarah Palmer had changed, although… maybe she was always that way?

Yes, for as much as the town seemed to reflect decay, the characters seemed to be stuck...caught in a loop of their own, repeating the past. That stasis definitely seemed intentional to me, too.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

LateReg wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:19 pm
madeleineferguson wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:46 pm To me, the Return showed just how little had changed in the town of Twin Peaks, or with its residents. Norma & Ed & Nadine: same story from 25 years ago. Dr Jacoby was still a nut. Becky & Stephen were basically parallels of Shelly & Leo. Heidi was still giggling. Bobby and James hadn’t changed much at all, and neither had Lucy, Andy, Margaret or Hawk. The Horne family, save Audrey, was exactly the same. Sarah Palmer had changed, although… maybe she was always that way?

Yes, for as much as the town seemed to reflect decay, the characters seemed to be stuck...caught in a loop of their own, repeating the past. That stasis definitely seemed intentional to me, too.
Shelly yes; Bobby NOOOOOO
F*&^ you Gene Kelly